Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I complain or leave it?

Options
  • 14-09-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I went to a job interview recently for an entry level job in my career area. It was for a job that involved something that I haven't done and would require learning a new skill. Having said that it probably would not require a lot of training. I have been working in my field for about 3 years but I'm currently working part time and I'm desperate to find full time work.

When I walked into the interview it was clear that the two interviewers had not read my C.V. until five minutes prior to the interview. They asked me to confirm that I was there to interview for that position and they told me that the job I was going for was not in line with my experience i.e. I was overqualified. How would someone with my experience feel about working in a job where I would not progress etc., ... other things led me to believe that they hadn't seen my C.V. before the interview. They seemed shocked that I had traveled so far for the interview and kept on bringing it up. One of the interviewers started sympathising with me about how difficult it is to find a job nowadays!

Clearly their H.R. team who resources for multiple professional fields within the business selected my C.V. and invited me for interview. The people who would have been my bosses did not select me for interview. There was clearly a communication break down between the two departments.

I feel like they wasted my time and money. I don't want to apply to this company again. Do I have grounds for complaint so that I can try and recoup my travel expenses? Or should I just leave it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not really sure who you would complain to really, the company themselves? I doubt they have any obligation to pay your expenses. Would just write it off tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

From the employers point of view, an interview is a meeting where they get to meet the person who sent in a 2-3 page cv which portrays the best of the applicant. They get to asses how capable (albeit in a superficial way) the applicant is, how suitable they are, how they are likely to fit in and in some ways , their personality. They form an opinion. They are not required to memorise your cv and sometimes it is surprising how over qualified applicants can be for a relatively menial position. They really don't care how far you travelled, you applied for the job with them and you could just as easily be living across the road. Employing an over qualified person can be a risk as they may be more likely to move on when something suited to their training comes up.

You should put this down to experience and try not to be phased by the questions asked at interview no matter how irrelevant you think they are, your annoyance may have been apparent to them. Also as stated above, who would you complain to and what would the complaint be?

Advertisement