Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Bank House Ennis, where is it?

Options
  • 03-05-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My girlfriend is looking for her roots from town. As I'm from here she has asked me about Rose Bank House but I have no idea. I have asked a few people who have done studies on Ennis and they can't find it either, though it is mentioned on Clare Library website and the census (house name only not the exact location).

The family are the Milwards and the last member died in 1912 by the name of Rosalie Victoria Millward. The husband was George Milward who ran the Bank of Ireland.

Just wondering if anyone has any clue where it is?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Never heard of a Rose Bank House in Ennis but know of a property named Rosebank in Rathfarnham in Dublin. There is a gatelodge and cottage on the grounds of what was Rosebank house and they were up for sale in the past number of years. The original property had a big house which is now demolished. It's not far from Marlay Park and there are still walls and gates leftover from the grand house. William Milward Jones (his mother was a Milward from Waterford) who lived there was a landowner with a big spread in Mayo and more in Dublin but don't know if he had land in Clare.

A few links that might be of interest

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=1735

http://www.irelandxo.com/node/13143

http://www.evoke.ie/style/a-suburban-detatched-manor-smack-in-the-middle-of-dublins-rathfarnham-with-a-walled-estate-two-lodges-and-a-river-running-through-it/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

EwpYcs.jpg

Any connection?

1KwzNk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

She should call into the Local Studies Centre beside the public library in Ennis with whatever information she has. They will be more than willing to help her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Balagan wrote: »
    Never heard of a Rose Bank House in Ennis but know of a property named Rosebank in Rathfarnham in Dublin. There is a gatelodge and cottage on the grounds of what was Rosebank house and they were up for sale in the past number of years. The original property had a big house which is now demolished. It's not far from Marlay Park and there are still walls and gates leftover from the grand house. William Milward Jones (his mother was a Milward from Waterford) who lived there was a landowner with a big spread in Mayo and more in Dublin but don't know if he had land in Clare.

A few links that might be of interest

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=1735

http://www.irelandxo.com/node/13143

http://www.evoke.ie/style/a-suburban-detatched-manor-smack-in-the-middle-of-dublins-rathfarnham-with-a-walled-estate-two-lodges-and-a-river-running-through-it/

Hi Balagan,

Will send her on the links you provided. We came across the one in Rathfarnham too but there was definitely one in Ennis. Have found the name only on the Clare library website.

Thanks for the help.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    EwpYcs.jpg

Any connection?

1KwzNk.jpg

Hi Colm,

That table you posted was what confirmed the house in Ennis. As for the other piece, they don't think he is at the moment. They have since found what looks to be a family of Milward based out of Kilkee but they can't track them to Ennis. The names are the same though.

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement

wuzziwig wrote: »
    She should call into the Local Studies Centre beside the public library in Ennis with whatever information she has. They will be more than willing to help her out.

Thanks wuzziwig. Will let them know

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dlarkin

ulinbac wrote: »
    Hi,

My girlfriend is looking for her roots from town.  As I'm from here she has asked me about Rose Bank House but I have no idea. I have asked a few people who have done studies on Ennis and they can't find it either, though it is mentioned on Clare Library website and the census (house name only not the exact location).

The family are the Milwards and the last member died in 1912 by the name of Rosalie Victoria Millward. The husband was George Milward who ran the Bank of Ireland.

Just wondering if anyone has any clue where it is?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi, just picked up this thread, as I have been recently been researching my Ennis connections. My Grandmother (on my father's side) Yvonne Rosalie Milward was born at Rosebank, and by pure coincidence my own mother was from Corofin, not far away, so I know Ennis quite well. However, I have never had any luck trying to find the actual house. A cousin of mine pointed me in the direction of the Maid of Erin roundabout, where there is a house opposite on the Sandfield Park road, it is a blue regency building which i think is now derelict. Unfortunately I can't verify if this is exactly Rosebank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ollaetta

dlarkin wrote: »
    A cousin of mine pointed me in the direction of the Maid of Erin roundabout, where there is a house opposite on the Sandfield Park road, it is a blue regency building which i think is now derelict. Unfortunately I can't verify if this is exactly Rosebank.

Not too far from there on old maps is Rose Cottage. Any connection I wonder?
    I snipped the attached from the OSI.ie 25inch Historical overlay map.

Off topic but I see on that map that Sandfield Park and part of College Road were once known as Steele's Walk.

Advertisement