Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Probation Period on Permanent Contract

Options
  • 16-12-2014 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been working with a company for close to 11 months now on fixed term contracts, and they recently just gave me a permanent contract. On that contract, it says that there's a probation period of 6 months on it.

To me, I've worked there for 11 months already, and the fact they want to make me permanent proves they're satisfied with my work. Should I have to do another probation period, or should that have been it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

titan18 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been working with a company for close to 11 months now on fixed term contracts, and they recently just gave me a permanent contract. On that contract, it says that there's a probation period of 6 months on it.

To me, I've worked there for 11 months already, and the fact they want to make me permanent proves they're satisfied with my work. Should I have to do another probation period, or should that have been it?

Standard practice for all permanent roles. The fact you've been given a perm role is proof they're keeping you about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

brinty wrote: »
    Standard practice for all permanent roles. The fact you've been given a perm role is proof they're keeping you about

Once you complete your probation period, you get extra perks (health insurance, pension etc). Is it not kind of unfair that I effectively have to work a 17 month probation?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

titan18 wrote: »
    Once you complete your probation period, you get extra perks (health insurance, pension etc). Is it not kind of unfair that I effectively have to work a 17 month probation?

Unfair, I would say yes. Legal I would also say yes.

If you don't like it, bring it up with HR/ Recruitment dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have you asked them about it? You probably got a standard contract, given you have worked there for 11 months and they have offered you a permanent position they may amend the contract accordingly. I'd suggest approaching your direct manager and broach it with them.

gandalf wrote: »
    Have you asked them about it? You probably got a standard contract, given you have worked there for 11 months and they have offered you a permanent position they may amend the contract accordingly. I'd suggest approaching your direct manager and broach it with them.

Yup, going to do that. Got the contract today. Was just wondering if this was standard before I started complaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In some companies when you go from temp to permanent one of the things to be negotiated is the start date: there's an option to backdate it to your temp worker start date, but it may not be offered unless you ask about it. Always worth asking, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

Titan, you can request to negotiate your contract on this point stating what you have stated here which is a very valid reason. If the job is similar and enjoys similar conditions, then it's quite reasonable for your new contract to undertake your probationary period carried out in your fixed contract as time already served.

Contrary to what has been stated here, a probationary period is not necessarily a legal obligation. More often than not, it is a point of policy within the organisation.

Regarding "perks" re insurance et al, this commences straight away and not after the probationary period is over. That part is a legal obligation on the part of the employer. This should not be confused with the extension of legal rights regarding dismissal, though. At this stage, you don't really have any unless the circumstances are extenuating. You can thank our previous Prime Minister for that.

Thing is, a period of probation is a recruitment process that determines suitability and compatibility to both the job and the workplace culture. If you're going into a different job then it's well within their rights for your new employer to request a probationary period.

However, the standard practice for someone in the same organisation moving from a fixed contract to a permanent position within the same role is three months, not six.

And that point can be broached as a viable part of your employment negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grace09

GladWrap wrote: »
    However, the standard practice for someone in the same organisation moving from a fixed contract to a permanent position within the same role is three months, not six.

This is great information GladWrap, thank you. I'm in a similar situation and wondering if this is written anywhere official that I could cite when talking to my employer?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

grace09 wrote: »
    This is great information GladWrap, thank you. I'm in a similar situation and wondering if this is written anywhere official that I could cite when talking to my employer?

No. It's practice, not law

grace09 wrote: »

If it helps, they agreed with me when I mentioned it to them, that I didn't need to work a further 6 month probation on moving contract. My probation was considered up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭lbyrne121

hi I was wondering if anyone can help me with a query I have.

Is there any chance of getting your probation period reduced?  It currently states in my contract 12 months.. I am getting on very well in the company, I am reaching 6 months there and going to ask can I be made permanent?

The reason why is because I want to go for a mortgage and cant wait another 6 months..

Any chance that this can be changed even though it says it in your contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

lbyrne121 wrote: »
    hi I was wondering if anyone can help me with a query I have.

Is there any chance of getting your probation period reduced?  It currently states in my contract 12 months.. I am getting on very well in the company, I am reaching 6 months there and going to ask can I be made permanent?

The reason why is because I want to go for a mortgage and cant wait another 6 months..

Any chance that this can be changed even though it says it in your contract?

No harming in asking. Especially if you explain your plans to get a mortgage.

Advertisement