Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap import in Japanese (funny that!)

Options
  • 31-07-2014 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Right, so my dad bought himself a VW Golf Jap import. Nice car, in fairness, but the in car radio/DVD/nav's interface is all in Japanese (I assume). The manual (also seems to be in Japanese) calls the multimedia unit a "Clarion Road explorer SDD 6.0 DVD/SDD AV Navi". Anybody any idea how, or if this unit can be Irish-ised? I've no idea what any of the buttons do (except the power button), so it's very difficult to explore it to figure it out.
    I've emailed Clarion, but havent heard anything back yet.
    I've also googled it, but most of the hits are in Japanese.

Whatever radio station it's tuned to is in english, which is a relief!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

jagerboy wrote: »
    [...]
    I've also googled it, but most of the hits are in Japanese.

[...]

Did you try to translate them (like google translate thing)?

It won't be perfect, but may help a bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/28543/Clarion-Navigation-In-Car-Entertainment.html

First hit on Google; I presume you have seen it?

Edit: says it supports English, French and Spanish so Im guessing its probably not the one you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jagerboy

@djimi Thanks, but no that's a different one. I'll try use some of the instructions though to see if it they're similar. The one in the car is built in - like a radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Your going to have to put up with the Japanese or change the headunit, I've never had any luck with a JDM headunit to upload firmware/find english on a menu on them which is a pity because some do have great specs, You'll likely need a band expander too to get the full range of stations on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

OSI wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why you would buy a Japanese Golf as an import?

better spec'd than most available here? probably lower mileage, with better history. good few reasons to buy jap.

theres a 2004 japanese polo around the corner from my house and it appears to be streets ahead of any irish polo i've seen, even those in comfortline spec etc.

theres a jdm focus and a few jdm c-class around here too.

• Advertisement

@OSI - AFAIK all those reasons that Toyotafanboi said, plus the price was much more favourable than Irish prices.

@5500 - That's the answer that I was afraid of, and didn't want to hear. Anyone any idea how much it would be to replace the system with something similar?

for something basic enough in a double din with bluetooth non touch screen around 150, anything with touchscreen or dvd your looking at double that

always lots of nice OEM VW double dins in the classifieds for around €300

Great, thanks everyone. It's his birthday coming up, so I might get him a replacement. He def doesn't need a DVD player! lol
    Where's the best place to purchase and get fitted around Dublin?

There's a bit of a selection of double dins in halfords if there's one near you, I don't know what they charge for fitting but it should be plug and play seen as it already has an aftermarket unit in it so you might give it a go yourself and save a few more euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

AFAIK the JDM units have a different frequency step (or something...) so you might need a European head unit.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    AFAIK the JDM units have a different frequency step (or something...) so you might need a European head unit.

the last one i had went from something like 84 - 90fm so it didn't find much. after fitting a frequency expander it could find irish stations, but the readout still only read between 84 and 90 so you never knew what they were until the ad's were on.

shame, but sometimes the easiest solution is just to replace it.

OK, I think replacing is a must now. To be honest, I have no idea what you're all talking about (double dins etc.) so I'll probably have someone do it for me. I'll try Halfords as suggested. Anywhere else? Is that place in Drumcondra any good?

Unregistered Users

jagerboy wrote: »
    [...] I have no idea what you're all talking about (double dins etc.) [...]

316898.jpg

http://alpha-nav.blogspot.ie/2013/05/whats-din-difference.html

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Double DIN refers to the size. A standard car radio is single DIN; double DIN are the ones that are twice that size (essentially the size of two standard radios sitting on top of one another).

Its not a massively difficult job to change a radio, but if youre not sure it would be worth talking to someone. I have had good experiences dealing with MDS in Ballyfermot a few years back; might be worth giving someone like that shout.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Unregistered Users

No problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭ei9go

I had a JDM Celica Convertible which came from Japan with a double din.

I replaced it with a Pionneer standard single din and got a compartment, you know for coins and bits from my Toyota dealer that filled the hole perfectly.

Cheapest and simplest way is to go to a standard radio.

Thanks ei9go, thats another way to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Banditxii

Hi Lads I just bought the woman a nissan serena with a dvd sat nav stereo combo jobbie i dont mind just buying a double din unit or what ever i need but I think the kms left in realation to petrol etc come up on the unit thats in it and the reverse camera will a good unint still be able to show these things or would they be built into the head unit or are they just auxilaries plugged into the back of it from the cars computer?
    any help welcomed men and women

• Advertisement

Any pictures of what your centre consol/current headunit looks like?

5500 wrote: »
    Any pictures of what your centre consol/current headunit looks like?

I have a pic but can't post pics not reached 50 posts

Can you pm me an email or anything I can send it to 5500?

Upload it to tinypic if you can't post the link send me it in a pm

I cant post images urls or links because im a new user sorry man
    Its a HS706D-A sanyo derived unit if that helps

Unregistered Users

Yes, you can.

Instead of [noparse]http://www.example.com/images/something.jpg[/noparse] just type example.com/images/something.jpg

We'll do the rest. ;)

http:// i57.tinypic.com/ 2hi6q7b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Looks like a standard double din unless Nissan went a step further and had it customised to the vehicle eg petrol left in the tank. As for the reverse cam any double din with a screen will have an input for them, the problem lies with if the head unit was a custom job for Nissan meaning the camera may have a different connection that won't fit in an "aftermarket" headunit.

Either ways its no problem to switch to a double or single din headunit, if you want to keep the reverse cam you'll need a double with a screen so keep that in mind,

• Advertisement

Thanks man I'll hit Halfords tomorrow and see what they have. Thanks everybody for the help

Advertisement