Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shuttering ply sealant?

Options
  • 14-05-2011 11:01am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I knocked together a mini ramp a couple of years ago for my son and his pals. (For you non skating/biking dudes it's a plywood structure for performing stunts etc.).
    It's built out of 18mm shuttering ply for the carcass and 12mm shuttering ply on the curved faces.
    Anyway, the problem is that the ramp has been out in all weathers - the last two winters have really taken their toll. The ply is probably fairly close to the point where it's about to delaminate.
    I would prefer not to invest any more time and money rebuilding or recovering, so I was thinking that maybe there is some kind of sealant I could apply to extend the structure's life. Obviously, it shouldn't make the surface slippy or be too expensive.
    Anyone got any thoughts on what I might apply?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

build a new 1 from marine ply and give it a good under structure.

To late to seal the other1, all youd be doing is sealing the moisture in.
    Once shuttering ply gets a twist in it thats it:( not a hope in straightening it out, other than putting extra weight into the undercarrage. Only problem there is your son and his pals would need a forklift to bring it out to use:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The plywood is too sound to throw away and I don't fancy forking out for marine ply - it doesn't bend as well as shuttering ply either. The substructure is p/t 4 x 2 - all sound as a bell.
    I think I'll wait for a dry spell and apply some kind of coating

fair enuf i suppose, shuttering ply must be in better nick than I was thinking.
    If it were me Depending on the bend, 4mm ply layered and glued between layers then tacked or screwed to frame would get a nice bend. I think flexy ply would be a bit OTT for what your looking at.

Best o luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Cheers Paul.C - I used 12mm ply. It takes a fine bend if it's left to soak for a day or two.

lol Ive never heard of soaking a sheat of shuttering ply. Ive boiled, steamed and heated wood to get certain bends before but never glued sheets.:)
    Fair play, I suppose der really is 100 ways to bake a cake:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement