Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accruals Help!

• 15-07-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I have a quick query about accruals. I am going through the accounts since the start of the year. I have fixed all prepayments and am now moving on to accruals. I am clear on the process of the prepayments, but not completely sure of the accrual.

My first Invoice from the start of the year is a phone bill which half relates to Dec 2013, I will leave this as it relates to the previous financial year. I am looking in February to see what invoices have a January cost in them. For example I have a mobile bill dated 07/02/2014 which more than half relates to January 2014. Should I post an accrual in January for this amount and reverse the journal in February? The bill covers Jan/Feb but was paid in March. Does the fact it was paid in March mean I have to post an accrual in Feb also or is January the only journal I need to post?

Also I have an Electricity bill dated 30/04/2014 – should I go back to Feb and post the amount related to Feb in an accrual and do the same for March and reverse in April?

Going forward then from June onwards, do I try estimate what the cost may be as I can’t really continue to change month end accounts?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

In respect of what period are you currently preparing accounts? I presume you have already prepared accounts for the previous 5 months and if so, presumably, you do not wish to revise these??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cd1985

Hi Maidhci,

Thanks a mil for your reply. I have completed the month end accounts but want to go back and account for accruals. If I could just get my head around this I could go back and fix the past months and do it for all future months

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,244 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cd1985 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a quick query about accruals. I am going through the accounts since the start of the year. I have fixed all prepayments and am now moving on to accruals. I am clear on the process of the prepayments, but not completely sure of the accrual.

My first Invoice from the start of the year is a phone bill which half relates to Dec 2013, I will leave this as it relates to the previous financial year. I am looking in February to see what invoices have a January cost in them. For example I have a mobile bill dated 07/02/2014 which more than half relates to January 2014. Should I post an accrual in January for this amount and reverse the journal in February? The bill covers Jan/Feb but was paid in March. Does the fact it was paid in March mean I have to post an accrual in Feb also or is January the only journal I need to post?

Also I have an Electricity bill dated 30/04/2014 – should I go back to Feb and post the amount related to Feb in an accrual and do the same for March and reverse in April?

Going forward then from June onwards, do I try estimate what the cost may be as I can’t really continue to change month end accounts?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

accruals arent complex, you are making an estimate for a cost related to that month for which you havent yet received an invoice.

So for example, you have no june phone bill, but its normally around €50, you accrue 50 in june, your p&l is charged 50 and when the actual invoice comes in in July you reverse the accrual. Any difference between the accrual and the actual charge impacts the P&L in July.

Advertisement