Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky still charging me after cancelling more than a year ago

Options
  • 20-07-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I cancelled more than a year ago, i recently checked my bank statement and saw that they were still charging me for the lowest plan available, i contacted my bank to stop payments to them, but how do i get a refund for all the money sent to them after i had cancelled? I had a phone call recording of me cancelling it but i think i may have deleted it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tell them that you had cancelled a year ago and ask for a recording of that call, they should have this call recorded but it might take a freedom of information request to obtain it, this would confirm your cancellation and the date. Did you keep the letter from them stating the date your service would cease? if you have that letter go along to your bank with it and instruct them to refund all the "unauthorised" debits from sky from the date of the letter.

It is also very hard to believe that anyone especially in this time of belt tightening austerity would not notice almost €30 a month missing from their bank, do you not own a pc/smartphone and check your online account balance regularly?

(Is that you Bertie?):D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭boardbro

Haha ill make sure to check my bank statements more, any chance they'd give me extra, for the inconvenience they've caused?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

boardbro wrote: »
    Haha ill make sure to check my bank statements more, any chance they'd give me extra, for the inconvenience they've caused?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's best to deal directly with Sky to get your money refunded. You'll have to get confirmation of the cancellation first.

As a last resort, any direct debits that were taken as SEPA payments can be reversed up to 8 weeks after the transaction. This way you can reclaim some of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

dudara wrote: »
    It's best to deal directly with Sky to get your money refunded. You'll have to get confirmation of the cancellation first.

As a last resort, any direct debits that were taken as SEPA payments can be reversed up to 8 weeks after the transaction. This way you can reclaim some of the money.

This is partially correct, under SEPA you can get payments reversed no questions asked upto 8 weeks after the transaction, however, you can also go back 13 months if you can demonstrate a valid reason for a refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How have you been inconvenienced?!?

:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a hope in hell. In fact, prepare for an argument about you ever cancelling. Even if you win that, not a hope in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You might have the sent email in your outbox.

I submitted a successful official compliant to SKY and it was upheld.

I sent it through the 'contact' section on the site and it was at least 3 weeks later when I got a call from a lovely lady who refunded the amount that was taken by mistake and gave me sky for 12 months at €7 a month.

The had recordings of calls I made and had spoken to the person who replied to my email with the wrong information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

L1011 wrote: »
    Not a hope in hell. In fact, prepare for an argument about you ever cancelling. Even if you win that, not a hope in hell.

I lost this argument, strangely enough that phonecall was never recorded.

no

why

@endacl read title

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You might have the sent email in your outbox.

I submitted a successful official compliant to SKY and it was upheld.

I sent it through the 'contact' section on the site and it was at least 3 weeks later when I got a call from a lovely lady who refunded the amount that was taken by mistake and gave me sky for 12 months at €7 a month.

The had recordings of calls I made and had spoken to the person who replied to my email with the wrong information.

Gotcha, though i dont see an option for emailing them https://contactus.sky.com/uk/make-a-complaint/about-sky-tv-products-or-services

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

why

@endacl read title
    You'd be entitled to be left in the same position as you would have been had no deductions been made. So while you might get an allowance for the interest you could have earned on the deducted sums (based on standard deposit rates) there's no hope in hell in them giving you extra for you to profit from. It's bad business acumen and you're not entitled to it.

You went merrily along for over a year before you noticed the withdrawals. Hardly an inconvenience in anyone's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Gotcha, though i dont see an option for emailing them https://contactus.sky.com/uk/make-a-complaint/about-sky-tv-products-or-services

Sorry, I was unclear.

I emailed my cancellation originally.

There was a mistake so I made my formal complaint through the contact me part.

I finally found the evidence of the date I dent the email cancellation in the sent part of me email.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Tell them that you had cancelled a year ago and ask for a recording of that call, they should have this call recorded but it might take a freedom of information request to obtain it, this would confirm your cancellation and the date. Did you keep the letter from them stating the date your service would cease? if you have that letter go along to your bank with it and instruct them to refund all the "unauthorised" debits from sky from the date of the letter.

It is also very hard to believe that anyone especially in this time of belt tightening austerity would not notice almost €30 a month missing from their bank, do you not own a pc/smartphone and check your online account balance regularly?

(Is that you Bertie?):D

FOI does not apply to non-state enterprises.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

FOI does not apply to non-state enterprises.

Data protection does, which is what I suspect was meant.

What i meant was the money that could have earned from interest from the bank, should have checked the bank but thats in the past now,

It wasn't me personally, but im speaking on the behalf of another person (which is why i said "I") who isn't good with computers and technology, which may help explain why they didnt notice sky were taking 29e a month from there bank for a long time!

Anyway sky emailed back to say that my friend contacted them to reinstate the service 4 days before the 31 day notice period had ended and that ive no chance of getting a refund! my friend doesnt recall this, so ill try and get evidence from sky for him asking to reinstate the service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What i meant was the money that could have earned from interest from the bank, should have checked the bank but thats in the past now,

It wasn't me personally, but im speaking on the behalf of another person (which is why i said "I") who isn't good with computers and technology, which may help explain why they didnt notice sky were taking 29e a month from there bank for a long time!

Anyway sky emailed back to say that my friend contacted them to reinstate the service 4 days before the 31 day notice period had ended and that ive no chance of getting a refund! my friend doesnt recall this, so ill try and get evidence from sky for him asking to reinstate the service
    Ask them for a recording of that conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

If that was the case then your friend must have noticed how he stillnhad sky available to him and it had not been cancelled at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Inconvenience? Sure you didn't notice yourself till 1 year later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

If a password holder rang sky and requested the cancelation not be processed then I doubt you have any chance of getting the money back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sounds a bit of a chancer

Inconvenience? Sure you didn't notice yourself till 1 year later

sure they shouldve cancelled it when they were told to do so, naturally enough,
    @ A Dub in Glasgo piss off if y'eve nothing to contribute (unless y'eve nothing better to be doing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

boardbro wrote:
    sure they shouldve cancelled it when they were told to do so, naturally enough, @ A Dub in Glasgo piss off if y'eve nothing to contribute (unless y'eve nothing better to be doing)

But someone called them since and told them not to cancel ??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@boardbro - if you can't post civilly towards other posters, then don't post. That is not an acceptable level of posting.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I cancelled a sky account and was signed up a new subscriber, as part of an offer they gave me to stay with them, so I got some discount.

Noticed about 4 months into my new term that I was still being charged for the old account. Was a weird one that took a phonecall to the bank to spot, as the way the statement was it wasn't clear if I was being charged. So turned out I was.

Rang Sky who were grand to deal with, to be honest I just asked it get assigned as credit to my new account and save any actual refunds, which they were happy to do.

Advertisement