Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endurance Racing News Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

What a race!, delighted the #2 won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Brilliant Race. Shattered after 26 hours, but it was totally worth it. Great that Jota Sport won LMP2. Turvey only knew he was driving on Thursday. Still gutted for Murphy Prototype.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Great race.

Can't believe that they changed a turbo and still won!

262,000 people attended the event. Its hopefully going to be 262,001 next year Must make it for the whole week!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How did Audi pull that out of the bag?

Great weekend of craic. Hoping I'll get the chance to get over again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Another year of wishing I'd been there...maybe next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Just back from Le Mans this afternoon, decided to take a couple of days around Northern France to recover before travelling home!

Have to say it was something I've never experienced before - from the sheer crowds at a Motorsport event, to the speed difference between LMP1 and everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Just back after relaxing in Normandy for a few days post-race.

It's my 5th year seeing Audi win, and even though they're not the team I root for, and even though Murphy Prototypes retired, and Senna lost out after some super racing, when the race, nay, the event is that good you can't be disappointed.

A truly amazing show, year in, year out that's getting bigger and bigger.
    DSC_0033_zpsgvko84hm.jpg

Many photos to follow....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Spent a week in Brittany and Normandy myself after the race weekend, very enjoyable.

Le Mans was great this year, weather was ideal and not too hot, apart from the downpours which took out the cars in Hour 2!

Seemed a little less busy than normal this year, but that could just be the expansion of facilities. The racing was intriguing, great battles up and down the field, I had the No.2 Audi pegged myself from the week before, just wish Id put a few quid on them! GT Pro was great fun as well

Pity about the Murphys car going out so early, P2 was a bit of a lottery in the end.

The only downsides would be the traffic control around the feeder roads and the campsites was way worse than previous years, the cops just werent to be seen. Also the lack of decent 3G data/Wifi was a big issue, I was trying to see what the other boardsies might be up to but didnt get a data connection for days on end.

Looking forward to next year hopefully, #eatsleepracerepeat !

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The only downsides would be the traffic control around the feeder roads and the campsites was way worse than previous years, the cops just werent to be seen. Also the lack of decent 3G data/Wifi was a big issue, I was trying to see what the other boardsies might be up to but didnt get a data connection for days on end.

Aye it was pretty terrible. Really hard to find the ticket office as well when we got in on the Thursday evening. My mate left on the Friday to get supplies and took 3 hours. Luckily we got lost the day before and he used that knowledge to skip the queue. :P When we went to the track later on he saw cars he'd seen in the queue, reckoned they took over 5 hours to get through it, very glad we missed that. :P Also the French stewards and security being typical French and pretending not to speak English didn't help. :P

• Advertisement

Good news for Murphy Prototypes, Greg himself gave a few of us a heads up on this deal when he was chatting to us during the week:)

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/murphy-accelerates-with-asian-le-mans-deal-1.1841617

I must say Greg Murphy's enthusiasm and ambition are very heartening. If its any consolation to him, his 'worst weekend' of his motorsport life was shared by the fans who attended Le Mans to support the team.

However I do think his ideal to get into LMP1 is slightly bonkers. P1 is stretching away as a big budget laboratory series of the most technically advanced manufacturers outfits. Id even question why someone like Rebellion Racing continue on with an independent programme when they have to spend upwards of €10 million just to be the also-rans. Ferrari's mooted comeback shows just where P1 is, I think Murphys would be better off buying a Ligier and getting back to the top table of LMP2 in the WEC, and maybe diversifying into GT Pro if they want the brand to enlarge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Killinator wrote: »
    Good news for Murphy *Prototypes* Greg himself gave a few of us a heads up on this deal when he was chatting to us during the week:)

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/murphy-accelerates-with-asian-le-mans-deal-1.1841617

Test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Anyone see the crash at the Nürburgring 24h, under double yellow flags "Code 60"

This video would suggest the viper is to blame but a video that was on youtube for a while showed the mini racing through the double yellow zone then braking aggressively just as the video above begins.

Here's a BTG artical about it
    http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php/racing-at-the-ring/627-n24-viper-vs-mini-post-game-analysis

There are rumours the viper driver has had his licence revoked or suspended.

To be fare to the viper driver he did well to not hit the safety vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Gutted for Matt Griffin, and everyone else involved obviously, but especially Matt, he's just a down to earth, nice guy who genuinely loves racing.

Anyone else wonder if there's a little bit of a bubble around Endurance racing? It's certainly on the up overall but there seems to be a lot of hype around it with very little to back it up financially.

Anyone else wonder if there's a little bit of a bubble around Endurance racing? It's certainly on the up overall but there seems to be a lot of hype around it with very little to back it up financially.

You may have a point there, although I think it might be down more to alot of teams entering the likes of TUSC and the WEC/ELMS without realising what a moneypit it can be if things down go right from the start, especially if they have to chase factory cars.

Not to worry, Matt Griffin continues in ELMS GTE with AF Corse this weekend in Austria. Very much still in the shop window.

Anyone watching spa 24hr ... unbelievable first few hours.

• Advertisement

More revision of BoP for LMP1-L in WEC in an effort to close the gap between factory hybrids and the privateers.
    http://www.fiawec.com/en/news/new-eot-rules-to-increase-competitiveness-of-lmp1−l-entries-at-cota_2196.html

Potential new LMP3 class should help the sport.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30625

Potential new LMP3 class should help the sport.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30625

It's strange given that in a straight line the LMP2s aren't much faster than GTE Pro, it's in the corners they make their speed.
    Does this mean an increase in power for LMP2, most of the drivers have called for it.

It's strange given that in a straight line the LMP2s aren't much faster than GTE Pro, it's in the corners they make their speed.
    Does this mean an increase in power for LMP2, most of the drivers have called for it.

It seems to be a "budget" gateway into Prototype racing. As you said, LMP2 isn't much faster than GTE Pro so they surely can't make LMP3 slower than a GTE class?!

Don't forget WEC is back with the 6hrs of COTA this weekend after its summer break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Don't forget WEC is back with the 6hrs of COTA this weekend after its summer break.

What channel is it on do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

22:30 tonight on motorstv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

bump for race starting

Advertisement