Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

acrylic

• 10-01-2013 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I've been thinking about building an ideal desk at home and I was considering getting the table top made from acrylic. Is there any companies who would sell acrylic blocks cut to spec?

I can't find anything conclusive using google

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

gagomes wrote: »
    I've been thinking about building an ideal desk at home and I was considering getting the table top made from acrylic. Is there any companies who would sell acrylic blocks cut to spec?

Is it a sheet of acrylic you need? They normally come 2mm - 10mm thick sheets. Some are available in 19mm thick

I've bought some from these guys in Dublin.
    http://www.amariplastics.com/amariplastics/

its not cheap tho.Think I paid 260 + vat for a sheet of 3mm
    8foot x 4 foot i think it was.
    and they will cut it for you.

(If you want to PM me I can give you the sales guys email)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

urbanledge wrote: »
    I've bought some from these guys in Dublin.
    http://www.amariplastics.com/amariplastics/

its not cheap tho.Think I paid 260 + vat for a sheet of 3mm
    8foot x 4 foot i think it was.
    and they will cut it for you.

(If you want to PM me I can give you the sales guys email)

Amari are the right crowd and probably cheapest. Had you considered glass? Acrylic will be quicker to scratch if it's used regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

Thanks everyone for your help! :)
    Amari are the right crowd and probably cheapest. Had you considered glass? Acrylic will be quicker to scratch if it's used regularly

I didn't think too much, as I thought acrylic would be cheaper and less dangerous/heavier, but that's just a thought - any advice would be highly welcome :)

Ideally I want a solution that will be reliable to moderate pressure (50-100kg)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Lexan would also be good and quite scratch resistance, if you have a few extra go for lexan M10 it's even tougher :D you can get it here http://www.accessplastics.com/about-us/

• Advertisement

I got a quote from a company that works on glasses (if anyone interested the company name PM me)

10mm Toughened Back Painted Black
    1no 6 ½ feet x 4 feet
    €400.00 + VAT

Quite dear. I'm waiting on prices for acrylic and will check the Lexan :)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Try Gold Star Plastics in Dublin.

http://goldstarplastics.ie/

Plastic Sheeting.

best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I went to a pvc window supplier and bought a double glazed inset from areturned/wrongly measured sliding door. Think it's around 6'x2'. Brilliant work-top and cheap as chips if you haggle.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I went to a pvc window supplier and bought a double glazed inset from areturned/wrongly measured sliding door. Think it's around 6'x2'. Brilliant work-top and cheap as chips if you haggle.

Very good tip. Thanks :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 acrylicgift

Hi ,

These are differnet thickness of acrylic block ,such as 2mm,3mm,4mm,6mm,8mm,10mm and even 50mm acrylic block! What specification acrylic block do you need ?
    By the way ,what table top acrylic item do you need ? ay I can give you some suggestion as per your needs .

Cheers,
    Judeon

gagomes wrote: »

• Advertisement

Hi ,

These are differnet thickness of acrylic block ,such as 2mm,3mm,4mm,6mm,8mm,10mm and even 50mm acrylic block! What specification acrylic block do you need ?
    By the way ,what table top acrylic item do you need ? ay I can give you some suggestion as per your needs .

Cheers,
    Judeon

Thanks! as you will likely notice this thread is from january. Since then I have already built my own desk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 acrylicgift

Hi gagomes,

Oh ,sorry. didn't notice the posting time.
    Ok ,should you have any qustion for acrylic craftswork or fabrication ,i think i can help you with many of quesion . :-)

Kind regards,
    Judeon

Hi gagomes,

Oh ,sorry. didn't notice the posting time.
    Ok ,should you have any qustion for acrylic craftswork or fabrication ,i think i can help you with many of quesion . :-)

Kind regards,
    Judeon

Thanks Judeon,

Upon reading my previous post, I sound quite arrogant. No intended!

Thanks again.

Mods: feel free to lock, PLEASE!

Advertisement