Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SUSI Grant application

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Arrived home to find a letter from susi, after emailing then and all yesterday! The letter today is requesting more documents :( this time they want my fathers income and expenditure for his part time self enjoyed job he did for a year last year! I already sent in everyone they asked for and now this! Really annoying looks like il never get the grant now at this stage it will take forever :(

I rang susi help desk and the person told me u can write up a profit and loss account myself, I said really? She said ye just write out what your dad spend in expenses etc and what he made then at the end? My father is very I'll in hospital that's why he can't do it but anyway it was all on that form 11 and the tax returns I already gave them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Just noticed a mystery credit for 200 euro on the 15th of October from Cork Educati.... this is hardly the SUSI payment is it (reference to old Cork VEC?)

Technically my application is still awaiting final assessment as per the tracker page. Did this happen to anyone else i.e. payment of grant prior to approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Vayda

After sending back my requested documents again. I got another letter yesterday asking for the same document. I spoke with someone at SUSI last week about the fact that all the bills were in my partners name from the previous October. He said to contact my previous landlord and get a letter stating I lived there last year, which I did.

So it's very frustrating to get the same request. I don't have anything else for them, and am afraid that if they won't accept the letter (after the guy said it should be okay) that I'll have to drop out and try again next year. All of this after applying early June is so annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭donnyb28

Do SUSI send you an email or text to inform you of a decision? I've been on Final Assessment stage for nearly 7 weeks now. Any help appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Application this year has been a disaster. My circumstances changed significantly since I started the application so I had to be reassessed. They originally only wanted one piece of documentation which I sent off. Then they requested a birth cert, P60 and P21. We had to get in contact with the Tax Office which we did straight anyway to get the P21. No sign of it so we have been in there several times trying to sort it out. We were told then that we didn't need to send this to SUSI as they have access to all of these documents, therefore the tax office would not issue a P21 to us. Posted off the other documents thinking it was fine.
    Today I have received a letter saying I am missing the P21 and need to submit it, despite the fact we included a note in the other documents explaining what the tax office had told us. They will not give us a P21. SUSI want the P21 but will not access it themselves, so my application is just in limbo and I have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any advice?

Ring SUSI and tell them you are lodging an official complaint about it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks I'd suggest anyone who is having extra delays or unnecessary document requests go through SUSI complaint procedures

http://www.susi.ie/QuickLinks/Complaints.aspx

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Folks I'd suggest anyone who is having extra delays or unnecessary document requests go through SUSI complaint procedures

http://www.susi.ie/QuickLinks/Complaints.aspx

I think i might try this. I was waiting for 2 months like alot of people but got a letter last week requesting holiday payslips(payslips for 2 weeks at easter, 2 weeks at Christmas and 12 weeks of Summer). I rang them up explaining that I had already provided my p60 but he maintained that I would have to provide them. Seems ridiculous to me.

Can someone please advise me, susi are requesting a copy of full set if accounts for 2013, they are looking for trading account, profit and loss, capital account and balance sheet for each business 2013!

So basically my dad works as a paye full time, and did a day or two for a catalogue place selling stuff like a avon type rep person. He got an accountant to so the accounts, only very small income he made from it.

Basically accountant did his return, and I sent on the sect assessment to susi. Now they want this set of full accounts.

I went and all the account has for my father is the full trading statement. The accountant said my father wouldn't have a capital account or any irking like that as it wasn't a business as such. I rang susi about this and they were no help whatsoever!

Has anyone any experience of this it any idea what to do, kind of stressed out over it now as it will just keep delaying things if it's not right!

Appreciate any help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

54000 have been awarded, 19000 are still waiting.

• Advertisement

Going to have to defer my course for the year, as susi are requesting a specific document from me that doesn't exist. A utility bill in my name from Oct 2013 specifically. All the bills were in my partners name and we moved between then and now. Susi said they are strict on documents, so I'm not going to get mine. Shame it took them so long to assess what was sent in early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

Vayda wrote: »
    Going to have to defer my course for the year, as susi are requesting a specific document from me that doesn't exist. A utility bill in my name from Oct 2013 specifically. All the bills were in my partners name and we moved between then and now. Susi said they are strict on documents, so I'm not going to get mine. Shame it took them so long to assess what was sent in early June.

Is the utility bill for proof of residency? If so, you could get in touch with the landlord and ask them for a letter stating the address, rent paid, dates etc. You shouldn't have to defer because of this, not everyone has bills in their own name.

Is the utility bill for proof of residency? If so, you could get in touch with the landlord and ask them for a letter stating the address, rent paid, dates etc. You shouldn't have to defer because of this, not everyone has bills in their own name.

Yeah, I spoke with them about it, and then contacted my landlord sending them a letter. They deemed it insufficient and declined it. I changed some bills into my name at my new address, for next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Kakidd

Sorry, quick question. I'm still waiting final assessment.
    Are you married to your partner?
    I had nos bills with my name last year. So I send on my husband name and our marriage certificate.
    I hope it's not an issue.
    Thanks

Kakidd wrote: »
    Sorry, quick question. I'm still waiting final assessment.
    Are you married to your partner?
    I had nos bills with my name last year. So I send on my husband name and our marriage certificate.
    I hope it's not an issue.
    Thanks

No, I'm not. We've been cohabiting for about 6 years. If you send in your marriage cert, that's fine. I've read that's what you do if you're married and the bills are in your spouses name.

Thanks for The answer Vadia. Sorry to hear about your situation.
    I'm over two months waiting final assessment and can't bare the idea that after all they would refuse the grant to me.

• Advertisement

Kakidd wrote: »
    Thanks for The answer Vadia. Sorry to hear about your situation.
    I'm over two months waiting final assessment and can't bare the idea that after all they would refuse the grant to me.

No problem :) Hope it works out for you.

Going to get working and save up. Might have better luck with everything next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TheAdammaka

Hi guys, my application has been on finial assessment since 10th September. Does anyone have any idea when it will be through?
    Thanks!

check this How long did it take you to receive the grant
    i cant post the link because Im new user

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭CapsLock20

Hi I am new to this so hoping someone can help me out!

I have been awarded the following rate and type of grant:

Maintenance: 100% rate (Adjacent)
    Undergraduate Fees: 100% rate of Student Contribution or 100% Tuition Fees.

However I am confused by the Maintenance Grant:

"Your maintenance grant has been awarded at the adjacent rate on the basis that the assessed distance via the shortest most direct route, excluding toll roads, from your normal residence to the institution you are attending is 45km or less."

Does normal residence mean your home address or your student accomodation? As my home address is 180km from the college. Can anyone simplify this for me or explain how the Maintenance grant is worked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭questionmark

It's the distance from your home (parents house) to collage

• Advertisement

Thanks questionmark. Still confused.

Ring them tomorrow and ask . If this is your first year in collage have you been living in the same address for the last few years , and its over 45km from Ur collage ?

Yes it's my first year in college. And yes I have always lived at the same address which is my parents house 180km from the college.

Probably just a mistake or something so . Ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Heard an interview on todayfm today with a UCD student waiting on a grant.
    Good to hear the issue getting some attention in the media.
    I'd recommend that you all lodge complaints with SUSI if you've had a bad experience (as I have)
    It's totally unacceptable that people have been waiting so long, dropping out of courses or getting themselves into debt because of the crazy delays.
    They badly need to fix the system.
    Wishing you all luck with your applications.
    K

More documents requested...
    YAY.

I emailed them in a conplaint, i didn't get any reply by email or anything like that from susi to say they received it, I sent it into the compliants email address! Usually if you send anything to susi support you get automated email back but I didn't for the complaint would it be better to post it in?

kaki wrote: »
    More documents requested...
    YAY.

Seems to be all susi are doing, is requesting more documents from people :(

bri007, I sent my complaint to the complaints email address and they replied to me about 5 days later (although they did spell my name completely wrong...)
    Have you been waiting long?
    On the site it says you'll get a reply within 5 days.

I' only sent in the complaint least Friday. I've applied to susi the first day it opened back up but they keep requesting more and more documents and putting me to the bottom of the queue each time.

Did you get anywhere with the complaint?

• Advertisement

No progress yet but the person investigating my complaint contacted me directly and will contact me again to try and resolve it. Not sure what the time-frame will be exactly.
    I don't expect my complaint to speed up the assessment process but I just want them to acknowledge the mistakes made and make stop it happening in future.

Yeah true, if more people complain hopefully it will help others applying the next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

bri007 wrote: »
    I emailed them in a conplaint, i didn't get any reply by email or anything like that from susi to say they received it, I sent it into the compliants email address! Usually if you send anything to susi support you get automated email back but I didn't for the complaint would it be better to post it in?

I complained a few weeks ago and not go automated response. Took about 5 or 6 working days to get a response. I was very impressed with their response if I'm honest and I got a phone call to follow up everything from the response. I'd say hold out another day or two. If you get nothing by Monday I'd contact them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone any idea how the back payments work? Got approval towards the end of October and received a payment in the first week of Nov, but that leaves sept and oct not paid as of yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Payments are a month in arrears. October's payment covered attendance in September, Novembers payment will be for October and so on.

I would imagine the payment you got was Octobers payment covering September. You should get another payment in a week or 2 for October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Anyone any idea how the back payments work? Got approval towards the end of October and received a payment in the first week of Nov, but that leaves sept and oct not paid as of yet?

No one gets paid in september but you will get paid in june to make up for that. You should get another payment next friday again I think to cover november

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Owryan wrote: »
    Payments are a month in arrears. October's payment covered attendance in September, Novembers payment will be for October and so on.

I would imagine the payment you got was Octobers payment covering September. You should get another payment in a week or 2 for October
    clairek6 wrote: »
    No one gets paid in september but you will get paid in june to make up for that. You should get another payment next friday again I think to cover november

Thanks guys, dont remember getting June payments in the past but i'll bow to your wisdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 Irish_poster

Can anyone tell me how long it is for the "Application queued for Final Assessment" process? And what about the process after that? I know it says 4-6 weeks but I think that's a load of bollocks to be honest. I got a letter as well today saying I have to fill out an FCA form and fill in my bank details but I have them already done with 2 weeks!!

I was told (after messaging them on Facebook last week) that I should receive a letter within 10 days. Similar to you, applied in July, documents submitted in August, more docs requested and resubmitted in early November. Living in hope, can't help but suspect the 10 day line is a load of b*llocks as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I was told (after messaging them on Facebook last week) that I should receive a letter within 10 days. Similar to you, applied in July, documents submitted in August, more docs requested and resubmitted in early November. Living in hope, can't help but suspect the 10 day line is a load of b*llocks as well.

Probably is b*llocks. I had to send in more documents and they received them a week later on October 2nd. No letter or anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

Just said Id post to see if anyone can give me some advice? I'm at my wits end.

I was awarded the 100% adjacent rate, my brother was awarded the Special, Non-adjacent rate. We live in the same house, our circumstances are totally the same even go to the same college.

Google maps give you two different measurements from my house to the college. If you put in my house-college, you get over 45km the other way around you get 45.0km on the dot. For some reason they are sticking to the 45km measurement and didn't for my brother. It's totally unfair, I keep going around in circles with SUSI.

Lamina wrote: »
    Just said Id post to see if anyone can give me some advice? I'm at my wits end.

I was awarded the 100% adjacent rate, my brother was awarded the Special, Non-adjacent rate. We live in the same house, our circumstances are totally the same even go to the same college.

Google maps give you two different measurements from my house to the college. If you put in my house-college, you get over 45km the other way around you get 45.0km on the dot. For some reason they are sticking to the 45km measurement and didn't for my brother. It's totally unfair, I keep going around in circles with SUSI.

Thats ridiculous. I would definitely appeal/make formal complaint/contact local TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

Thats ridiculous. I would definitely appeal/make formal complaint/contact local TD.

Ya it's currently in appeal I had to send them screenshots of Google maps. Rang them after two weeks, girl on the phone said I should be expecting a letter for more documentation to be assessed. No letter arrived. Rang again, was told there was no record of an appeal. Supposedly the appeal is in now but I don't know about that. It's actually causing me way more stress than college itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TheAdammaka

Got awarded on the 25th November. Why the hell don't they back date the payments when it is awarded instead of waiting until the next payment?!? When is the next payment anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Got awarded on the 2nd of December, no letter received yet though.
    When is the next payment date ? And dya reckon Ill get paid then?

• Advertisement

Seems like our friends at SUSI have woken up (finally) - great to here of people getting awarded at long last.

I'm not sure when next payment is - I think either December 12th or December 19th according to this: http://www.susi.ie/QuickLinks/Payments-(1)/Higher-Education-Maintenance-Grants-Payment-Schedu.aspx

Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

People who got awarded between November 21st and 11th December will get a payment on December 12th. This is for the previous months payments which have been missed.
    The normal monthly payment will be given on December 19th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Got awarded on the 25th November. Why the hell don't they back date the payments when it is awarded instead of waiting until the next payment?!? When is the next payment anyway?

Maybe it's a banking system issue or even costs.
    From an administration perspective, it would be a nightmare to try and make daily payments based on the award date for every person that got awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kombatphase

Lamina wrote: »
    Ya it's currently in appeal I had to send them screenshots of Google maps. Rang them after two weeks, girl on the phone said I should be expecting a letter for more documentation to be assessed. No letter arrived. Rang again, was told there was no record of an appeal. Supposedly the appeal is in now but I don't know about that. It's actually causing me way more stress than college itself.
    I went to a local TD who contacted them about my financial situation but that was turned down but I was told I could do an internal review but that was turned down on the same 45km premise. They base it completely on the "shortest route" distance on Google Maps. I personally find completely unfair on how someone 1km up the road gets awarded a far greater grant than myself and I'm left to struggle. It's a total joke and it needs to be completely revised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 teacakes

Hey all, I got a letter requesting documentation this morning from SUSI. One of the required documents is a photocopy of my enrollment letter. However, as I am a second year college student I didn't actually get any physical enrollment letter this year (although I did in my first year, but I don't think I have that anymore).

Would a screenshot from my student admin listing what course I'm enrolled in work as proof of enrollment?

• Advertisement
Advertisement