Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Table (advice please)

Options
  • 28-05-2011 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi I just picked up the new Hitachi M12VE router 1/2 inch collet 220v.:)

Dying to start playing with it so I need advice from the experts. I want to make a router table for myself and I saw a few Utube videos that look easy enough.

The frame is not really a problem but I need advice on best kind of table surface(I was thinking stainless steel or smooth venner)

Then I have seen a few videos where people have removed their vase plates and replaced with larger polycarbonate ones. Is this a good idea? Do I need to pick up a collet extension, if so what kind?

Wiring----I am going to put a socket inside under the table to plug in to. This socket will be wired with flex to a large switch at the front(like the ones for bathroom extractor fans) This will be my safety switch and from there It will be flex running to mains or socket.

I will need advice on an ajustable guard system too. Iv seen jig packs for this purpose on rockler woodworks site. Is there a place that sells stuff for this reason in Ireland?

Ive also seen electric systems for raising and lowering the router and easy bit change systems but I dont know what is novelty and what is essential.

Is this a handy way of doing it?
    Am I missing anything?
    The router is by far my favourite tool and il be buying the leigh jig in the next few months so I want a nice router table to complement my dovetails etc.

Ive used spindle moulders before but I really could do with help in the construction of a nice router table.

Anyway cheers in advance for the educated guidance;).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

You'll find lots of cool instructional vids on the web alright, I was too lazy and bought a Record Power table myself, which I improved with home made finger boards etc. A collet extension is essential, I bought one from Trend, along with their kit for cleaning the collets. Formica faced MDF seems to be a popular choice for the table top. I made up some drop in plates from perspex, made to measure. A NVR switch is your best option for safe switching of the router and these are cheap enough. I used 32mm PVc waste pipe and combination of bends etc coupled with an old vacuum hose to rig up the best extraction system I could.

Advertisement