Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replaced router now some websites won't load

Options
  • 29-07-2014 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of help.

So I replaced the Zyxel P-660HN-T1A Eircom router with a Netgear DGND3000-100UKS.

The Zyxel was always dropping the connection and having to be rebooted, and the Netgear was recommended to me and at a very good price on Amazon.

Since installing the router I've been having some problems with connecting to certain websites. Many websites work fine but others are very slow to load and others simply refuse to load. Some sites load after repeated hitting of the F5.

I'm guessing I've done something incorrect in the settings of the router or the setting of the pc's.

My gut is saying that I've some sort of conflict with DNS or Gateway because the NAS is setup to automatically choose the settings and has the DNS & Gateway as 192.168.1.254 but the pc's have the DNS & Gateways as 192.168.1.1.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Set the DNS settings manually into your netgear. Itll then pass them out to clients with DHCP and away you go.

Google:

or Eircom:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

You may just need to restart all devices connected to the new router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

ED E wrote: »
    Set the DNS settings manually into your netgear. Itll then pass them out to clients with DHCP and away you go.

Google:

or Eircom:

Sorry I should've said we're O2 Broadband.

degsie wrote: »
    You may just need to restart all devices connected to the new router.

I had to setup the PC's adapters manually because the IP addresses are set for a network scanner to scan to folders on the PC's.

There are 2 PC's 192.168.1.4 & 192.168.1.5 with DNS & Gateway set at 192.168.1.1.

My phone has problems with connecting to some websites too so that's why I'm thinking there could be a problem with the router settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Change the WAN interface MTU on the new router to 1492. That should solve it for you.

• Advertisement

gafarrell wrote: »
    Change the WAN interface MTU on the new router to 1492. That should solve it for you.

The MTU is already set at 1500, should I change it to 1492?

Also the PC's are connected by cable, would changing the WAN settings have an effect on LAN?

That wont effect the LAN side of things. Yes change it from 1500 to 1492 as this the standard speed setup for o2.

That wont effect the LAN side of things. Yes change it from 1500 to 1492 as this the standard speed setup for o2.

That seems to have sorted it, thanks a million.

Just out of curiosity, could you explain why that was causing a problem?

Its the wat that data packets are fragmented to and from the website. If its too high data will be lost.

Its the wat that data packets are fragmented to and from the website. If its too high data will be lost.

Thanks for the explanation.

I did a search and found this page;

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695

By doing the test my recommended MTU is 1464 so I've set it at that now.
    Would you say the test is accurate?

• Advertisement
Advertisement