Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best aggregate to use for driveway ?

• 03-05-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Since i can't afford tarmac for driveway (cheapest quote was 6,200) and the little fella is starting to cycle. So im looking to install an aggregate or cheap alternative to tarmac that will very smooth when rolled so that he can cycle and play ball.

I currently have cut stone binded with 804. All suggestions appreciated:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Anyone got any ides ??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Stone/quarry dust well compacted can be quite smooth and not too harsh for the inevitable fall and tumbles. However it is prone to hollows or tracks in high wear places or where there's running water.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Boscod

Aother alternative would be road scrub. This consists of tramac and other materials that are removed by machine when a road is being resurfaced. When rolled it forms a great surface, however it will become a little loose with time, but doesn't wash away with heavy rain. I've used it in a turnout area for horses, and was ideal for the job. One issue might be finding material of a suitable grade, free from large lumps.

Is chip and dust a good idea ? What size chip compacts really well ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

I've just laid a path out of blinding for the boys to ride their bikes on.it packs down really well.i paid 270 euro for a 20ton load delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

bugsntinas wrote: »
    I've just laid a path out of blinding for the boys to ride their bikes on.it packs down really well.i paid 270 euro for a 20ton load delivered.

Could you explain what blinding is for us less well educated?

it's as mentioned above.it consists of small stone chippings 6mm upto 12mm I think and lots of dust.i didn't believe it would be of much use but if packed down well it is good stuff.i found it best to lay when wet rather than dry as it is very dusty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

it's as mentioned above.it consists of small stone chippings 6mm upto 12mm I think and lots of dust.i didn't believe it would be of much use but if packed down well it is good stuff.i found it best to lay when wet rather than dry as it is very dusty stuff.

How did you pack it down?

I used the weight of my fat body!!but a vibrating plate or a roller will do the job.
    I laid some a couple of years ago across our gateway as we flood and with the weight
    of the car and various trucks over time it packed really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

I used the weight of my fat body!!but a vibrating plate or a roller will do the job.
    I laid some a couple of years ago across our gateway as we flood and with the weight
    of the car and various trucks over time it packed really well.

Right, I now have a mental image of you rolling around in the dust !

Brother has a roller so will come in handy if we ever decide to do this.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Right, I now have a mental image of you rolling around in the dust !

sorry about that I think you might need therapy now!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Whacker plate or a mini roller hired out from a hire ship is allways a good thing when it comes to issues like this..

Hire it out on a Friday and you get to keep it all weekend,but you only pay for the 1 day/Friday.:)

Good idea about hiring on friday's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Can I piggy back on this ??

I am going to finish the driveway with gravel and in advance of that I have 10 tons of quarry dust arriving next week that I am going to pack down with a roller.

I was told today that its filthy, won't compact and will come up through the gravel.

Any opinions on using the dust for this purpose and any alternatives ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

see attached picture. im planning to put up timber gates and want to tidy up the entrance and driveway. anybody any budget suggestion about what surface to put on. tarmac not a runner because of cost and bad lifespan as I've seen at neighbours areas because of green from trees.

Advertisement