Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resigning mid contract

Options
  • 15-09-2014 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there. I'm hoping to get some advice about handing in my notice. I'm currently covering someone's maternity leave having had my original contract with the company extended. I wasn't looking for a new job - was quite happy where I am - but was contacted by a recruiter about a good permanent role in my line of work in the county I'm from originally. I never thought I'd get a job back there as roles in my line of work come up there extremely rarely.

I went for the interview because it's such a rare opportunity and have been offered the job. There are also some health issues with my parents so it'd be handy to be nearer to them. I need to hand in my notice tomorrow -12 weeks which I'm happy to work out in full - but am feeling wretched and haven't been able to sleep in about 2 weeks (since interview etc) thinking about it. I really feel like I'm letting my current company down. Any advice on how to best handle this would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just do it.

Think about how they would behave if they wanted to let you go for any reason.

If they're a**holes about it, given that you've found a permanent job, then they're not the sort you want to work for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

OP - your current employers will be delighted for you that you have found such a good quality role so near your own parents. They understand that people move on to new jobs/careers etc.

You have done everything the right way - hand in your notice and work out your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Go for it and don't lose anymore sleep worrying. Ask for a shorter notice period if you need it too, nice to have a break between jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here - thanks so much for the advice! It's good to get impartial viewpoints and honest opinions.

Guess I just have to bite the bullet and do it now!

Advertisement