Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT career

Options
  • 29-07-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there, I want to get myself into an IT job and make a career out if it, i don't have any 3rd level qualifications and can't really afford to go back to college full time. Would I benefit much from doing an online course or just some relative Certs that might take 6 months to a year to complete and work my way up on the inside, or do I really need a 3rd level qualification to stand any chance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Pashine wrote: »
    Hi there, I want to get myself into an IT job and make a career out if it, i don't have any 3rd level qualifications and can't really afford to go back to college full time. Would I benefit much from doing an online course or just some relative Certs that might take 6 months to a year to complete and work my way up on the inside, or do I really need a 3rd level qualification to stand any chance?

I was in a similar position to you about a year ago..was self employed for 8 years and needed a career change. Did 3 certs ( a+, n+ and a Microsoft mcts ).. got a job nearly straight away. Was low paid but got experience and moved onto something with much better pay 4 months later.

I'll be doing another cert soon, prob server 2012. Certs will helps you get in the door where you will gain experience ..from here you can go far if you are good and put the work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

"IT" covers many different sub-fields. You could start with a COMPTIA A+ PC technician course perhaps. Some free online training videos are here: http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/free-a-plus/

edit: if your unemployed you can do it free with FAS or whatever they call themselves these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pashine

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I was in a similar position to you about a year ago..was self employed for 8 years and needed a career change. Did 3 certs ( a+, n+ and a Microsoft mcts ).. got a job nearly straight away. Was low paid but got experience and moved onto something with much better pay 4 months later.

I'll be doing another cert soon, prob server 2012. Certs will helps you get in the door where you will gain experience ..from here you can go far if you are good and put the work in.

Ok cool! How long does it take to complete the Certs you mentioned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I did them through fas. , full time Mon-Fri, guts of a year for the 3 of them..heaps of hands on practicals..in some cases we were thought well beyond what the syllabus required so learnt a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pashine

I did them through fas. , full time Mon-Fri, guts of a year for the 3 of them..heaps of hands on practicals..in some cases we were thought well beyond what the syllabus required so learnt a lot.

Yeah I checked it up with them. Seems like I can do them online. But they say I need to do the Microsoft technology associate (mta) cert first to decide which route to go down after that. How did you find gaining employment after these courses? Thanks for the response by the way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

Pashine wrote: »

http://www.isa-skillnet.com/cloud-careers-programme/

Fantastic Programme if you manage to get yourself on it... Im currently in my work placement now and it is fantastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Sn@kebite

STEINBERG wrote: »
    http://www.isa-skillnet.com/cloud-careers-programme/

Fantastic Programme if you manage to get yourself on it... Im currently in my work placement now and it is fantastic...

Can either of you guys please tell me what type of work is involved in an IT profession. What sort of job description are we talking about?

Cojomo2, could you please tell me the name of the FETAC/FAS course/Certs you did because I want to look at the modules which are taught. I would like to know the type of work you are doing and involved.

I was an accountant but need to find a different job and my Employment Officer wants to know soon which field I will be entering, it's either start at the bottom in a restaurant and do a Culinary course (which I'm sure I'd like because I've done some before) but it is not paid well and 12hr shifts and no job security really or go into IT which is more likely to yield a job (afaik) and I would be interested I just want to know good, reliable course to start.

What I would like is literally fixing people's PC/Laptops if they break down, freeze etc.. so this would be PC Maintenance of some sort, but I'm not sure what type of course you did, IT is a very large field tbh. Would any of the Certs you did be goof for maintenance or is A+ all coding?

So I can compare where to go. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement