Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snappy Irish Phrases

Options
  • 03-06-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I'm looking for help: a person i know is looking for a snappy Irish word or saying to put on tshirts for a school, for promotion of the Irish language.
    I suggested 'Ceart go leoooor' as in Awwwwwriiiight but its too long, both in characters and for it to roll off the tongue. (Though we do say it in my school..:rolleyes:)

Something that would be taken to mean as 'Sorted' or 'In the bag' would be good, or showing how easy Irish is.
    For that I suggested 'Gaeilge = éasca', she then wanted to go with 'Ró éasca' as in the "Americanism": 'Too easy'. I'm a bit dodgy on that one myself.

Anyway, the point is does anyone have any poistive, encouraging but above all SNAPPY irish words/phrases that would be appropriate? My dictionary is uafásach!;)
    (P.S. All 'is féidir linn', póg mo thóin or similar comments, unless extremely helpful, will be taken as spam and reported.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Éacht/gaisce= feat or achievement.
    Tairbhe= gain.
    Sómás= ease/comfort.
    Sómásach= easy/comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I'm looking for help: a person i know is looking for a snappy Irish word or saying to put on tshirts for a school, for promotion of the Irish language.
    I suggested 'Ceart go leoooor' as in Awwwwwriiiight but its too long, both in characters and for it to roll off the tongue. (Though we do say it in my school..:rolleyes:)

Something that would be taken to mean as 'Sorted' or 'In the bag' would be good, or showing easy Irish is.
    For that is suggested 'Gaeilge = éasca', she then wanted to go with 'Ró éasca' as in the "Americanism" 'Too easy'. I'm a bit dodgy on that one myself.

Anyway, the point is does anyone have any poistive, encouraging but above all SNAPPY irish words/phrases that would be appropriate? My dictionary is uafásach!;)
    (P.S. All 'is féidir linn', póg mo thóin or similar comments, unless extremely helpful, will be taken as spam and reported.)

There's a basic problem with this. Irish isn't easy. Of course learning the cúpla focal and being able to say 'is maith liom cáca milis' and that sort of thing is easy -learning a few sentences and few words in any language is easy- but becoming fully fluent or even moderately fluent in Irish isn't easy.

So I would suggest something like 'Irish - put your back into it'.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I remember "Hardcore Gaeilgeoir" from when I was in school. Probably doesn't fit the bill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

We've all heard of "Mol an óige is tiocfaidh sí", it occurs to me that "Meall an óige is tiocfaidh sí" is just as important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

pog it wrote: »
    So I would suggest something like 'Irish - put your back into it'.
    Those two comments are genuinely unhelpful and discouraging. I don't care what your opinion on learning Irish is - this is for under twelves, and anything to throw a positive light on irish, along with having some phrase they can be confident in using, is good for the language.
    Also that's far too long.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

éasca péasca - easy peasy

Those two comments are genuinely unhelpful and discouraging. I don't care what your opinion on learning Irish is - this is for under twelves, and anything to throw a positive light on irish, along with having some phrase they can be confident in using, is good for the language.
    Also that's far too long.:P

I don't know how old you are but I suspect you are young so I'm not going to argue with you. Maybe ease off on the confrontational manner though with people you don't know. My opinion about learning Irish is positive but realistic.

And you didn't say it was for U-12s so yeah that's another story to something for secondary schools. Maybe in future give full and complete information for what you want and people will be able to help you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Something that would be taken to mean as 'Sorted' or 'In the bag' would be good, or showing how easy Irish is.
    For that I suggested 'Gaeilge = éasca', she then wanted to go with 'Ró éasca' as in the "Americanism": 'Too easy'. I'm a bit dodgy on that one myself.

Fág seo! = Let's go!
    Gabh i leith! = come here!
    Togha! = Great!
    Tá tú togha! = You're great! ..... can be used with other persons too, sé, sí etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Gaeilge: gan stró ...effortless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

pog it wrote: »
    And you didn't say it was for U-12s.
    Fair enough

Advertisement