Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

only caught bits of the game today as I was at a family dinner so I could only throw a sneaky eye on it though - an enjoyable performance from what I saw. Looked like we were playing some nice intricate free flowing football rather than just placid in the middle and hoping the wingers can get a good cross in.

Great that the United games of late have actually been fun to watch from an attacking perspective. We'd been missing that for too long.

One thing that irritates me - we played our only 3 fit senior midfielders and STILL Fergie couldn't/wouldn't find a place for Pogba on the bench this afternoon. Whatever about the money issues with the contract, what message does it send to him that he can't even get near the first team when the only option other than him was playing our best forward in midfield? So annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

It has been a good day! Second half of the season is going to be epic imo. Never write off Utd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Gibson only misplaced 3 passes. 96% accuracy

Gibson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Xavi:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gibson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Xavi:p

Visiting that kid's hospital the other day must have had some effect.:D

The King Kenny out posts have begun in the Liverpool thread.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Gibson is obviously average enough but he gets far too much abuse on here IMO. My main problem with him is that he has not looked for a decent loan move in the past few seasons. Obviously the Wolves move soured him to that. But he needs games. If he got them earlier in his career, he might have had a better future at United.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

We have amassed an average of 2.67 points per game on average in the PL. If we keep going at this rate, we'd finish on 101 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Blatter wrote: »
    We have amassed an average of 2.67 points per game on average in the PL. If we keep going at this rate, we'd finish on 101 points.

Don't jinx it man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Ya theres no doubt it will be a serious points total that wins the league this season.

Think I remember Mancini saying he thinks 90 points will win it.

Of course Fergie said 83/84 points in pre-season but I have a feeling he would revise that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Brilliant result today!

Liverpool fans can eat their heart out!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Gibson is obviously average enough but he gets far too much abuse on here IMO. My main problem with him is that he has not looked for a decent loan move in the past few seasons. Obviously the Wolves move soured him to that. But he needs games. If he got them earlier in his career, he might have had a better future at United.

I think most of the abuse is warranted tbh. Gibson was never and will never be a United quality player. He seems happy to sit on his arse and play a couple of League and Carling Cup matches. If he had any desire or ambition he would have jumped at a move last summer and possibly worked his way to starting spot at EURO 2012.

His attitude stinks and stats like his 96% passing accuracy today are all well and good, but he still had no influence on the game today. Playing CM against a truly awful Wigan side he should be more involved.

Anyway, rant over. Great results all round today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Evans out for 2 weeks. Sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What does trying to get a starting place for Euro 2012 have to do with United?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

KevIRL wrote: »
    Evans out for 2 weeks. Sigh

FOR GOD SAKE! ARARRAGHHGHGH.

Bloody injuries :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Great day overall, Evans injury a blow obviously, the injuries are actually disgraceful this year, but we still scored 5 to help the GD and City dropped points in a game they would have been expected to win!

Happy days, the beer will now taste sweeter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

City must be att least a little nervous that theyve been sensational the first eighteen games yet theres no daylight between them and us.

Good day all round.Chelsea dropping points too and Liverpool confirming themselves as more irrelevant than ever. MOTD will be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

kmart6 wrote: »
    What does trying to get a starting place for Euro 2012 have to do with United?!

Nothing, obviously. But it has everything to do with Gibson and his attitude and ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm about to do my Roy Hodgson walkabout out of respect for another job well done. I urge everyone to join me.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

45/18 = 2.5. At this rate we'd finish on (2.5*38 = ) 95 points.

POSSY wrote: »
    45/18 = 2.5. At this rate we'd finish on (2.5*38 = ) 95 points.

Yeah you're right, sorry. Still an amazing points total compared to last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    His attitude stinks and stats like his 96% passing accuracy today are all well and good, but he still had no influence on the game today. Playing CM against a truly awful Wigan side he should be more involved.

I didn't say any different or claim he had a great game. I'm just saying he is used as an easy scapegoat all the time on here and often has decent games dismissed as terrible. He is not as bad as is made out. I did say in that post that he is average enough and as it stands will not be a United midfielder. But I do think that he had the potential to be one earlier in his career. Had he had a decent loan move to a Premiership team at 19 or 20, then things might have been different. I still think he would make a good player for many Premiership teams.

It's a bit like Carrick, Park or Berbatov. There are plenty of silly opinions after games out there about them as well.

Anyway this is all a bit irrelevant. Just venting annoyances at over-the-top reactions on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Yeah you're right, sorry. Still an amazing points total compared to last year.

Truly amazing! Anyone know our highest points tally? And to think Spurs are only 4 points behind if they win their 2 games in hand is crazy!

with Evans out for the next two weeks, and it going to be very important to get Jones and Smalling back - Fergie said they could both be back for the Blackburn game, would like to see the pair of them at CB with Carrick in front of them as the shielding midfielder. Both were out today through illness rather than injury so fingers crossed the pair will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

with Evans out for the next two weeks, and it going to be very important to get Jones and Smalling back - Fergie said they could both be back for the Blackburn game, would like to see the pair of them at CB with Carrick in front of them as the shielding midfielder. Both were out today through illness rather than injury so fingers crossed the pair will be back.

What has Evans picked up? Fergie said Rio wanted to play today so maybe he will be back for Blackburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I absolutely love Wigan. We throttle them every year - it's 26-0 to us on aggregate over our last 6 meetings, and 42-4 since they've been in the PL, and they always seem to be a banana skin for a title rival at some stage every season. Quality club.

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    What has Evans picked up? Fergie said Rio wanted to play today so maybe he will be back for Blackburn.

calf strain from what I have read.

Just saw that about Rio - if himself, Jones and Smalling are back and would play Smalling and Rio in defence with Jones and Carrick as the CM pairing ahead of them. Nani and Valencia on the wings, Rooney and Welbeck up top - finish the season in style - though I would like to see Berbatov retain his place, I don't think himself and Rooney are a good partnership.

Dimitar Berbatov now has just 1 less league goal than Luis Suarez in 10/11, despite playing just 255 minutes to the Uruguayan's 1,454.

Dimitar Berbatov scored the same amount of goals today in 90 minutes than Fernando Torres has in the league during his entire Chelsea career and just one goal less than Andy Carroll has managed during his time at Liverpool.

£31m? Bargain :p

I didn't say any different or claim he had a great game. I'm just saying he is used as an easy scapegoat all the time on here and often has decent games dismissed as terrible. He is not as bad as is made out. I did say in that post that he is average enough and as it stands will not be a United midfielder. But I do think that he had the potential to be one earlier in his career. Had he had a decent loan move to a Premiership team at 19 or 20, then things might have been different. I still think he would make a good player for many Premiership teams.

It's a bit like Carrick, Park or Berbatov. There are plenty of silly opinions after games out there about them as well.

Anyway this is all a bit irrelevant. Just venting annoyances at over-the-top reactions on here.

I think Gibbo is grand for what he is, seventh or eighth choice midfielder who gets a game when theres no other choice. Did a perfectly good job today and never complains.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think Gibbo is grand for what he is, seventh or eighth choice midfielder who gets a game when theres no other choice. Did a perfectly good job today and never complains.

i'd prefer Pogba or Morrison to be taking that '8th choice' midfielder.

calf strain from what I have read.

Just saw that about Rio - if himself, Jones and Smalling are back and would play Smalling and Rio in defence with Jones and Carrick as the CM pairing ahead of them. Nani and Valencia on the wings, Rooney and Welbeck up top - finish the season in style - though I would like to see Berbatov retain his place, I don't think himself and Rooney are a good partnership.

I wouldn't necessarily be over rushing players back in. I think we could beat Blackburn with a similar team that played today. Away to Newcastle would be nice having Smalling, Rio, Jones back.

IMO this % of passing made by Gibson today is rubbish. He didn't create much and side passed most of his passes.

Valencia has come back to form big time last few weeks

• Advertisement

I wouldn't necessarily be over rushing players back in. I think we could beat Blackburn with a similar team that played today. Away to Newcastle would be nice having Smalling, Rio, Jones back.

IMO this % of passing made by Gibson today is rubbish. He didn't create much and side passed most of his passes.

Valencia has come back to form big time last few weeks

would agree about the passing stats - players could finish with 100% ever game if they wanted to by playing safe and simple. I would always look to see what passes they are/are not completing in practical terms - if it is adventurous attacking passes in/towards the final third that are being misplaced I don't really mind - I like players to take attacking risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I absolutely love Wigan. We throttle them every year - it's 26-0 to us on aggregate over our last 6 meetings, and 42-4 since they've been in the PL, and they always seem to be a banana skin for a title rival at some stage every season. Quality club.

Throw in the fact that they sold us arguably their best ever player in Anto V and you have to say, operation Dave Whelan has been a huge success.

Agent Whelan has managed to infiltrate a Premier League club and become chairman, get one our favourite sons in Brucie a job, roll over and have their belly rubbed every time we come to town and yet play like warriors against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool but crap against everyone else so as not to raise suspicion, sell us the only player they ever had that is good enough for us and say lovely things about us in the press.

Job well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

What a great day. Time to power on in the new year.

see Mourinho being quoted today as saying his next job will be back in ENgland, and one he hopes to stay in for a long time.

I think he is nailed on for United, if the timing suits him/us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

see Mourinho being quoted today as saying his next job will be back in ENgland, and one he hopes to stay in for a long time.

Time to close down our academy :(

O Neil seems to have steadied the ship at Sunderland. His factor will cause problems next week for City.

One thing that stands out recently for me. Mancini has said he thinks City has played most of the hard away games now and have advantage. This was said last week.

Fergie on the other hand is never giving anything away and always reckons its fair game this year for a few teams.

Lets not forget. City are meant to be running away with the title playing the best football and we are a team in decline.Mmmm the table shows a different stat

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Time to close down our academy :(

I remember reading stats before that showed Mourinho has an excellent record in comparison to others in giving young players chances in the first team.

If the players are good enough, his record indicates he will include them.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/mourinho-made-man-utd-claims-ignoring-youth-talent-a-myth-1532821

He's a natural winner but he has no morals or values. He would do anything to win which even means outside the rules. I wouldn't like him at United.

i'd prefer Pogba or Morrison to be taking that '8th choice' midfielder.

No way. Give me a straight choice beteen the three to start a PL game in CM and its Gibbo any day of the week. Pogba in particular i miles away. positionally he still has so much to learn. Hes a year or two at least away yet IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

This is key, and it's why I'm not so sure the move will happen. When you consider the average tenure of a Real Madrid head coach (in the last decade at least) it's hard to picture Mourinho staying in the job for the length of time it will take Fergie to retire.

He's a natural winner but he has no morals or values. He would do anything to win which even means outside the rules. I wouldn't like him at United.

You could almost write the same sentence about Ferguson tbh.:D

• Advertisement

I remember reading stats before that showed Mourinho has an excellent record in comparison to others in giving young players chances in the first team.

If the players are good enough, his record indicates he will include them.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/mourinho-made-man-utd-claims-ignoring-youth-talent-a-myth-1532821

Thats a good read. Wasn't aware of it. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Wouldn't mind Mourinho tbh. Last year I would have said no way, slowly warming to the thought of him coming in.

You could almost write the same sentence about Ferguson tbh.:D

No way. I haven't seen Fergie poking someone in the eye. To be precise your rival's assistant ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I would like to reiterate my desire to see Valencia made into a permanent right full back, as a rightwinger he crosses the ball very well but is limited in trickery and skill but he is very sound defensively, you could argue hes better defensively than rafael

The only man for the job IMO.

Terrified City will get him though.

he wouldn't be my first choice - but I would still say he is one of the few managers around that could take over from Fergie at OT and I wouldn't worry about their ability to handle the pressure of taking over from Fergie. He would relish the prospect.

Also, he is an old school manager in terms of wanting complete control of the team and the club (in football terms) which I think is important.

Basically, I think he is the most Fergie like manager around and would offer the most seemless transition for the club and the squad. I think we will need someone with a strong personality, and there is no doubt he has that.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    No way. I haven't seen Fergie poking someone in the eye. To be precise your rival's assistant ;)

Obviously Fergie doesn't go that far, but he does pretty much everything he can to ensure his side wins. His manipulation of the media is one of the biggest things that gets overlooked, but you won't hear me complaining about it:D

IMO Mourinho is the man to take over at OT whenever SAF decides to call it a day.

I would like to reiterate my desire to see Valencia made into a permanent right full back, as a rightwinger he crosses the ball very well but is limited in trickery and skill but he is very sound defensively, you could argue hes better defensively than rafael

Nah, he's an out and out winger imo. He's OK at RB against poorer sides, would worry about him there positionally against decent teams.

Obviously Fergie doesn't go that far, but he does pretty much everything he can to ensure his side wins. His manipulation of the media is one of the biggest things that gets overlooked, but you won't hear me complaining about it:D

IMO Mourinho is the man to take over at OT whenever SAF decides to call it a day.

I would wonder how David Moyes would get on at a big club. It would be a massive gamble but I would just wonder how he would get on at a big club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I would wonder how David Moyes would get on at a big club. It would be a massive gamble but I would just wonder how he would get on at a big club

No Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement