Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marshall Amp Question

Options
  • 16-07-2006 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I'll keep it simple.

I want a Marshall (don't ask why)
    Around 50w
    €400 (ish)

Suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

McMalley wrote:
    I want a Marshall (don't ask why)

Why?

Seriously though, I'm not asking out of spite of you saying not to ask, but the why of an amp will help us recommend something suitable. What style are you going for? Any particular players who's tone you like? Why Marshall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

You wont get a decent Marshall in that pricerange, buddy. Ya gotta look outside ye olde boxxe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Some people just dig that distortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

You can get the €400 Marshall distortion by plugging a Boss DS1 straight into the PA. ;) On that kind of budget, most amps sound pretty damn similar in my experience. A Marshall will just cost more. Go digital instead.

I know the question was just about Marshall, but honestly - I couldn't recommend anything Marshall in that budget with a clear conscience. No matter what sound you're going for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I got a Line 6 Spider II 210 for 350euro - new.
    I know it's not what the OP was looking for but I'm very happy with what I got for the cash. I'm sure there are members here that don't think much of digital amps but it covers a wide range of sounds pretty well and is damn loud to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

if you intend to waste 400 on a marshall, just send the money to me, i could waste it far more productively.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

As with all the above, even going second-hand, you really haven't a hope of getting a real Marshall for that price. When I say real Marshall I'm referring to the ones that made those sounds you loved, and that you're defining Marshalls as. Unfortunately, they don't make those anymore, and are living on their legacy, which, as you can see even by your own enthusiasm to get one, is huge. I don't blame you, frankly, but if you were to say, double your budget, you could get one. I picked one up on eBay, an old JCM800 combo, one of the two classic Marshall sounds (the other being the 1959 SLP), and it's a sound I've craved since I picked up the guitar. It's just balls and crunch, which may be what you're looking for. I got mine for €819 all told, worked out cheaper than I expected. I say, put that money away, add to it, and splurge on one of the old-school Marshalls, the ones you're really looking for. You're going to be looking for old ones though. The reissues are hugely expensive and not as well-built. Hell, the one I got is six years older than me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as the rest here, i agree with them. unless you're willing to spend more you just going to get a marshall that will disappoint.

may i suggest two alternatives in your range that might suit...

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_peavey_classic_30_prodinfo.html
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_peavey_valve_king_212_prodinfo.html

they will kick the ass out of any marshall in the same price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Cremo wrote:
    as the rest here, i agree with them. unless you're willing to spend more you just going to get a marshall that will disappoint.

may i suggest two alternatives in your range that might suit...

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_peavey_classic_30_prodinfo.html
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_peavey_valve_king_212_prodinfo.html

they will kick the ass out of any marshall in the same price range.
    I concur with creamo here, id advise you to go for one of those babies, they will kill any marshall for around the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

i picked up my 6101LM second hand for 550 euro. To be fair i was very very lucky but there is a **** hot amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

You could pick up a Marshall AVT50 for about 500 ish.

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_marshall_avt50x_gitarrencombo_prodinfo.html

Go 2nd hand.
    Alternatively there is a Marshall MG series for E400.
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_marshall_mg50dfx_prodinfo.html
    Its a marshall. It sounds **** (buddy bought an MG30), but its an answer to your question :/

AVTs aren't too bad, but I'd avoid the the MGs like a plague. Although if you can track one down on Ebay, an 8100 is quite good. Far better than the AVTs anyway.

i cannot stand AVT. I would even take an MG over one. You should just keep looking nad stretch your budget slightly and get yourself a tube marshall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The AVT's aren't too bad, but to be honest, if I had 500 cash to buy an amp, I would save more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I had an AVT 275 and I loved it.. thinking of getting another just as a practive amp.. The MG's are right heaps of ****e though

I'd go for a Diesel

TK

I was just answering the guys question, but MG's are a complete rip-off. They sound incredibly sh1t. I dont know how they are so sh1t, but they are. Utter utter sh1t.
    I have an AVT275 that I got on the cheap and its grand. Will be replacing it soon though.
    I built two 2x12 cabs from Celestion G12's I got from musicstore, so will get a head for them.
    Awesomeness distilled. Must post pics actually...

Paladin wrote:
    I built two 2x12 cabs from Celestion G12's I got from musicstore, so will get a head for them.
    Awesomeness distilled. Must post pics actually...

Damn right you must post pics. I was wondering what happened with the whole cab building thing, by the time I had any money they had sold out of the speakers at that price. :(

Unlucky man. They are damned loud. Really really loud! Open back cabs. Classic rock sound as opposed to metal. Would need to close the back for metal, but I dont play metal really. I play classic rock, so basically perfect :)
    Outstanding clean tone too. Really room filling sound I wasnt used to since I always had closed back cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭McMalley

ok, all good thoughts on the issue. someone guessed correctly that I am indeed looking for that classic sound, balls and crunch I think was how it was put.

so lets say I start thinking outside the box, in this case what do the people recommend?

• Advertisement

a lot more money and a 1959SLP or a JCM800. The '59 SLP ain't cheap, but you can pick up a JCM800 combo for under a grand. Happy hunting. :)

You'll find a 70's 1959 head for much the same price as a JCM800 head - I've seen a few on ebay close for 1000ish dollars (ex shipping, which is the tricky part). If you're looking for classic Marshall you should also try and lay your hands on a 4x12 closed cab loaded with Celestion G12Hs.

If you do buy an old amp, you should realistically expect to have to sink another 200-250 euros into it for new valves and a service etc.

I appreciate your input guys but referring back to my original post, I am on a budget, in and around €400. Im open to suggestions for any amp that can do the job.

There is no amp that will do the job. Your budget is simply too small. Have a look for digital amps that claim to do a Plexi or JCM800 sound - that's as close as you're going to get to classic Marshall.

Personally, I would recommend you save your money. A 400 euro amp will only hold about half its resale value, so it's a pretty poor investment.

I dont mind waiting, as I see it its gonna be an investment as Im looking at it as an amp I will have for the foreseeable future. Suppose I did extend my budget, and was looking for an amp to last me a long time, what would you recommend?

A JCM800 or a 1959 SLP. Try the reissues in town, see which you prefer, then buy an older one, as the originals are better than the reissues.

to be honest McMalley i would go try out every amp you see. Our opinions here are grand and all but we all have our own tastes. I know if i went with what some of the guys swore by i would be dissapointed down the line and vice versa. I really would just try out all the amps and sure if you like AVT, buy AVT. If you like MG, Buy MG. Some of the biggest bands in the world have guitar sounds that any amp i would consider to sound "Good" could not replicate. You may love the sound of a 10w fender over some 100w marshalls or diezels or bogners. Just go try them out, see what you think. It may be you need to spend 1000 or maybe 300. Dont go by the whole "Thats too little" school of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Look at the ENGL thunder 50

I'll agree with what sei has said, you really will have to try something out before you can know what's the amp for you. Definetly trust your ears.

With that said though, it might be a good idea if you let us know what kind of style you're into, what players you dig, what kind of sound you're going for. We can direct you towards suitable amps to try out then, but make damn sure you try them out before buying anything!

• Advertisement

cheers for the honesty sei and karl. tbh the reason I put up this post was cuz ive no idea when it comes to the tech side of guitars, been playin 10 years but have no clue whats good etc. or what to look at. Im kinda all over the place with what Im into,some days its classic rock lizzy,zep,floyd,etc, some days its kinda emo stuff(ive no interest in the lyrics), other days its gnr,vh,the police,eits,changes all the time.any input would be appreciated.

Advertisement