Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Contract .. does 5 years give you rights?!

Options
  • 04-04-2014 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have been employed six months of the year for the past 4 years with a government dept , really loved it and went for interview this year(strong interview and over qualified for this position) and got nowhere.. people telling me its not me but if they started me again this year I would have worked for them for 5 consecutive years and would have Contract of Indefinite Duration (CID) for six months per annum?

Is this true or is that only in the dept of education etc

any info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,719 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you've been six months on, and then six months off as well, then I don't think the CID thing is true - unless there's some specific civil service thing that doesn't apply in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If there was a break of 3 months between the contracts then each contract is being treated as a separate employment. That 5 4 years has to be continous to apply (breaks in contracts no longer than 3 months each time).

Not sure if there is a specific law regarding a government dept jobs tbh

If you were overqualified for the job then they probably didn't want to pay you more and hired someone with lower qualifications and salary expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

As far as I can tell from my employment + labour law notes, CID does not apply... There is a four year rule in place but It only applies:
    • Where such an employee is employed on two or more continuous fixed term contracts

So as you were not on continuous contracts I don't think a CID applies. There are often separate rules for public service though, so I would double check!

Advertisement