Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSAW WANTED

Options
  • 13-05-2009 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I am looking for a good bandsaw (preferably secondhand). It will need a min cutting depth of 175mm+. Can anybody please advise where I could get one or what types are best. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

The heavier duty the better in my experience. That means a sturdy heavy cast iron table and a large width blade.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

hi,
    it really depends on what you want the bandsaw for - big heavy cuts or fine thin timber slices ?

me - big heavy cuts to prepare blanks for the lathe and thats why I got myself a butchers bandsaw a few years back. best money I ever spent. 18" cut and a stainless steel body.
    It's a pure animal so no fine cuts even with the guide down, but thats not a problem for me. it's called a "butcher boy".

what type do you need ?
    put a wanted ad in adverts.ie - might be worth it.

k

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Are you resawing? if so and you want a minimum 7'' cut , that will mean a fairly hefty machine.Good blade guides are important as is blade choice, give us a bit more info as to what you want to do with the saw.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,
    have a look at these few places

Tool-uphttp://www.tooled-up.com/SearchBasic.asp?Keywords=bandsaw&SearchType=2
    Axminster -search for bandsaw

and auld faithful - ebay.ie & co.uk

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 rexel1

Cheers for the replies. Any more would be appreciated. I will be using the bandsaw to cut planks. They will be no more than 2.5inches thick and about 175mm high (will need to take slight edges off) . Do you have any idea where I would be able to get a good suitable bandsaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have one of these ...

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php?section=product&seq=797

and I'm very happy with it. Got it from Goughs on Little Mary St.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've got this one, the 500, didn't pay anywhere near the money their asking though in McQ's in capel.Confused about that:confused:If your looking heavy duty second hand it may be worth while looking in the likes of these guys
    actually a search shows they have none in stock,but plenty of other stuff if anyone's browsing,including two mother of lathes that probably wouldn't even fit in my shed. I bought a second very old bandsaw years ago from them,worked ok,plenty of power but not very advanced.Can't remember what I paid. I'd second the butchers bandsaw idea.In my youth I worked in a butchers,those bandsaws could cut through cow shin bones like butter.

Went into McQuillans today. They have a good range of bandsaws in there. There is a RecordPower display/show on in there today and tomorrow with a few good deals. Am still on the lookout for a secondhand one aswell.

Hi guys,

Well after a good bit of research I have it narrowed down to the following 3 bandsaws. I can get them all for around the same price. Which do you think is the best option.

1. Record Power BS300E (New)
    2. SIP 14" 2 Speed S 01489 (New)
    3. MJ344C (Nearly New) I think this is a chinese model. See photo's below
    38129547__1240840125__0__2-6cac5bc6813e83f9274a6a6dbf39a3cd.__thumb__.jpg38129547__1240840125__1__1-eae1b30f4b71b52000790d41e072a56d.__thumb__.jpg

Any feedback would be great. I hope to buy in the next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

On motor size the MJ344C wins hands down, with a 1500 motor, it's a full size saw too. They all have near enough the same cutting capacity, the record having the smallest of the three and the smallest motor too. The record and Mj are probably made in the same factory too. My choice would be the MJ, purely on capacity, of course being second hand I'd look for some sort of guarantee, if it's a private sale I'd try and get someone who knows band saws to have a look, or at least cut a piece of hard wood. Blades wouldn't be a problem no matter which one you buy, trend in JFK will make them for any size you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cnGael07Vinny

im also lookin to by a bandsaw.....cutting out inch thick planks ..what type of bpi would i be looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bill o brien

It seem butchers band saws work for cutting timber but can it go vice versa thinking of killing a few lambs and just need it to split the saddles and cut shoulder chops can knife cut and cleave the rest. Can i get a second hand cheap timber saw to do the job on bone or am i kiddding myself

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

:eek: Where would all the juices and bits go?

Ill only kill what i need so blood etc down the drain and i got 140 acres to play with to dispose of the rest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

slowburner wrote: »
    :eek: Where would all the juices and bits go?

I just meant, where would all the bits go, in the saw.I'd be concerned about bone fragments etc. jamming in the blade guides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

OMG:eek:

:D

slowburner wrote: »
    I just meant, where would all the bits go, in the saw.I'd be concerned about bone fragments etc. jamming in the blade guides.

Well bone doesnt fragment in my experience using butcher boy brand bandssaws. It cuts cleanly on fine tooth blades leaving behind minimal bone dust which collects inside the body of the saw and can be cleaned at the end of day. My question is as i only need the saw a few times a year and i cant afford a butcherboy saw new or second hand, would an affordable run of the mill saw do the job. I reckon its start saving time and splash out on the butcher boy but my aim at the start was kill my own and save money. Anyone want lamb for the freezer??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

you mad *******

Well bone doesnt fragment in my experience using butcher boy brand bandssaws. It cuts cleanly on fine tooth blades leaving behind minimal bone dust which collects inside the body of the saw and can be cleaned at the end of day. My question is as i only need the saw a few times a year and i cant afford a butcherboy saw new or second hand, would an affordable run of the mill saw do the job. I reckon its start saving time and splash out on the butcher boy but my aim at the start was kill my own and save money. Anyone want lamb for the freezer??????

How much do Butcherboys cost? I'm fairly sure that if you hunt around you'll find one you can afford. Wood cutting bandsaws are not designed to deal with liquids, unlike Butcherboys.

• Advertisement

If you're not having any luck finding a Butcherboy or similar, PM me in the near future and I may be able to help you out.

Do I smell a mythical scandinavian creature that dwells in caves or under bridges :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stan72

i have a bandsaw for sale 400euro ph 0861726912

Advertisement