Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Contribtion/Tuition Fees confusion!!

• 30-10-2014 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently just started back at college as a mature student and Im in reciept of a grant from SUSI.

The letter states they will cover student contribution of €2750

OR

Tuition fees to the maximum of €6270.

Im liable for tuition fees this year as I attended another college a few years back for 1 year and received free fees. I think my tuition fees for the year are around €3000.

Does this mean I have to pay the student contribution myself?

Also, I'm in reciept of the Back to education allowance and I believe their is some relief from the student Contribtion for recieptients of this.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

hey ya

are you an UG or PG student.

The letters from SUSI can be very vague but a good rule of thumb is that there is no funding for repeat years - i.e. as you did a Year 1 already and received free tuition fees you would be liable for tuition fees if you are back in Year 1. SUSI would not cover tuition fees for repeat years. As long as you didnt receive a grant for the Year 1 you did already SUSI should cover the 2750.00

3000 for tuition fees alone is quite high so again I am not sure if you are PG student. Full fees for a full time hons degree are 3819.

Call into Student Services with your letter and they should help clarify it for you ....you have to give the letter to them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

If its over 5 years they will pay everything and youll get the BTEA weekly.

If not your paying the fees but youll still get the BTEA weekly.

Not sure about the relief for BTEA. Usually you pay full whack if your repeating same level but still just get the Weekly. Stops people just constantly repeating to stay on the BTEA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi,

I've recently just started back at college as a mature student and Im in reciept of a grant from SUSI.

The letter states they will cover student contribution of €2750

OR

Tuition fees to the maximum of €6270.

Im liable for tuition fees this year as I attended another college a few years back for 1 year and received free fees. I think my tuition fees for the year are around €3000.

Does this mean I have to pay the student contribution myself?

Also, I'm in reciept of the Back to education allowance and I believe their is some relief from the student Contribtion for recieptients of this.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

If you are on btea you can usually get a SUSI grant to cover the student contribution fee. I see what you mean though this is a bit confusing and you are wondering if susi will pay tuition fees plus student contribution. The vest thing really is to ask susi.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement