Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

INIS Fest 2015 - It's happening!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

I will await the other side of the story in the Clare Champion on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Seems that an objection to the liquor licence was the cause of the organisers pulling the rug.

'Courtroom battle' ...... are they serious?

Where else would an objection to a liquor licence be held?

What is so strange about such an objection?

What is strange is that the organisers pulled out because of something they must have envisioned happening.

Jhcx wrote: »
    Court room activity would certainly drive the event into a loss. not just the license but the fight for it.

Then withdraw the application, no court room battle and proceed with the event without the liquor license. It doesn't require an event license due to its size thus the residents have no course to prevent it through the courts. This tells me enough about the profitability of the event on ticket sales alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Clareman wrote: »
    there's locals who think they can do whatever they want,
    Well there are locals who think they have the right to protest in the interests of protecting their person and property...and they'd be right.

I didn't spot this mentioned but while I'm disappointed it's not going ahead was the fair green really the best place for this? There are people on Facebook putting up links to the Killarney Music and Food Festival getting the green light but that's being held in the Demense national park just on the verge of the town not too unlike the proximity of Our Ladies to Ennis, would that have been a better location anyway? Surely 3500, at least, people on three soccer pitches in a residential area is a bit much?

Most importantly were residents asked before hand? From what I can see the organisers only reached for the barn door after the horse bolted. If that's the case then it seems we're a little bit slow on the uptake after the whole Garth Brookes debacle and as a nation we seem like we wouldn't know how to organise a prayer in a mosque.

Personally I support the residents because nobody likes to be treated as an after thought or have their agreement taken for granted and with the sort of childish and sadly violent behaviour being directed towards the residents I think the real embarrassment is people claiming defense of their local economy when the truth is they're just bummed that they're not going to a gig.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't understand why people are mentioning other areas for the event, Tom Smythe Park was redeveloped recently and has been nominated as the public area for events such as Inis Fest, other mentioned areas such as Cusack Park, Showgrounds and Our Lady's are all private grounds and have their own issues.

In regards to the objections, reading the articles, I don't think the residents were objecting to the actual festival but were threatening to object to the alcohol license that they were going to apply for. I can't understand why the organisers have factored in the selling of alcohol as a major blocking point for the event, surely if the event was to be successful then ticket sales would pay for it, axillary sales (such as merchandise or alcohol) would simply bolster profits. If their model was business model was so dependent on alcohol sales then surely they should have gotten the license prior to selling the tickets, if it was clear they weren't going to get the license then they could have adjusted the ticket sales accordingly.

The more and more I'm reading and hearing about this the more I'm forming the opinion that 1 person managed to get the event cancelled with a threat, this to me shows a lack of proper risk management in the organisation of the event, surely local objections should have been seen as a major risk and factored into the events planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

http://www.clarepeople.com/2015/04/14/finish-fest/
    Clare Champion MD and former President of Ennis Chamber of Commerce John Galvin asked; “So what am I going to do if someone starts tearing into my car? The normal amount of guards will not do,” he said.
    His wife Shelly Galvin asked what would happen when gardaí go on their break.

Well, I for one will never buy Clare Champion again nor visit their website.

Seriously? What will happen when Gardai go to the jacks? That was why they decided to have the whole event shut down? Muppets.

But more importantly, I live in the area as well, on the same road. I had no problems with the event and every single weekend as well as many week nights especially in the summer I have to deal with large groups of drunken youth and loud music coming from the Queens. Every weekend large groups of them wander up the road, urinating on things, roaring at the top of their lungs, drinking in public. For years I have said nothing but yet for some reason these resident, who live next to me, seem to have a problem with the idea of a festival but have stayed silent for so long in regards to the trouble that continually happens in the same area due to the Queens Nightclub. I'll be going door to door and speaking with them after I am able to gather enough evidence.

I am just after getting a new digital video camera and will be spending this summer recording said events along with the noise I can hear coming out of the place late at night - and you would be surprised how loud it is when you leave your window open when it is warm. If we are going to become a town that takes people to court to block alcohol licenses and groups of roaming drunks from urinating in alleyways, we need to start at the source and there is no bigger offender when it comes to this sort of thing than the Queens.

CptSternn wrote: »
    http://www.clarepeople.com/2015/04/14/finish-fest/

Well, I for one will never buy Clare Champion again nor visit their website.

Seriously? What will happen when Gardai go to the jacks? That was why they decided to have the whole event shut down? Muppets.

But more importantly, I live in the area as well, on the same road. I had no problems with the event and every single weekend as well as many week nights especially in the summer I have to deal with large groups of drunken youth and loud music coming from the Queens. Every weekend large groups of them wander up the road, urinating on things, roaring at the top of their lungs, drinking in public. For years I have said nothing but yet for some reason these resident, who live next to me, seem to have a problem with the idea of a festival but have stayed silent for so long in regards to the trouble that continually happens in the same area due to the Queens Nightclub. I'll be going door to door and speaking with them after I am able to gather enough evidence.

I am just after getting a new digital video camera and will be spending this summer recording said event along with the noise I can hear coming out of the place late at night - and you would be surprised how loud it is when you leave your window open when it is warm. If we are going to become a town that takes people to court to block alcohol licenses and groups of roaming drunks from urinating in alleyways, we need to start at the source and there is no bigger offender when it comes to this sort of thing than the Queens.

So you complain about others not objecting to roaming drunken youths ...... yet you are the very same as those you complain about ?

For years I have said nothing

I fail to understand your reasoning.

So you complain about others not objecting to roaming drunken youths ...... yet you are the very same as those you complain about ?

I fail to understand your reasoning.

The people who seem to be so worried about that sort of thing have been turning a blind eye to it for years. Why is it they only now have decided to take action, and limit such action to what would have only been two nights as opposed to making similar complains about the ongoing behaviour we are already witnessing which is identical to what they claim they are worried about?

This picture pretty much sums up how certain individuals in our town operate, especially in this case...

article-1300967207614-0b51086100000578-330784_636x336.jpg

https://declanbrandon.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/a-feeling-of-deja-vu/

A very good post in Declan's Blog in relation to the event and Ennis events in general from a recent history perspective.

Also note, for everyone who said 'why not just use the showgrounds', well aside from the fact all the involved organisation based their plans on another location and you can't just change that without an equal amount of work, in the past large events were planned there and just like in the Fair Green you find the same small group of people suing the event organisers.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. It's well worth a read sure.

• Advertisement

https://declanbrandon.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/a-feeling-of-deja-vu/

A very good post in Declan's Blog in relation to the event and Ennis events in general from a recent history perspective.

Also note, for everyone who said 'why not just use the showgrounds', well aside from the fact all the involved organisation based their plans on another location and you can't just change that without an equal amount of work, in the past large events were planned there and just like in the Fair Green you find the same small group of people suing the event organisers.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. It's well worth a read sure.

Very interesting blog, especially .....
    But sadly the storm clouds were gathering.To this day I have never encountered so much obstruction to a what was essentially a carnival as occurred in every rural village in Ireland all through the 60s and 70s.We were called to meeting after meeting with bodies I never knew existed and more and more demands were made of the organisers .Extra Gardai up to the rank of Inspector,a drugs incident room,increased security.And there were no residents objecting.

So I am not sure what comparison you are drawing to the present ........ except that maybe you think that the residents' objections are just an excuse for the organisers and not the real cause of the cancellation.

Very interesting blog, especially .....

So I am not sure what comparison you are drawing to the present ........ except that maybe you think that the residents' objections are just an excuse for the organisers and not the real cause of the cancellation.

The similarity in both cases was both events were shut down due to a handful of people with an agenda.

This time the organisers spent months and a good bit of their own money engaging with all the appropriate groups - An Garda Síochána, Clare County Council, the Vintners Federation of Ireland, HSE, St Joseph’s Hospital, Clare County Fire and Rescue, Clare Civil Defence, the private security firm that planned and worked Slane, and at least a dozen other groups in regards to logistics, security, and charity fundraising.

Yet even after jumping through all those hoops, covering their bases, doing it properly, not acting the maggot and going all cowboy they still were shut down by the same people threatening legal action.

It's why there won't be any events in Ennis like this in the near future.

At this point I bet even the organisers of the Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann are getting worried.

Per the quotes from those who 'opposed' it...

http://www.thejournal.ie/inisfest-cancelled-2044853-Apr2015/
    "We want to be sure that all the people that have no accommodation, that have nowhere to go, that are sleeping in their cars, puking over our walls and peeing in our gardens are going to be monitored."

Yeah, that was 10,000 people for 2 nights, three days.

What are they going to do when the Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann comes to town in March, bringing with it an estimated 300,000 people?

http://clareherald.com/2015/03/07/ennis-secures-fleadh-cheoil-na-heireann-for-2016-3453/

Should the organisers of the Fleadh get a battalion of solicitors ready now and start having local meetings with the organisers or will we see merely weeks before the Fleadh kicks off that a handful of residents oppose it?

If I were the organisers of the Fleadh, I would make sure I have a boatload of solicitors ready to fight back already on retainer. Especially with this small but well connected, litigious lot.

Also, just putting this out there, if you look at who attended the meetings and protested the event you will find some people attended that were not residents who leveled complaints. Don't believe me? Check the photos.

So aside from the huge amount of planning and signing off on things that has to be done PER LOCATION when planning such an event by all the groups I listed in my previous post, the issue then becomes if you have people who do not live there protesting for whatever reason, what makes anyone think these same people would not be protesting an alternate venue? Why would they be there to begin with?

Per Declan's post, this has happened before, it's just last time these same groups had their own solicitors go over the planning details with a fine tooth comb and used the various government bodies to challenge such an event. This time they could not do that do the extensive planning and groups that were engaged beforehand, so they got together a group of 'angry locals' and again threatened legal action.

It's all the one. Same people, same agenda, different tactics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The weird thing is that the event wasn't objected to, there was a threat of the drinks license being objected to, but the event itself was ok, it was decided by the organisers that it couldn't go ahead without the license so they cancelled it.

The similarity in both cases was both events were shut down due to a handful of people with an agenda.

Well I certainly did not get that from the blog you linked to.
    It clearly stated there were no objections from residents.

Rather it was saying, to me, that the cancellation at that time was caused by 'red-tape'.
    Clareman wrote:
    The weird thing is that the event wasn't objected to, there was a threat of the drinks license being objected to, but the event itself was ok, it was decided by the organisers that it couldn't go ahead without the license so they cancelled it.

Even more than that ...... they cancelled because of a threat of an objection to the liquor licence.

Why would they do that?
    Because the event was not at all viable without alcohol sales revenue?
    They did not foresee an objection to the licence and panicked?
    There was a realisation that the event was not going to be profitable even with the licence?

I see no reason for a 'threat of an objection' to be the main cause of the cancellation.
    It might of course have been the 'last straw' ..... a minor contribution to the whole reason for pulling the plug.

Clareman wrote:
    Even more than that ...... they cancelled because of a threat of an objection to the liquor licence.

Now both of ye seem to be getting it.

The only way to cover the costs of the acts was with bar sales. The ticket sales would not cover the acts. The whole thing hinged on bar sales.

Someone threatened legal action. It wasn't all the people living around Fair Green, it wasn't even all the protesters. A specific legal threat was made by an specific person or person(s) which is all I can really say here, and it was followed up with other things said.

Without the alcohol sales the event was not going to be able to go on. The legal costs to even attempt to fight it would be a minimum of few thousand euro, and if they really wanted it stopped they would have easily been able to file motions which would have tied it up and forced special sittings to get the license which could have easily doubled the legal bill.

The costs for the solicitors would have been more than the event organisers were even making themselves, they would have possibly been able to get the license but they then would be running the show at an out of pocket loss.

Certain people knew this, used this to their advantage, and got away with it.

The real question ye should be asking is who had the money and resources to outspend the organiser on frivolous legal fees who they themselves would not miss and to them would be worth the legal costs incurred for stopping this event.

I'm not saying who or whom, nor am I even implying the identity of anyone here, as we all know if you haven't figured it out after the legal threats to the organisers - they are a very litigious bunch with ample resources and solicitors on retainer, but feel free to ask around town on your own. That is not against any law.

• Advertisement

The only way to cover the costs of the acts was with bar sales. The ticket sales would not cover the acts. The whole thing hinged on bar sales.

Sorry, but in my world that's very bad organisation, having 1 point of failure for any project means you have to ensure that point is organised first, if you can't organise it then you have to have contingencies in place. Also, having a variable income source as a major impact runs a large risk.

The costs for the solicitors would have been more than the event organisers were even making themselves, they would have possibly been able to get the license but they then would be running the show at an out of pocket loss.

Surely they would have factored in the costs for applying for the license into their operational budget, I would guess this application would have gone to the local court, if this was successful and someone wanted to object it would have gone up a court level, as this was a license application you would just need to have your own costs covered, anyone wanting to appeal would pay for the appeal costs. I would imagine that an event like this would need to have legal representation on retainer anyway so the costs mightn't have been too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Can't find it online but has anybody read the Clare People, they seem to have am article in the print issue claiming this is back on according to Twitter?
    Won't have a chance to pick up a copy til this evening....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just saw on Clare People Fb page that it's to go ahead :)

Where does anybody know... The location doesn't seem to be online on FB/Twitter, they really want people to buy the paper to find exact details.

• Advertisement

The rumour I've heard is The West County, great that the part of town that objected to a new Tesco is getting an event another part of town didn't want :D

From what I heard of the article it may go ahead at a later date this year or next year in June but not at Tim Symth Park.

Here's an article on it from The Clare Herald

http://clareherald.com/2015/04/28/inis-fest-to-make-shock-return/

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

What about the showgrounds as a venue? I was at the Garden festival there last weekend and it's a fine place for any event. Anyone know why it's not used more? There is loads of room there. There is a sizeable indoor area already there and plenty of room for a marquee if the indoor area wasn't suitable. I remember going to Meat Loaf there many years ago and it was a great venue (sh1t concert but great venue!!). They could run shuttle buses from the Market area but it's not really that much of a walk anyway. I suppose you will have residents objecting there too but I think it the perfect spot for this festival.

Today's Clare Champion have the Showgrounds as definite.. Very perceptive of you! Can't quote here now but will later if I can find it online when not on the phone.

Really? I never buy local papers as we get them at work and I end up reading them a week later!! The show grounds is perfect. Any word on what dates it will be on?

wuzziwig wrote:
    Really? I never buy local papers as we get them at work and I end up reading them a week later!! The show grounds is perfect. Any word on what dates it will be on?

Still not able to copy paste the article, exact same dates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

There's a fair few posh and entitled folks living up near the Showgrounds. Wouldn't count the chickens just yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm posh and entitled and live up the road. I'm prepared to be talked down from my original position of Mundy not being allowed to play to Mundy being allowed to play a set excluding July, Galway Girl and me getting free tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I play soccer on the astroturf at the rugby club. This might slightly inconvenience me. How do I lodge an objection?

• Advertisement

You don't have to lodge an objection, you just have to threaten to lodge an objection and state that you'll bring your objection as far as you can.

Personally, I think it's going to be chaos getting too and from the Showgrounds for an event of this size but I'm delighted it's going ahead, hopefully there won't be any issues so we can have an even bigger event next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

Ah wont they again need to go to court to get an alcohol license? and thus provide residents with an opportunity to object?
    i.e. the same issue that stopped it from going ahead the fairgreen could happen in the showgrounds too?

Ah wont they again need to go to court to get an alcohol license? and thus provide residents with an opportunity to object?
    i.e. the same issue that stopped it from going ahead the fairgreen could happen in the showgrounds too?

There's a bar in the Rugby Club so I'd imagine this will stratify a lot of the alcohol issues.

Clareman wrote: »
    There's a bar in the Rugby Club so I'd imagine this will stratify a lot of the alcohol issues.

But then the organisers would not get the benefit of the alcohol sales which they seemed to believe were necessary for the event to be staged at the previous venue.

There is something odd about all this.

But then the organisers would not get the benefit of the alcohol sales which they seemed to believe were necessary for the event to be staged at the previous venue.

There is something odd about all this.

There doesn't seem to be a problem when the county show is on and other such events, I'd imagine it would be part of the rental agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Clare Champion, he's some champion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭golfball37

I had planned to play a round at Ennis golf club the next morning, how can I object to this event ?

The problem getting the license for the Fair Green was an old bye law that says you can't trade there and that's how the objectors scuppered it. The council could have overturned the law but it would take time and then they had to give time after that for anyone to object to bye law being scrapped. Then it would go to court. Total madness.

Clareman, why do you think it will be a nightmare to get people to & from the showgrounds? It's not that far out of town & is walking distance. It's hardly Slane or the Electric Picnic. Now they are a nightmare!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

Article in the clare people about an application for an alcohol license for the showgrounds for inis fest.
    It was adjourned but the article didn't mention any objections in court so it may be going ahead...

• Advertisement

Announcement later today according to the Inis Fest twitter page

Fair play to the organisers, I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I questioned them after the initial "hiccup" but they have it rescheduled for the Show Grounds now, well done to all involved. Hopefully now it can be a great event with no hassle and it can turn into an annual event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The tickets certainly aren't expensive. I'd be happy enough paying €30 to see Damien Dempsey.

It's great to see it going ahead after all the hard work the organisers had done. Tickets are very reasonable and it's great that the kids can go on the Sunday and it's free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Anyone else heading to this?

Just wondering where would be a good place to head to afterwards that plays guitar based music and not totally pop/charty rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought Inis Fest was cancelled? Great to see it going ahead if it's back on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

You're best bet would be Brandons though I've not been in there for a few years.

Brandons closed at the end of May, it would have done well this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Cruises or Ciarans. They're 2 spots I'd go to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Looking forward to this. Just got in a panic as went to print off my tickets but couldn't find ANY trace of them whatsoever. So I booked 2 new ones on a link from the Inis Fest site. Then clicked 'orders' and discovered my 2 other tickets! Now I've 4 tickets & only 2 people! :-(

Looking forward to this. Just got in a panic as went to print off my tickets but couldn't find ANY trace of them whatsoever. So I booked 2 new ones on a link from the Inis Fest site. Then clicked 'orders' and discovered my 2 other tickets! Now I've 4 tickets & only 2 people! :-(

Toutless.com is a great spot for getting rid of unwanted tickets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement