Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't sell those Rosary beeds?

Options
  • 22-01-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭

Interesting letter in today's Times (see below). I think it represents a range of views with Protestanism with respect to their relationship with RC Church.

SELLING ROSARIES IN ST PATRICK'S CATHEDRAL

Madam, - During a recent visit to St Patrick's Church of Ireland cathedral in Dublin, I was disappointed to discover a wide range of rosary beads for sale in the cathedral shop. I subsequently wrote to the Dean of St Patrick's, on behalf of the Evangelical Protestant Society, to request that these beads be withdrawn.

I said that while I freely recognised that not everything in the shop should be required to reflect a Protestant ethos, I felt that nothing on sale should actually conflict with that ethos.

The Rosary and the beads associated with it have no place within Protestantism and ought not to be found, for sale or otherwise, in a Protestant church. I further suggested that the space currently occupied by such emblems of Romanism would be better used, for example, to stock for example, a range of evangelical Christian literature.

Readers might be interested in the dean's reply. He advised me that the beads are sold because the majority of visitors were not Anglicans, and "if these visual aids are of use to them so much the better". His attitude is, of course, typical of the ecumenical movement and its leaders who, as the blind leading the blind, are quite content to call darkness light and light darkness.

The dean also pointed out that he doesn't share my view of Protestantism. Needless to say, neither I nor any other Bible-believing Protestant share his. - Yours, etc,

WALLACE THOMPSON, Secretary, Evangelical Protestant Society, Belfast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Protestant have perceived themselves to be under threat from RC for quite some time and I think it's understandable that they (or at least some) think it is somewhat offending selling artefacts from a different religion in their churches.

If this was happening in Belfast I'd be more understanding than when it's happening in St Patrick's Church of Ireland cathedral in Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

You may not like it, it may be pompous and uncharitable, but I think the 'complaint' is fair enough.

The secretary of the Evangeleical Protestant Society is hardly a representative view of protestantism either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I wonder if they were Catholic rosary beads or Anglican ones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Rosary

A classic case of 'If you can't beat them, then join them'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Caveat wrote: »

The secretary of the Evangeleical Protestant Society is hardly a representative view of protestantism either.
    Nor is the Dean of St Patrick's it would appear. I think it's a classic case of the Ulster folk being ethnocentric in ways some of us find difficult to understand.

I think it's a classic case of the Ulster folk being ethnocentric in ways some of us find difficult to understand.

It's more than that - The EPS is not even a religion, it's a minority ultra conservative pressure group of biblical fundamentalists with strong orange order ties. They are cranks and bigots. They represent no-one but their own members.

Taking their views seriously is akin to taking the rantings of Justin Barrett to be representative of catholics.

The vast majority of COI, methodist, baptist and presbyterian members, both north and south do not hold these views.

• Advertisement

The vast majority of COI, methodist, baptist and presbyterian members, both north and south do not hold these views.
    That's good to hear. Thank you for the education. I google him but couldn't find much. It would be interesting to see if there is any response from the denominations you mentioned.

If I may ask, in a previous post you said the complaint was "valid" and now you describe those who espouse the view as "ultra conservative pressure group of biblical fundamentalists" and the majority of the protestants would not hold these views.
    I am not saying you are contradicting yourself, but perhaps you'd elaborate on your views.

That's good to hear. Thank you for the education. I google him but couldn't find much. It would be interesting to see if there is any response from the denominations you mentioned.

If I may ask, in a previous post you said the complaint was "valid" and now you describe those who espouse the view as "ultra conservative pressure group of biblical fundamentalists" and the majority of the protestants would not hold these views.
    I am not saying you are contradicting yourself, but perhaps you'd elaborate on your views.

I have to come clean - I am agnostic (but from a COI background). Maybe I shouldn't even be posting here ;)

When I said "the vast majority of...do not hold these views" I was referring to the views of the EPS in general. Groups can espouse extreme views but still occasionally have 'a point' regarding something or other.

Protestantism on this island gets a bad press not least for historical/political reasons - which is understandable - but also because people often equate the orange order, free presbyterianism and the likes of the EPS with the faith, which is unfair as these are all minority interests. It just so happens that being a protestant is usually a prerequisite. It's almost like equating support for republican violence with catholicism.

The COI in particular is a progressive, liberal and democratic church in my experience.

As regards my view that the complaint was fair, well selling catholic 'items' in a COI church seems unusual to me - if not perhaps inappropriate.
    It doesn't bother me but I can understand that it would maybe bother others, that's all. I'm just trying to look at it objectively.

If there was a protestant equivalent of rosaries (I can't actually think of one) would catholics be completely tolerant of these being sold in cathedrals? I'd imagine there would be at least some resistance.

I have to come clean - I am agnostic (but from a COI background). Maybe I shouldn't even be posting here ;)

When I said "the vast majority of...do not hold these views" I was referring to the views of the EPS in general. Groups can espouse extreme views but still occasionally have 'a point' regarding something or other.

Protestantism on this island gets a bad press not least for historical/political reasons - which is understandable - but also because people often equate the orange order, free presbyterianism and the likes of the EPS with the faith, which is unfair as these are all minority interests. It just so happens that being a protestant is usually a prerequisite. It's almost like equating support for republican violence with catholicism.

The COI in particular is a progressive, liberal and democratic church in my experience.

As regards my view that the complaint was fair, well selling catholic 'items' in a COI church seems unusual to me - if not perhaps inappropriate.
    It doesn't bother me but I can understand that it would maybe bother others, that's all. I'm just trying to look at it objectively.

If there was a protestant equivalent of rosaries (I can't actually think of one) would catholics be completely tolerant of these being sold in cathedrals? I'd imagine there would be at least some resistance.

But isn't the concept of a church, design, layout, organisation and having a Bible all just taken from the RC church? All they are doing is changing minor aspects of it. Furthermore, whose Church is it?
    The Anglicans or God's but certainly not the EPS'. The EPS can certainly speaks for themselves but surely it is up to the Anglicans to decide what they do in their Church.

But isn't the concept of a church, design, layout, organisation and having a Bible all just taken from the RC church? All they are doing is changing minor aspects of it.

Sorry, I don't understand your point - and who is changing minor aspects - do you mean protestants in general or the EPS?
    whose church is it - certainly not the EPS'.

Agreed. Most definitely not.
    The EPS can certainly speaks for themselves but surely it is up to the Anglicans to decide what they do in their Church.

Yes I'm sure it is - but St Patrick's is a focal point for a lot of protestant denominations - most COI members & some presbyterians for example would have an affinity. The church would rely on certain protestant branches to make up the congregation - and as such, I don't think their sensitivities are completely ignored. The Dean however seemed to dismiss the EPS concerns - quite rightly IMO as regardless of whether some extremists may have a 'point', it is rarely a good idea to be seen to agree with people like this on anything as it runs the risk of offending more than it would appease.

But would you not also say that it is up to the Catholic church to decide what they do in thieir churches? and if so, does that mean nothing they decide can or should be questioned?

Again, if protestant relics/symbols were sold in the grounds of Catholic churches do you not think there would be at least some complaints?

The EPS appear to have been quite vocal about this but I would doubt that there have been no other queries about this.

Sorry, I don't understand your point - and who is changing minor aspects - do you mean protestants in general or the EPS?
    I meant Protestants in general. I don't get the way they say
    "ah well that's Roman Catholic" but one could argue their entire religion is just a derivative of Roman Catholicism. Why have the exact same New Testament (all 27 books) , Trinity, celebration of Christmas etc. etc. and then moan over Rosary beeds?
    But would you not also say that it is up to the Catholic church to decide what they do in thieir churches? and if so, does that mean nothing they decide can or should be questioned?
    Yes they decide and anyone can question. But surely only member can complain. Why gives the right for non-members to speak for members?
    Again, if protestant relics/symbols were sold in the grounds of Catholic churches do you not think there would be at least some complaints?
    Of course they're would. However I think the other way is more non-sensical because the Protestant Churches are all derivatives from the RC Church.
    It just doesn't make sense to me. It's a bit like Americans telling British people what is true English. Excuse the cringy analogy. Of course you could just as easily say it's a bit like the Italians showing the British how to play Soccer which they invariably do.

• Advertisement

I don't get the way they say
    "ah well that's Roman Catholic"

Because it is. Simple as that. Are you saying that protestants with their attendant customs/beliefs that are not shared by Roman Catholics do not have a right to exist or something?
    but one could argue their entire religion is just a derivative of Roman Catholicism.

...and both are forms of christianity - does it matter which came first?
    Why have the exact same New Testament (all 27 books) , Trinity, celebration of Christmas etc. etc.

...because that is their belief.
    and then moan over Rosary beeds?

...just as you have admitted that catholics would 'moan' if the situation were reversed.
    Why gives the right for non-members to speak for members?

What exactly are you referring to here?
    However I think the other way is more non-sensical because the Protestant Churches are all derivatives from the RC Church.

You don't seem to accept that protestants can have their own customs/beliefs. Obviously there will be similarities as both are christian denominations. I'm sure you know that protestantism originated as a 'breakaway' reformed church - protesting about various aspects of catholicism? Of course you do. It is simplistic to say protestantism is merely derivative - of course they maintained many core aspects, customs and beliefs from the established church but they are a religion (one of the largest in the world) in their own right.

Are Austrians merely derivative of Germans? They used to be part of the same country.

Please tell me you are not trying to say that Catholicism is the one and only true christian religion and that all others are inferior and mere facsimiles, changing certain aspects 'just to be different' ?

Because to be honest, that's what it sounds like.

...and both are forms of christianity - does it matter which came first?
    It's not just that one came first, it's that one was a derivative from the other. Protestant Church did nto just spring up independently.
    You don't seem to accept that protestants can have their own customs/beliefs.
    Of course they can. I just find it slightly amusing they way they try to argue they are truer Christians then the group they got the idea from.
    Please tell me you are not trying to say that Catholicism is the one and only true christian religion and that all others are inferior and mere facsimiles, changing certain aspects 'just to be different' ?
    Because to be honest, that's what it sounds like.
    I don't believe any of them so its certainly not for me to say which is true and which isn't.

I just find bizarre the way some Protestants have so much faith in some aspects which they effectively got from the Roman Catholic church e.g. New Testament but find other parts incredulous e.g. Rosary beeds.

Let's just say the scripture is wrong but the Rosary beeds is right. What then? How are they so sure the Canon is right but the rosary beeds are wrong? Do they have more evidence then the RC Church or something?

What happens if the RC made little edits to the Canonical Gospels, how would Protestant Churches even know if there are no full original copies of any of the Gospels?

Nobody even knows who, when or why Canon was even decided. So how is it the Protestant Churches co-incidently have the exact same Canon as the Roman Catholic Church for the New Testament? Remember Canon is only a sub selection of scripture. There are other Gospels, the Gnostic for example. So why do they take the exact same sub-selection? Why did they have so much faith the sub-selection was correct when nobody knows exactly the process the decided the sub-selection in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The Rosary and the beads associated with it have no place within Protestantism and ought not to be found, for sale or otherwise, in a Protestant church. I further suggested that the space currently occupied by such emblems of Romanism would be better used, for example, to stock for example, a range of evangelical Christian literature.

Anglican rosary is practised among members of the High Church.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Rosary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

I just find bizarre the way some Protestants have so much faith in some aspects which they effectively got from the Roman Catholic church e.g. New Testament but find other parts incredulous e.g. Rosary beeds.

Let's just say the scripture is wrong but the Rosary beeds is right. What then? How are they so sure the Canon is right but the rosary beeds are wrong? Do they have more evidence then the RC Church or something?

What happens if the RC made little edits to the Canonical Gospels, how would Protestant Churches even know if there are no full original copies of any of the Gospels?

Nobody even knows who, when or why Canon was even decided. So how is it the Protestant Churches co-incidently have the exact same Canon as the Roman Catholic Church for the New Testament? Remember Canon is only a sub selection of scripture. There are other Gospels, the Gnostic for example. So why do they take the exact same sub-selection? Why did they have so much faith the sub-selection was correct when nobody knows exactly the process the decided the sub-selection in the first place?

Ok Tim careful here. The history of the canon has been discussed quite a bit. The Gnostic gospels have been fully discredited many times, please don't bring it up again as I just may term it Atheistic fundamentalism.

Both RC and Protestant denominations hold the Bible as being a divinely inspired book. Rc church puts as much emphasis on tradition of the church and the writings of certain church fathers; ie, Augustine, Polycarp, John Chrysostem, etc.

The protestant denominations do not put credence on the traditions and writings, unless they reconcile with Biblical truths.

Those are the similarities and differences.

I just find it slightly amusing they way they try to argue they are truer Christians then the group they got the idea from.

When do 'they' do that? and who is 'they' - all protestants? If your opinions are formed merely by intolerance and generalisation then there's not much point in this.

As for the rest of your post, I am agnostic so I'm not here to argue about why someone believes something and someone else believes something else - it's up to them. All I'm defending is someone's right to believe. For some reason you seem to have more difficulty accepting one belief than the other - despite professing to believe neither. You have conveniently ignored some of the more supernatural aspects of catholicism that protestantism has rejected in favour of more practical elements and in general, have dodged questions throughout.

In fact, I'm not even sure why you posted originally - what did you regard as noteworthy? The 'complaint' by the EPS? or the fact that the Dean dismissed the complaint? or the fact that the two sides disagreed? Or something else?

Or is the whole thing just a troll :rolleyes:

Both RC and Protestant denominations hold the Bible as being a divinely inspired book. Rc church puts as much emphasis on tradition of the church and the writings of certain church fathers; ie, Augustine, Polycarp, John Chrysostem, etc.

The protestant denominations do not put credence on the traditions and writings, unless they reconcile with Biblical truths.

Those are the similarities and differences.
    I accept that Brian. But what I am questioning is the reasoning why is one part ok and another one part not ok?

Suppose another Church derived itself from your Church and decided that Gospels were not true but Corinthians was. I am sure you would wonder why they thought one part was true and the other not.

No atheist fundamentalism intended. I am actually doing my best not to bring atheism into it.

All I'm defending is someone's right to believe.
    All I am doing is questioning why does one person belief one thing, while another believs another?
    I am interesting in the pyschology of it.
    You have conveniently ignored some of the more supernatural aspects of catholicism that protestantism has rejected in favour of more practical elements and in general, have dodged questions throughout.
    Well apologies. Perhpas state the question cleary and I will try to answer it.
    In fact, I'm not even sure why you posted originally - what did you regard as noteworthy? The 'complaint' by the EPS? or the fact that the Dean dismissed the complaint? or the fact that the two sides disagreed? Or something else?
    I am interested in why one Protestant thinks one part of RC is ok while the other does not? In fact why do any of them think parts of absolutly correct while other parts are absolutely incorrect. It raises the hole questions of beliefs, how they are established in the first place.

I am interested in why one Protestant thinks one part of RC is ok while the other does not?

Confirms my suspicions. It is because...believe it or not...not all protestants are the same or have the same beliefs!!!! Astonishing eh?

Maybe you would like to answer the following then:
    Are Austrians merely derivative of Germans? They used to be part of the same country.
    Are you saying that protestants with their attendant customs/beliefs that are not shared by Roman Catholics do not have a right to exist or something?

"Why gives the right for non-members to speak for members?"
    What exactly are you referring to here?
    When do 'they' do that? and who is 'they' - all protestants?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Tim Robbins said:
    I am interested in why one Protestant thinks one part of RC is ok while the other does not? It raises the hole questions of beliefs, how they are established in the first place.
    Protestantism in no sense looks back to the Roman Catholic Church as its mother. Most of the Protestant denominations originated in men who left Rome, but they saw themselves as carrying on the apostolic faith and Rome as having apostasised from it.

Hmm, a bit like if Tony Benn had left the Labour Party when Tony Blair took over and formed another party claiming to be the real socialists. One could point to the money, power, administration, etc. as proof that Blair's is the authentic Labour Party. Other's would point to the policies and practices as proof Benn's is the authentic one.

If you care to lift a Bible and compare it with, say, the Baptist Confession of Faith and an RC equivalent, you may see what I mean.

"Are Austrians merely derivative of Germans? They used to be part of the same country."QUOTE]
    Correct, but before that they were part of a separate empire, monarchy etc.
    Are you saying that protestants with their attendant customs/beliefs that are not shared by Roman Catholics do not have a right to exist or something?
    Of course they have a right to exist, but surely we can be curious and inquistive about any differing view.
    "Why gives the right for non-members to speak for members?"
    This is a generic maxim.If I am member of a G.A.A. club, you of course have the right to question me, but do you have the right to speak for me? The EPS does not have the right to speak for the Anglican but of course he has a right to question him.

• Advertisement

wolfsbane wrote: »
    If you care to lift a Bible and compare it with, say, the Baptist Confession of Faith and an RC equivalent, you may see what I mean.
    Name one book that is part of Protestant Bible's New Testament that is not part of the Roman Catholic's?
    They are the same. Do you know what the statistical probability of that is?

I accept that Brian. But what I am questioning is the reasoning why is one part ok and another one part not ok?.

It depends on the part. The Bible is the authority. if some act or doctrine contradicts the Bible, then you have to punt it.
    Suppose another Church derived itself from your Church and decided that Gospels were not true but Corinthians was. I am sure you would wonder why they thought one part was true and the other not. .

I would not consider them Christian. One of the tenets of being a Christian is accepting the authority of the Bible, which includes the gospels. If being a Christian means following the teachings of Christ, and those teachings are in the gospels, then you have to have them.
    No atheist fundamentalism intended. I am actually doing my best not to bring atheism into it.

Thanks, I didn't think so. :)

I would not consider them Christian. One of the tenets of being a Christian is accepting the authority of the Bible, which includes the gospels. If being a Christian means following the teachings of Christ, and those teachings are in the gospels, then you have to have them.
    Suppose there never was a RC Church, people remained pagans. Where would any Protestant or Reformed Church got the Bible from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

For more on this, listen to the discussion on today's Liveline.

The Dean of the Church stated that the shop contributes 80% to the expensive upkeep of the Cathedral and that they don't receive any state funding.

Joe Duffy said to the person complaining today that the shop also sold jigsaws, and where exactly in the Bible did it say that jigsaws were forbidden?

The COI people who rang in to defend the Dean acquitted themselves really well and showed that religious tolerance in the ROI is light years ahead as opposed to the attitude of the original complainer from NI.

The COI people who rang in to defend the Dean acquitted themselves really well and showed that religious tolerance in the ROI is light years ahead as opposed to the attitude of the original complainer from NI.
    Doesn't surprise me. Any COI person I have ever met here always seems relaxed, liberal, tolerant.

Suppose there never was a RC Church, people remained pagans. Where would any Protestant or Reformed Church got the Bible from?

The Bible was copied by monks. Mostly in Ireland in the Dark Ages.

When the monks went out into Europe in the 8the century they actually clashed with the RC church.

So the RC church was not th eonly keeper of the sacred documents. Not to mention the role of the Eastern orthodox church.

Of course they have a right to exist, but surely we can be curious and inquistive about any differing view.

Indeed we can be. Exploring differing theologies through debate and questioning is one of the most interesting things man can do.

This woman however was incorrect to say that rosaries should not be sold in an Anglican Church. They are there for the purpose of the Anglican Rosary.

As for the books of the Bible discussed by Wolfsbane the official doctrine of the Anglican Church on the Deuterocanonical books is as follows:
    6. Of the Sufficiency of the Holy Scriptures for Salvation.
    Holy Scripture containeth all things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be
    proved thereby, is not to be required of any man, that it should be believed as an article of the Faith, or be
    thought requisite or necessary to salvation. In the name of the Holy Scripture we do understand those
    canonical Books of the Old and New Testament, of whose authority was never any doubt in the Church.
    Of the Names and Number of the Canonical Books.
    Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, The First Book of Samuel, The Second Book of Samuel, The First Book of Kings, The Second Book of Kings, The First Book of Chronicles, The Second Book of Chronicles, The First Book of Esdras, The Second Book of Esdras, The Book of Esther, The Book of Job, The Psalms, The Proverbs, Ecclesiastes or Preacher, Cantica or Songs of Solomon, Four Prophets the greater & Twelve Prophets the less.
    And the other Books (as Hierome saith) the Church doth read for example of life and instruction of manners;
    but yet doth it not apply them to establish any doctrine; such are these following:
    The Third Book of Esdras, The Fourth Book of Esdras, The Book of Tobias, The Book of Judith, The rest of the Book of Esther, The Book of Wisdom, Jesus the Son of Sirach, Baruch the Prophet, The Song of the Three Children, The Story of Susanna, Of Bel and the Dragon, The Prayer of Manasses, The First Book of Maccabees & The Second Book of Maccabees
    All the Books of the New Testament, as they are commonly received, we do receive, and account them
    Canonical.

Name one book that is part of Protestant Bible's New Testament that is not part of the Roman Catholic's?
    They are the same. Do you know what the statistical probability of that is?
    About 100%, if they both took them from the same source. I dare say the same applies to secular literature.

Jakkass said:
    As for the books of the Bible discussed by Wolfsbane the official doctrine of the Anglican Church on the Deuterocanonical books is as follows:
    Yes, it gives the crucial difference between the Canonical and Deuterocanonical:
    Holy Scripture containeth all things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be
    proved thereby, is not to be required of any man, that it should be believed as an article of the Faith, or be
    thought requisite or necessary to salvation.

and

the other Books (as Hierome saith) the Church doth read for example of life and instruction of manners;
    but yet doth it not apply them to establish any doctrine

• Advertisement

Doesn't surprise me. Any COI person I have ever met here always seems relaxed, liberal, tolerant.

I wouldn't say we are all liberal. I'm personally willing to enter into discussions on ecumenism etc, brilliant service took place in my own church this week actually between the Methodists, Catholics, Presbyterians and ourselves, was very encouraging. It's a good thing to think about on Christian Unity Week really.

I don't think we should compromise our doctrine, but at the same time I don't think we should rule out discussion with other groups of people in a respectful manner to look at the logic behind other doctrines and theologies even outside the Christian faith.

Advertisement