Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HR Disciplinary meeting

Options
  • 13-09-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I need some help and advice as I'm worried sick

I work for a company the last number of years and have been called into a HR disciplinary meeting.

without going into too much detail here is what i can say

I work with customers but not face to face,like a helpdesk/support role.Last Thursday i was called into a meeting by my manager to say one of the customers i was dealing with was a friend of someone very high in the company and wasn't happy with the way i had handled their query. It turned out it was a technical query that i could not assist with and advised them of this, the had come back basically telling me to forward their problem to that area, however due to certain factors i am unable too do this and advised them to contact them directly as it is faster and required of them to resolve the issue

Any this came all the way down from the top and my manager pulled 3 other items of work and said they were of questionable customer service,maybe an error but everything else i could defend as procedure or what we have done for this matters as we have not been fully trained on every aspect of this work...funny as my last four quality checks had me exceeding the standard target for quality. My manager advised that she had been over ruled by her boss on this and the matter was going to HR.

Now i received the invitation to the meeting and attached were my four items of work and the company disciplinary policy and the actual invite which makes mention twice that the result of this meeting can be dismissal.

On invite it states the the reason for the meeting is my quality,i read through the policy in detail and it states issues of "poor" performance are generally dealt with informally before being handled formally i.e PIP and such. Also states that dismissal on a first instance(this is my first) can only be because of gross misconduct and then lists of what is considered gross misconduct and this matter is not listed at all.

I went to my union and they think it is unbelievable and have advised that i take one of them into the meeting with me and not to go alone

So basically im asking what do you guys think of this?

I have never heard of someone being brought to a disciplinary meeting due to bad quality on a first instance and with no previous notice of any poor quality,not previously having poor quality and no chance to improve said quality before reaching this stage.

What i believe this is over is because the higher ups friend who i was dealing with sent this onto them and they want to make an example of me.

I really scared that i might lose my job that i have had for years and want to know would it be consider unfair dismissal if i was seeing as i have been exceeding in work, was not aware of this and was not given a chance of to improve?

Any thoughts would be helpful

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Get in touch with an Employment Solicitor and/or HR Professional and discuss the situation with them. It would also be best advised to bring someone from your union with you. As far as I'm aware, you need to provide a minimum of 24 hours notice of intent to bring someone with you, but that could be different from your Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Bring someone with you. As far as I know they should have let you know you can bring someone with you as witness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Itzy wrote: »
    Get in touch with an Employment Solicitor and/or HR Professional and discuss the situation with them. It would also be best advised to bring someone from your union with you. As far as I'm aware, you need to provide a minimum of 24 hours notice of intent to bring someone with you, but that could be different from your Company.

Make sure you tell them at the meeting that you will be requesting the minutes of the meeting...
    Most of all note everything in a note pad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure to bring the union person with you. See can you get any written evidence of your previous 'above average' assessments.

Get absolutely everything in writing.

Do not rule out pursuing them for harassment and victimisation if it turns out that it is what you suspect - the boss's mate wanting an example made of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Case of constructive dismissal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I would bring a union rep first. If it goes to a second disciplinary meeting, I would request the union rep and you arrange a consultation with an employment solicitor to discuss your case. Then I would bring the employment solicitor to the second meeting.

As far as note taking goes, you can't use a recording device, which could be used to skew things. Have your rep take notes as they would be impartial and yes, request minutes. Ensure that management has an impartial person at the meeting also and be sure that you are aware of their identify before your meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Autonomous wrote: »

Has OP been constructively dismissed?. As it's a call centre and all calls seem to be recorded, I would have thought the first thing you should ask for is that the recording be replayed during your meeting, it should be obvious to everyone in the room if there is an issue with the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for you input

Its not a call center but not far off,we use other means in our contact with customers(cant go into details in case anyone reads and identifies me)

I have the previous record of my quality and i will be bringing it to the meeting

I have been discussing this matter with previous employee of the company who have been higher in management than i have and they believe the outcome will be - No outcome

It may be that they no they have no case and are just making seem as if they are doing something about it.

Still doesn't feel nice, i know even if it is no outcome i will still feel uncomfortable in the working environment and with my boss and there is no where in my department/skill of work for me to transfer to other than demotion and i don't want that.

Feels very discrimination as one poster has said

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Autonomous wrote: »

Constructive dismissal means that an employee has no choice but to resign because of serious issues at work, and has attempted to pursue every avenue available to resolve it.

It's not easy to prove, and the burden of proof is on the employee not the employer. It's a bit of a drastic last resort, and I'd be very slow to suggest it - particularly as it doesn't even sound like that's what happening here at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

It sounds to me like someone has it in for you.
    They're not following due process for disciplinary proceedings and they're ignoring the stats they're meant to be judging your performance on in favour of digging for dirt.
    Make sure you have the union rep in the meeting with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mvrce

This company are threading on very weak ground here.

just because someone complained does not mean you are at fault, you are entilled to respond to these allegations
    and the the full details of the allegations against you must be given to you, the company should not just rely upon third hand information they must fairly investigate this. If is a diciplinary hearing make sure you bring a representative eg colleague or union rep. YOU ARE ENTITLED TO KNOW IN ADVANCE THE ISSUES AND POTENTIAL Sanctions wHICH MUST BE PROPORTINATE

If other issues are introduced that have not been previously addressed you should argue the unfairness.

Remember you can pursue a grievance if you feel you are being unfairly treated which is vital if you do take a case of constructive dismissal

You are well protected in this country in terms of employment leglislation best of luck

Advertisement