Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We have House Martins!

Options
  • 03-05-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi all,

First time posting here :)

I am delighted to say that we have lodgers under the eaves of our house.

My partner spotted them early yesterday morning and they are still building the nest, coming back and forth every half an hour or so. I thought they were swallows at first but I'm pretty sure its a pair of House Martins. I have a very short clip of one of them flying out of the nest here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09wcyzNibYE

I'm really excited about them as I've never had a nest before. :D

Anyway I'm gunna keep a close eye on them and let ye know when they start incubating and I'll take loads of photos of parents and chicks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks for sharing - yes, they are House Martins alright ..RSPB page here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/h/housemartin/index.aspx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Nice one - we're still awaiting the return of our regular tenants. Just one recommendation, a power hose comes in handy for keeping the ground directly underneath the nest clean, they definitely don't believe in being tidy! (not like the robin in the Mooney cam, very impressed by the hygiene levels there!) Against that though, they do act as a great little 'insect patrol' around your house, no worries about flies or midges getting in during the summer when you've got your own little squadron out there on duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Nice one!
    Indeed the "mess" may need management.
    I put a board under my swallows nest to catch droppings. Not too close to allow predators an easy route in.

Advertisement