Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming an accountant while having a child!

• 09-07-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

So I have recently completed an ordinary degree in accounting and finance and managed to get a first. Obviously delighted as I work full time and have a 4 year old child and am a single mother.

I would love to become an accountant but the hours are off putting. I like most don't mind putting in extra hours when needs be but not every week. Is accountancy something I could continue or is it not feasible if you have a young child to mind as well.

I am currently working in an accounts payable position but it's more data entry and very little accounting.

So basically my question is are their many 9-5 jobs in accounting or should I look at another career option for myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Of course there is.

It's all about managing expectations with prospective employers.
    Culturally, accountants (in practice) do tend to work all hours, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Personally, I have to admit I have been in the office at 6am on a Saturday, worked different batches of 16/17 days of 10 to 12 hours in a row... but one of our Senior Managers, he doesn't stay past 5.30 ever - and not because he's a cnut - no, he is just very, very effective in his use of time.

Your ability to deliver on the job is what is key. Not the time expended. There is no hand holding in accountancy, so your ability to take ownership and responsibility for your own development is critical. I worked for a partner before and he said if I couldn't get it onto one page he didn't want to know about it. In other words, that's what these guys want - results - and their lives made easier. You can well do that in normal hours if you are committed enough.

Alternatively, if you train in industry, the hours are likely to be much better and structured.

You can well do it. Congratulations on your achievements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Thanks, I just get nervous about having to do 12 hour days all the time, obviously at certain times it's needed but I'd be doing my Acca exams as well so need to have a bit of time for family stuff.

It's hard to know even if you got a job in industry what your hours would be as I doubt anybody tells the truth about hours at the interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Just go at 5.30, and that's it.

If you told me you were going, that you have kids, that would be fine. As long as you have been putting in an honest days work - what more can be asked. If I was to ask anymore, I'd have to ask you to tatoo the firm logo on your forehead.

The trick is having a bit of backbone.

When you employ a respectful attitude and backbone, these senior guys are grand with you. They know the way the world works.

It makes perfect sense, now to keep my eyes open for any trainee positions. Decide to start Acca this year instead of going back to do my honours degree so hope that's not marked against me.

Thanks for all your help it's been nice to hear that it's not crazy hours all the time.

I'd go for the honours degree if that is an option.
    Check what exemptions are available for the ordinary degree vs the honours degree.

Have you spoken to your employer about starting the exams?
    Depending on the size of the finance department you might be able to move internally and get the relevant experience that way.
    You could take your exams at your own pace. If they have supported you through the degree they would presumably be favourable to you continuing your education.

• Advertisement

I'd only get two exemptions if I do another year but would be committed to 3 nights a week. If I find the two exams I could attend only one night a week and it would still leave me in the same position in May.

I work in the same office as our financial controller, so he knows that I am studying and want to go on further, but we are same enough company only 200 employees. So while they are encouraging me to study they aren't paying fees. I'm only in this job a year but haven't been made permanent as there is talk of one side of our business being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Go for it and remind yourself that you're doing it for your child. I've a young baby and im a single mother too and just got a promotion which may mean working late sometimes but I figure once I get my foot in the.door and work my ass off, leaving at half 5 won't be a big deal. Major mammy guilts at the moment but you should definitely do what you want and not let having a child stop you from following your dreams. You should be so proud of yourself for pushing yourself..it's so easy when you have a child to let the world pass by and miss opportunities that you will later regret.

Fair play Madisson, congratulations on your promotion. I am very proud of myself for what I have achieved and I'm doing it for my child, so she can see that her mom is strong, intelligent and hard working. I'm just conscious that she will need help now with starting school and home work.

I have decide to go ahead with my plan and I have enrolled to do the Acca, hopefully my job will let me take on some more accounting work and not so much admin work. As my role is quite basic open post, enter invoices and match. I have been learning more interesting stuff lately like inter company accounts and the journal entries. So I think I am best to give it another year so that I have 2 years on my cv and then decide do I need to move jobs or stay put.

Exciting times ahead, now to root out my old notes ��

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Believe me I know how you feel, but if you're happy with your hours where you are and dont want to add to them with college on top of it, you could do them by distance learning? Especially the fundamental ones..would be no bother to you. I did mine through griffith college, they have video lectures and you can email the lecturer whenever you want and then before the exams they have a day or two of preparation lectures that were really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kmum

It's definitely possible, industry hrs are considerably less than practice. I'm down to my last Acca exam (fingers crossed I got the last two) I've three young kids, I went back when they were 4, 3 & 1. And have done two subjects per term.

At times the pressure is on in work, month/quarter end, it suits me to go in early and leave on time, I've also brought work home the odd time. I work for a very small company now, 15 employees but I managed to negotiate them paying my fees. No study leave but I work up time in lieu for that.

I've worked in finance depts of all sizes, my experience and current position is far beyond my exam status purely because when working in large financial services company they refused to let us leave to attend lectures and exam time clashed with budgets or I'd be sent out of the country etc. 12hr days were the norm there, so I changed tactics and went for the small company who was glad of my experience, and its possible to study and have some family life too.

Congrats on your degree, your daughter will be very proud of you when she's old enough to appreciate all that you've done.

• Advertisement

Thank you Everyone. It's very encouraging to hear that it is doable. I will have to keep a lookout for a small company looking for staff in North Kildare so.

Fingers crossed you pass your exams Kmum. I don't mind working somewhat below my exam status as I kinda already am. I just need a job which will allow me to be able to support myself and my daughter and also one that is a bit challenging and makes me use some of the knowledge I've learnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

I work in industry. I'm a guy. I unapologetically leave the office at 5.30pm every day. I'm contracted for a 37.5 hour week with 20 days annual leave.. It's a long enough day and a long enough week without doing extra hours! The culture in the place sort of permits this, in that some people leave at 5.30 on the dot, others work til 9 or 10 at night.

Now, this isn't to say I'm lazy. I discovered one of the reasons one person in particular worked late is because a VBA excel macro stopped working, which she relied on to generate postings. As a result for several month-ends she was producing postings manually.

Hopefully you will find an employer who will favour your contribution over the amount of hours you sit at your desk.

tenifan wrote: »
    I work in industry. I'm a guy. I unapologetically leave the office at 5.30pm every day. I'm contracted for a 37.5 hour week with 20 days annual leave.. It's a long enough day and a long enough week without doing extra hours! The culture in the place sort of permits this, in that some people leave at 5.30 on the dot, others work til 9 or 10 at night.

Now, this isn't to say I'm lazy. I discovered one of the reasons one person in particular worked late is because a VBA excel macro stopped working, which she relied on to generate postings. As a result for several month-ends she was producing postings manually.

Hopefully you will find an employer who will favour your contribution over the amount of hours you sit at your desk.

Thanks everyone again for sharing your stories. It's very encouraging to hear you can have a life as well as being an accountant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

bulmersgal wrote: »
    So I have recently completed an ordinary degree in accounting and finance and managed to get a first. Obviously delighted as I work full time and have a 4 year old child and am a single mother.

I would love to become an accountant but the hours are off putting. I like most don't mind putting in extra hours when needs be but not every week. Is accountancy something I could continue or is it not feasible if you have a young child to mind as well.

I am currently working in an accounts payable position but it's more data entry and very little accounting.

So basically my question is are their many 9-5 jobs in accounting or should I look at another career option for myself.

Definitely! I work with accounts who have babies from 6 months to 12 years and older and they work nine to five. You can work and study part time. If you can get a minder, look into the independent college or nci, they do part time courses. It's definitely doable and it's great that you feel passionate about it!

loubian wrote: »
    Definitely! I work with accounts who have babies from 6 months to 12 years and older and they work nine to five. You can work and study part time. If you can get a minder, look into the independent college or nci, they do part time courses. It's definitely doable and it's great that you feel passionate about it!
    I'm lucky I still live at home (sad as it is at 28 but can't afford rent and crèche) so I'm lucky they support my studies and minded her the past school year while I got my degree. I don't really want to go back to 3 nights a week to get the honours degree as I'll only get two exemptions.

Or do you think from a employment point of view I would be better off. I have already done the accounts technician course and got advanced entry into 3rd year of a accounting and finance degree where I got a first. My plan was to start Acca and do one/two subjects each sitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

bulmersgal wrote: »
    My plan was to start Acca and do one/two subjects each sitting

That's what my brother is doing. He went to the independent college and sat three subjects. He didn't get on well so he's just going to do one at a time to really concentrate on them! He was on for 3 nights a week but maybe that's because he was doing 3 subjects. Have a look into the accas. There's a girl in work who's 23, has a 4 & 5 year old, a single mam and she's doing her accas while working full time (9-5) so it's definitely doable!

loubian wrote: »
    That's what my brother is doing. He went to the independent college and sat three subjects. He didn't get on well so he's just going to do one at a time to really concentrate on them! He was on for 3 nights a week but maybe that's because he was doing 3 subjects. Have a look into the accas. There's a girl in work who's 23, has a 4 & 5 year old, a single mam and she's doing her accas while working full time (9-5) so it's definitely doable!

Thanks loubian that's very encouraging. Yeah I feel better doing only one or two and really mastering each subject. I felted doing 6 subjects over 3 nights was tough and felt like we didn't really understand everything in detail. Which is strange as I done so well but wouldn't be as confident about some of my accounting skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It is definitely possible to become an accountant and be a parent at the same time.

I had my son while I was still at college. I went on then to secure a training contract under ACA and passed my exams first time round. I was very lucky in that I lived at home and my parents were excellent in helping me out. I trained in a small practice, so I finished up around 5 or 5.30 most days. Only coming right up to the tax deadline would I have to do much overtime. I remember one of the first years there I didn't see my son awake for a couple of days because I would be gone to work before he woke (40 min commute) and be home at 9 pm and he gone to bed, that was harder than the actual work! Where I trained was generous with the study leave which was great, it meant that I had a lot more time with him over the summers, I missed that when I qualified. The larger accountancy practices sseem to be more competitive amongst staff and over-time seems to be standard.

Well done on your achivements so far. You seem to know where you want to go, it will all be worth it in the end. You have someone else to think of asides from yourself and that will give you the determination to succeed.

Thank Sunny Dayz it's very encouraging to hear so many people can do it. I was the same last year doing my degree in the evenings I would put her to bed on Sunday and wouldn't see her awake till Weds evening. It was tough doing the 3 nights a week and working full time.

I think I need to look for a small firm who would take me on. I'm not sure would they employ me with just an ordinary degree or should I finish it or start doing Aca or Acca? If anybody has any advice on this, it would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I would go with what you are doing and start Acca rather than hons degree.

I also trained in small practice (long before i had kids) i very rarely did overtime. Now I work for myself from home and have loads of flexibility for spending time with kids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement