Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden windows unfinished

Options
  • 11-05-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Got an extention done last summer but builder left large wooden windows unfinished.
    They are scandinavian pine and have no wooden trim or rubber seals.
    Builder was supposed to come back an fit two large opening windows but now i just want to make sure they don't let water in .Basically all i'm looking for is where to get the right materials,i'm pretty sure i could fit it myself while the weather isn't too bad.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

go down to your local wood supplier and get some matching trim and ask for sealer or puty. Depends on the window really. Easy job, a bit tedious if your all thumbs. just spend a bit of time on your mitres and you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Paul.C wrote: »
    go down to your local wood supplier and get some matching trim and ask for sealer or puty. Depends on the window really. Easy job, a bit tedious if your all thumbs. just spend a bit of time on your mitres and you should be fine

Yeah probably the way to go but was hoping there was somewhere that sold the wood with the rubber attached and i could just cut it to measure.Have some of the wood with rubber seal that the builder never fitted but its not complete,there's a lot missing so would be better to start again.

Well I had a look around there myself and didnt find anyone who really specializes in wood/rubber trim so I reckon you have 2 options.

Firstly ring a few window suppliers(not installers)and ask can they supply it for you. You will need a thickness and a width and an overall length. Id imagine they come in 8-10ft lenghts so take this into account when ordering how many lengths you need. Id ring around as id say you will get very different pricing too:rolleyes: Once you have them just mitre, glue and nail them on. If you havnt done this before then take your time and ensure the two surfaces being glued are dry. Make sure you use the correct glue waterproof/ external etc. Use a punch to hide the nail/pins and fill.

Second option is buy the two parts separate and fit. Heres a link to a place in dublin 8, there may be a place closer to you!

http://www.doorandwindowseals.com/DOOR-SEALS/163-100m-coil-p-foam-epdm-seal-self-adhesive-brown.html

I reckon that would be the easiest for you to work with. That seal profile doesnt need any routering, just cut with stanley and stick on. Again check that dimensions match and find best option for yourself.

Also you can buy seal on ebay and from uk by the meter very cheap, almost half price compared to here but again its up to yourself. Just make sure the seal you buy will marry into the wood trim.

Hope this helps mate best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Thanks a lot,that site looks like great ,should find something there to do the job.

no problem:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement