Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Tradition...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Jakkass wrote: »
    How can it be in the Church teachings if the Roman Catholic Church forbade anyone from actually reading it in the first place basically. Nobody outside the priestly class had a Bible at the time.
    Was reading the bible actually forbidden or was translation into the vernacular forbidden? Or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Well the Bible wasn't ever published, therefore access was limited. It wasn't meant to be outside of the priests hands. You should watch the link I gave to the documentary in my first post.

Well the Bible wasn't ever published, therefore access was limited. It wasn't meant to be outside of the priests hands. You should watch the link I gave to the documentary in my first post.

OK, I will. You might find this link of interest.

http://www.catholicculture.org/library/view.cfm?recnum=4749

Regards,
    Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

kelly1 wrote: »
    Why is tradition necessarily wrong? Sacred tradition has existed from the very beginning of the Church. Confession, ordination, confirmation, belief in the real presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament have all existed since the beginning. So I'm asking you how this is wrong!

I’m not Catholic anymore. My faith is based on the Word of God not Catholic Tradition. Show me chapter and verse where it states that I must get my infant kids baptised? Where I must confess my sins to a priest? Where I have to be ordained in order to be a Christian? I already explained that the bread and wine are not the actual flesh and blood of Christ just like they weren’t when they first partook of it in John Mark’s mother’s HOME. They are symbolic of the body and blood of Jesus. I’ll explain more when I get to where you quoted Paul to the Corinthians further on down.
    Do you have any evidence to show that it was common practice for lay, non-ordained people to take the place of the priest during the consecration in which is said "This is My Body" etc??

For years they took these elements in homes. Remembering what Christ did for them. Did they have cathedrals and church buildings in New Testament Jerusalem? It was first practiced in the home. Common sense alone will tell you that.
    What a load of non-sense, you've been reading too many anti-catholic diatribe. Mass comes from the latin word missa, which means dismissal/sending out.

No I haven’t. “The Divine Liturgy or Mass is of course the chief rite among the Armenians, whether Catholic or Gregorian, and it is celebrated with a form and ceremonial which partakes in a measure both of the Roman and Byzantine rites. As we have said, the curtains are used instead of the altar-rail or iconostasis of those rites, and the vestments are also peculiar. The Armenians, like the Latins, use unleavened bread, in the form of a wafer or small thin round cake, for consecration; but like the Greeks they prepare many wafers, and those not used for consecration in the Mass are given afterwards to the people as the antidoron.” Taken from The New Advent Catholic Encyclopaedia relateing to Armenian Catholics. “When the time for making bread was short the leaven was omitted, and unleavened cakes were baked, as is customary among the Arabs (Gen 18:6; 19:3; Ex 12:39; 1 Sam 28:24). Such cakes were called in Heb. massa, "sweetness." Thin, round cakes made of unleavened dough were baked on heated sand or flat stones (1 Kings 19:6), by hot ashes or coals put on them-"ash-cakes." Such cakes are still the common bread of the Bedouin and poorer orientals.” Taken from Intercontinental Church of God website.

No, I wasn't brought up to believe this and didn't believe it until 5 years ago.

Ok I was so I was wrong on that one
    Why do these have to be in scripture?

“Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”. Matt 4:4

There are loads of example in acts of the imposition of hands which is the sacrament of holy orders. What do you thing the imposition of hands is about?

The laying on of hands is fine. This does not contradict scripture. It was indeed practiced in the New Testament but God is not limited to the laying on of hands. He had to go outside the original apostles and get Paul by Himself. Who laid hands on Paul in ordination?
    So again I ask you, is this tradition from the earliest days of the Church wrong? Was the Church wrong for 1500 years?

The fact that we are having this argument is proof enough that traditions just get in the way of God’s Word. Doing something for a long time does not make it the right thing to do. Since when is “long time” the criteria for something to be right? If it starts out wrong then won’t it be always wrong? These traditions are great if you want to do them, but don’t tell people they have to do them in order to be saved. That is wrong.
    If the Eucharist is only symbolic, how can it be eaten and drunk unworthily? And how can a symbol bring judgement upon someone??

Excellent question. In the verse you quoted I Cor 11:26 Paul is admonishing the Corinthian Church (the Church he had the most problems with btw) to partake of the elements “worthily”. The word “worthily” is an adverb and adverbs modify verbs and verbs are action words, they have nothing to do with the actor partaking, and the action in this case is partaking of the elements. And Paul defines what partaking unworthily is later in the same chapter as not discerning the Lord’s body. When the Corinthians Church got together for what was called the “Agape” or “Love Feast” they would get drunk and show off their wealth and then tag on to this practice the table of the Lord. By the time they got around to partaking of the table of the Lord they were not able to discern what they were doing and as a result some of them were weak and sick and some even died. Paul warned them to partake worthily by discerning what Jesus had done for them and not to focus on their own worthiness to partake. When you are partaking of these elements (bread and wine) and you take your focus off Jesus and what He has done for you and put your focus on anything else including yourself then you are partaking unworthily, when your focus is on Him and Him alone only then are you partaking worthily. The Catholic Church for centuries has thought (and still does to this day) that you must be worthy in order to partake of these elements. WRONG!!! This is putting the focus on the partaker not the partaking. None of us are worthy to partake. We are “made” worthy by the blood of the Lamb and when we discern this whilst we are partaking only then are we partaking worthily. These elements are symbolic of His body and blood they are not the actual flesh and blood, sorry that is wrong, always was and will be.
    Please explain to me then why Jesus gave the apostles the authority to forgive sins if He only meant for us to confess directly to God. And again you're ignoring the tradition of confession.

Where is the chapter and verse that states Jesus gave the apostles authority to forgive sins? They haven’t got the authority to forgive sins only in His name. Forgiveness of sins is through Jesus Christ alone and Jesus sent them out to preach this, He never gave them authority to forgive sins in any other name including their own.
    Yes, it is tradition and scriptural. The first three are all mentioned in scripture as in the imposition or laying of hands. The primacy of Peter is not explicit in scripture but it is clear that Peter is the first among the apostles.

We hear all too often of Jesus’ praise of Peter’s statement of faith. But not too long after Jesus’ praise of Peter’s statement of faith Jesus called him Satan because he savoured not the things of God but the things of men. Peter had rebuked Jesus when He (Jesus) spoke of His impending death saying (Peter speaking) “be this far from thee, he just didn’t understand at that point in his faith that it was necessary for Him (Jesus) to die, otherwise there is no provision for salvation. Jesus loved him though and great picture of the grace of God is seen when Jesus told the women who reported the resurrection to tell His disciples and Peter that he was going ahead of them to Galilee. Peter was included specifically because he was really hard on himself over his failings. But even after that he was still a hard head. And even after the spirit fell on him he still needed to be shown visions that he was not to call unclean what God had cleansed, this was in reference to God sending Peter to preach to a gentile. He was still caught up in traditions that make void the Word of God and jut didn’t understand God’s cleansing work in Christ as it pertained to non Jews. No wonder God went outside the original Apostles and called and sent Paul to the non Jews.
    The bible makes it clear in 1 Tim 3:15 that the Church, not scripture, is the pillar and foundation of the truth.

There are two words in the New Testament that are translated “Church”. One is when Jesus says “I will build my Church and he gates of hell will not prevail against it.” The word Church here in is “Ecclesia” ec = out le = called sia = ones. “I will build my “out called ones” and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” Most Latin languages (Spanish, Italian etc) still use this word to translate what we in the English call Church. The other word translated “Church” in the New Testament is “Kiriacone” (written phonetically) which means simply “The Lord’s”; it comes from the Greek word “Kirios” which means “Lord”. The Church is only the pillar and foundation of truth when it is proclaiming the truth and Jesus was the truth. He said to Pilate for instance that He (Jesus) was the truth. The New Testament Church or out called ones belonging to the Lord preached Jesus Christ crucified, buried and risen and ascended and faithful and just to forgive us our sins. All you need to so is ask Him, confess your sins to Him not to a preist. Jesus Himself said to pray in private to your Father in Heaven. He never mentioned that you need a priest.
    It is also clear from John 14:26, John 10:16 and Matthew 18:17 that God wants us to obey Church teachings.

You must be reading form a different Bible than me because I can see nothing whatsoever in any of thee verses that specifically states that we should obey Church teachings. I do believe what Paul says that we should obey those who have rule over us because they watch for our souls. But the Pope doesn’t watch for my soul. Only those who teach the truth about Christ watch for souls. I belong to a Church and I follow the leaders thereof as they follow Christ and I do obey those there that have rule over me for they do watch for my soul.
    What you've shown me if how vehemently opposed you are to the Church founded by your Saviour. All of the comments you've made are not at all based on fact but rather on nasty lies and rumours put out by the enemies of Christ's Church.

Wrong. I am not the enemy of Christ. If you had a spiritual bone in your body you would see clearly from all my post that that is certainly not the case. He gets all the glory on my post no one else. If I were of the devil could I say the things I say about Jesus?

It's clear that you've been reading way too many anti-catholic sites.

Nope, haven’t read one anti Catholic site. I use to be Catholic, was brought up as one. I am not against Catholics per se just the Roman Catholic Church as an institution and any other institution that does not have God’s Word as its basis without the traditions of men that make it void.
    The Catholic Church is the most persecuted Church in the world because the world lives in darkness and can't abide the light.

Oh please you’re gonna have me busting out crying next. The most persecuted Church in the world? Ha ah that is a joke. It is the single richest institution in history. Did you see Pope John Paul II’s funeral Mass? Did you see all the heads of state at that were there? Tell me one other institution that has power like that. There is not one other single institution in the world that could amass such a gathering of dignitaries, even the Greek Orthodox Church was represented. Persecuted my foot. It has caused more persecution of God’s people than any other institution in the history of mankind. It has still to excommunicate Hitler. There has been known devil worship by many in its hierarchy. It has martyred more of God’s people in its ignorance than any dictator the world has ever known.
    You seem to have no idea just how much Satan is working to destroy the Church but he never will and we have Christ's promise for that!

Look like I said this is not an attack on you personally. But you must know that the Church institution you belong to is not infallible. Neither is the Pope. Satan will only attack Churches that are preaching God’s Word. Once he can pollute a church with teaching traditions that make void the Word of God then he will leave it alone. It is not bothering him so why would he waste ammunition on it? Same goes for all Churches that don’t stand on God’s Word alone and give it the Supremacy it deserves. How you can defend traditions over the word of God is beyond me.

OK, I will. You might find this link of interest.

http://www.catholicculture.org/library/view.cfm?recnum=4749

Regards,
    Noel.
    All this law did was prevent any private individual from publishing his own translation of Scripture without the approval of the Church.

The approval of the Church was rather difficult to obtain since they insisted on Latin.

Also when Cranmer suggested that people should discover Jesus for themselves. He was later interrogated by Spanish Reform-Catholics for months, he would make an apology to the Catholic Church only midway he would deny what he was saying. For this he was burnt to the stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

kelly1 said:
    Thanks, Noel.

As you may know, Evangelical Protestantism also holds to the offices of presybter and deacon. We however point out that bishop is the same office as presbyter - elder, overseer, pastor.
    Acts 20:17 From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called for the elders of the church. 18 And when they had come to him, he said to them: “You know, from the first day that I came to Asia, in what manner I always lived among you, 19 serving the Lord with all humility, with many tears and trials which happened to me by the plotting of the Jews; 20 how I kept back nothing that was helpful, but proclaimed it to you, and taught you publicly and from house to house, 21 testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. 22 And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, 23 except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. 24 But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.
    25 “And indeed, now I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, will see my face no more. 26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men. 27 For I have not shunned to declare to you the whole counsel of God. 28 Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

They are NEVER called priests. The word for priest is hiereus, not episkopos/presbyteros.

Note also the plurality of bishops/presbyters/elders/pastors/overseers. The church in Ephesus had several.

But let me focus on the big issue - the idea that the Church has a priesthood (other than that of all the faithful - Revelation 1:6). The priesthood is the foundation on which the Roman Catholic Church stands, the mechanism by which she exerts control over the consciences of men. It claims these priests offer Christ upon their altars and that such offerings actually atone for the sins of Christians.

That is the biggest blasphemy I can imagine. And there is not one verse on the New Testament that supports it. Neither the repeated offerings nor the priesthood itself.

I'll be glad to hear your explanation.

The approval of the Church was rather difficult to obtain since they insisted on Latin.

Also when Cranmer suggested that people should discover Jesus for themselves. He was later interrogated by Spanish Reform-Catholics for months, he would make an apology to the Catholic Church only midway he would deny what he was saying. For this he was burnt to the stake.

Let me also point out that in my childhood Catholics were strongly discouraged from reading even the Catholic versions that were in their native tongue. That was before John XX111 upset the apple-cart.

I remember also my Catholic friends being totally ignorant that the Ten Commandments contained a ban on images - Why? Because their Church altered the Ten Commandments as given in their Missal Book, splitting them so that the ban on images could be ommited and yet still give Ten items. I'm not sure if that still is the case.

I’m not Catholic anymore. My faith is based on the Word of God not Catholic Tradition.
    My faith is based on both and tradition does not contradict scripture.
    Show me chapter and verse where it states that I must get my infant kids baptised? Where I must confess my sins to a priest?
    Scripture doesn't say these things and neither are these contradictory to scripture. But I didn't say one must confess. I don't think it absolutely essential for salvation but it does guarantee forgiveness of all sins and as a sacrament, it confers grace helping the sinner to resist sin.
    Where I have to be ordained in order to be a Christian?
    I didn't say that. Ordination is necessary to become a priest.
    No I haven’t. “The Divine Liturgy or Mass is of course the chief rite among the Armenians, whether Catholic or Gregorian, and it is celebrated with a form and ceremonial which partakes in a measure both of the Roman and Byzantine rites. As we have said, the curtains are used instead of the altar-rail or iconostasis of those rites, and the vestments are also peculiar. The Armenians, like the Latins, use unleavened bread, in the form of a wafer or small thin round cake, for consecration; but like the Greeks they prepare many wafers, and those not used for consecration in the Mass are given afterwards to the people as the antidoron.” Taken from The New Advent Catholic Encyclopaedia relateing to Armenian Catholics. “When the time for making bread was short the leaven was omitted, and unleavened cakes were baked, as is customary among the Arabs (Gen 18:6; 19:3; Ex 12:39; 1 Sam 28:24). Such cakes were called in Heb. massa, "sweetness." Thin, round cakes made of unleavened dough were baked on heated sand or flat stones (1 Kings 19:6), by hot ashes or coals put on them-"ash-cakes." Such cakes are still the common bread of the Bedouin and poorer orientals.” Taken from Intercontinental Church of God website.
    You claimed that the Mass had pagan/sun worship connections. Are you withdrawing this claim?
    “Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”. Matt 4:4

Jesus also said:
    John 6:54 Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say unto you: Except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.
    The laying on of hands is fine. This does not contradict scripture. It was indeed practiced in the New Testament but God is not limited to the laying on of hands. He had to go outside the original apostles and get Paul by Himself. Who laid hands on Paul in ordination?
    See Acts 9:
    17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house. And laying his hands upon him, he said: Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus hath sent me, he that appeared to thee in the way as thou camest; that thou mayest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.
    The fact that we are having this argument is proof enough that traditions just get in the way of God’s Word. Doing something for a long time does not make it the right thing to do. Since when is “long time” the criteria for something to be right? If it starts out wrong then won’t it be always wrong? These traditions are great if you want to do them, but don’t tell people they have to do them in order to be saved. That is wrong.
    Jesus sent the apostles out to teach the truth and the apostles sent their successors out to do the same thing. Now are you telling me that these successors/bishops taught error?
    Where is the chapter and verse that states Jesus gave the apostles authority to forgive sins? They haven’t got the authority to forgive sins only in His name. Forgiveness of sins is through Jesus Christ alone and Jesus sent them out to preach this, He never gave them authority to forgive sins in any other name including their own.
    Jesus gave the apostles the authority to forgive sin in John 20:
    21 He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you. 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost. 23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

The words of absolution are:

God, the Father of mercies,
    through the death and the resurrection of his Son
    has reconciled the world to himself
    and sent the Holy Spirit among us
    for the forgiveness of sins;
    through the ministry of the Church
    may God give you pardon and peace,
    and I absolve you from your sins
    in the name of the
    Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

the Church is only the pillar and foundation of truth when it is proclaiming the truth and Jesus was the truth.
    Do you not accept that Jesus gave the apostles the authority to teach the truth is His name?
    Matthew 28:18 And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. 19 Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son,
    and of the Holy Ghost.
    You must be reading form a different Bible than me because I can see nothing whatsoever in any of thee verses that specifically states that we should obey Church teachings.
    Really? Ok, here's John 10:16
    John 10:16 He that heareth you [apostles/Church], heareth me; and he that despiseth you, despiseth me; and he that despiseth me, despiseth him that sent me.
    Doesn't this tell you that Jesus wants us to obey Church teachings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Hello again Jimi, long time no word!

Indeed. Lucky you:)
    Don't think for a moment that I condone the sins of the Church. That's not what I'm at.

But if they are the representatives of God, then with each sin they bring reproach on God. It means God has given them an impossible task. There is no organistation on earth that can be what the church claims to be. All fall short. Just one corruption, one falsehood, and the whole thing falls. I think you brush over their history and say 'well no-ones perfect'. But the claims this church makes about itself mean that its failings cannot be ignored.

I'm asking a perfectly valid question. i.e. Why do people reject the traditions of the Church which I've outlined and which are clearly recorded in the documents of the Church Fathers for all to see. Were the Church Fathers in error? Did Ambrose, Augustine, Ignatius, Irenaeus, Jerome, John Chrsyostom, Justin, Origen, Polycarp, Tertullian and the rest make it up?

To me, the people you mention are just men. They may give insight into some history etc, but they are quite capable of being wrong, and also capable of leaning towards false doctrines for whatever reason. I have nothing against tradition, until I see it conflict with Christs teachings. Paul told us about whole congregations being corrupted by false doctrine back in his day, so how do you know these congregations didn't gain influence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Young Catholic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Could you give me examples please? Could I ask you also, do you place any importance on the writings of the early Church Fathers?
    There are plenty of examples of pre-Reformation doctrinal stances that were violently suppressed.

The Montanists practiced ecstatic prophecy (similar to modern Pentecostalism) and also opposed the Roman practice of admitting apostates and collaborators (with Roman persecutors) back into Church membership. They were condemned as heretics, although one notable Church father, Tertullian, joined the Montanists. They lingered on until the 7th Century despite persecution.

The Nestorians rejected the idea of Mary being the Mother of God (asserting that she was only mother of Christ's human nature). They were condemned by the Council of Ephesus in 431 AD. They were hounded out of Europe and became quite influential in China. One of Genghis Khan's wife was as Nestorian.

The Bogomils arose in the 10th Century in Bulgaria and rejected the Roman priesthood and Catholic sacraments. They were hunted down and wiped out by the 13th Century.

The Cathars, or Albigensians, flourished in the 12th and 13th Century in the Languedoc region of France. They claimed an Apostolic succession to the early founders of Christianity and saw Rome as having betrayed and corrupted the original purity of the message, particularly since Pope Sylvester accepted the Donation of Constantine. They were annihilated in a particularly bloody Crusade.

The Lollards, following the teachings of John Wycliffe, grew rapidly in England from the late 1300s onward. They rejected Roman Catholicism as corrupt and called for a return to 'Sola Scriptura'. They were persecuted and executed with monotonous regularity.

Jan Hus was a Bohemian who taught that the true Church was an invisible body composed of all true believers in Christ, not the visible entity with headquarters in Rome. His teachings were condemned by a Papal bull. Huss was invited to a debate by Catholic leaders and promised safe conduct. However, when he turned up for the date he was arrested, tried and pronounced a heretic, and executed in 1415 (over a century before Luther). In 1999, Pope John Paul II expressed "deep regret for the cruel death inflicted" on Hus.

These are only a few that spring to mind immediately. Any good Church history book will yield plenty of other examples.
    do you place any importance on the writings of the early Church Fathers?
    I think they are important historical records of what certain people believed in the early centuries of Christianity. However, as the products of fallible and sinful men, I see them as having no more authority than the writings of any other preachers throughout history.

JimiTime wrote: »
    But if they are the representatives of God, then with each sin they bring reproach on God. It means God has given them an impossible task. There is no organistation on earth that can be what the church claims to be. All fall short. Just one corruption, one falsehood, and the whole thing falls. I think you brush over their history and say 'well no-ones perfect'. But the claims this church makes about itself mean that its failings cannot be ignored.
    Jimi, the important thing is that Christ can still operate through a priest even if he is in a state of mortal sin. When the priest is saying the words of the consecration at the Mass or absolving someone of their sins, it is Christ who is performing the transubstantiation or forgiving the sins, not the priest. The priest acts "in persona Christi".

PDN wrote: »
    There are plenty of examples of pre-Reformation doctrinal stances that were violently suppressed.

The Montanists practiced ecstatic prophecy (similar to modern Pentecostalism) and also opposed the Roman practice of admitting apostates and collaborators (with Roman persecutors) back into Church membership. They were condemned as heretics, although one notable Church father, Tertullian, joined the Montanists. They lingered on until the 7th Century despite persecution.

The Nestorians rejected the idea of Mary being the Mother of God (asserting that she was only mother of Christ's human nature). They were condemned by the Council of Ephesus in 431 AD. They were hounded out of Europe and became quite influential in China. One of Genghis Khan's wife was as Nestorian.

The Bogomils arose in the 10th Century in Bulgaria and rejected the Roman priesthood and Catholic sacraments. They were hunted down and wiped out by the 13th Century.

The Cathars, or Albigensians, flourished in the 12th and 13th Century in the Languedoc region of France. They claimed an Apostolic succession to the early founders of Christianity and saw Rome as having betrayed and corrupted the original purity of the message, particularly since Pope Sylvester accepted the Donation of Constantine. They were annihilated in a particularly bloody Crusade.

The Lollards, following the teachings of John Wycliffe, grew rapidly in England from the late 1300s onward. They rejected Roman Catholicism as corrupt and called for a return to 'Sola Scriptura'. They were persecuted and executed with monotonous regularity.

Jan Hus was a Bohemian who taught that the true Church was an invisible body composed of all true believers in Christ, not the visible entity with headquarters in Rome. His teachings were condemned by a Papal bull. Huss was invited to a debate by Catholic leaders and promised safe conduct. However, when he turned up for the date he was arrested, tried and pronounced a heretic, and executed in 1415 (over a century before Luther). In 1999, Pope John Paul II expressed "deep regret for the cruel death inflicted" on Hus.

These are only a few that spring to mind immediately. Any good Church history book will yield plenty of other examples.
    Sorry, I thought you were referring to conflicting doctrines within the Church.
    I think they [writings of the ECF's] are important historical records of what certain people believed in the early centuries of Christianity. However, as the products of fallible and sinful men, I see them as having no more authority than the writings of any other preachers throughout history.
    Presumably you believe that the apostles had the authority to write the New Testament. Do you believe that the apostles passed on their office to successors? i.e. the ordination of bishops? Do you think their authority died with them?

Why do you think that the bible is the sole authority on truth given that the apostles wrote the bible? How are you so sure that there were no traditions besides those written in the New Testament?

To me it's very clear that tradition, especially the sacraments, were part of the Church from the beginning and that there were traditions outside of scripture.

God bless,
    Noel.

My faith is based on both and tradition does not contradict scripture.

Tradition doesn’t contradict scripture?

Scripture says: If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness 1 John 1:9. But Catholic tradition says we must confess our sins to a Catholic priest or else they are not truly forgiven.

Scripture says: “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” 1 Tom 2:5. But Catholic Tradition says that there is also Mary and the Saints.

Scripture says referring to the table of the Lord: “If you partake unworthily (i.e. not discerning the Lord’s body) then you eat and drink damnation to yourself.” 1 Cor 11.26. But Catholic Tradition says that we must be worthy to partake of the host????

Being worthy to partake and partaking worthily are two very different things. We partake worthy when we recognise that we are not worthy and that we are made worthy by the blood of the Lamb. If we were worthy then we would have no need to partake of these elements.

Scripture says: “Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body (substance) is of Christ” Col 2:16-17. Paul was talking about legitimate Jewish feast days that were supposed to be observed under the law, but now that Christ (the substance which cast these shadow) has come there is no need to observe these days because they have been fulfilled in Christ. Imagine what Paul would say today about lesser pagan rituals being engrafted onto Church teachings after Christ has come that we are told we must observe? But Catholic tradition says that we must observe certain days like Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Christmas. These were pagan feasts Christianised and grafted onto Catholic Church teachings. Christ was not born on December 25th yet the Catholic Church teaches that He was. He was not crucified on Good Friday at 3pm and Risen again on Easter Sunday at 6am. That would give us a mere 39 hours in the grave. Scripture tells us that he was 3 days and 3 nights in the grave before He was raised that’s 72 hours? Plus He didn’t rise at sunrise in the morning, He rose at sundown in the evening. Jewish days start at sundown 6pm. He was crucified on the feast of Passover which fulfilled that feast day (set time) and was in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights which fulfilled the feast of Unleavened Bread. In the OT this bread was hidden for 3 days and 3 nights after Passover. He came out of the tomb on the First Day of the next week fulfilling the feast of First Fruits (first born of many brethren) which was a feast within a feast (second half of the unleavened bread week were it was unhidden). Fifty days after First Fruits the Spirit descended on the Apostles which fulfilled the Feast of Pentecost (which means Harvest, the harvest of the Church started on this day). There are 3 more feasts to be fulfilled. Trumpets, Atonement and Tabernacles. On the feast of the Trumpets 2 silver trumpets were to be blown all day long. One of these trumpets has been fulfilled. Christ was born on the feast of the Trumpets which is in September. You can prove from scripture that Jesus was born in September. We know from scripture that John the Baptist was born in the Spring time and that six months later Jesus was born, that does not put you in December rather sometime in Autumn. The second Trumpet has yet to be fulfilled. This is what we call the Rapture of the Church. I can go into these remaining feasts in more detail if you like but I think I’ve made my point about contradictions between Catholic traditions and scripture.

Scripture doesn't say these things and neither are these contradictory to scripture. But I didn't say one must confess. I don't think it absolutely essential for salvation but it does guarantee forgiveness of all sins and as a sacrament, it confers grace helping the sinner to resist sin.

The acts of the sinful nature (so called sins) are but the result of an inherent condition Paul calls “Harmatia” literally to “fall short of the mark of the Law” and an inch is a good as a mile. The only thing powerful enough to deliver you from the law of sin in your nature is the Holy Spirit. Confessing your sins will bring God’s forgiveness but it is the fact that you are acting on God’s Word that puts His Spirit in you. This is supposed to be a daily activity, not a once off altar call-once saved always saved-never move another muscle of faith for the rest of your life activity. Without God’s Grace already given to us in Christ while we were yet sinners then access would have been impossible. It is by Grace that we are saved through faith.
    I didn't say that. Ordination is necessary to become a priest.

Yes a catholic priest. But I’m talking about everyday ordinary individuals who need Christ in their lives where they live it but are denied it because they don’t adhere to Church teachings first, which as I have pointed out in several earlier posts including this one is totally wrong and against God. People need to hear the “Good News” of Christ not the “Bad News” of Church Teachings. “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Romans 10:17
    You claimed that the Mass had pagan/sun worship connections. Are you withdrawing this claim?

Absolutely not.
    Jesus sent the apostles out to teach the truth and the apostles sent their successors out to do the same thing. Now are you telling me that these successors/bishops taught error?

Yes. Its called ‘add-on’.
    Do you not accept that Jesus gave the apostles the authority to teach the truth is His name?

I do accept that Jesus gave the apostles the authority to teach the truth is His name.

Really? Ok, here's John 10:16

Doesn't this tell you that Jesus wants us to obey Church teachings?

Does it specifically mention the Catholic Church in that verse?

Sorry, I thought you were referring to conflicting doctrines within the Church.

They were in 'the Church' in the biblical sense of the Church as all members of the Body of Christ. They were, however, excluded from a man-made organisation that claimed (and still does claim) to be the sole representation of Christ's Body on earth.
    Presumably you believe that the apostles had the authority to write the New Testament. Do you believe that the apostles passed on their office to successors? i.e. the ordination of bishops? Do you think their authority died with them?

Why do you think that the bible is the sole authority on truth given that the apostles wrote the bible? How are you so sure that there were no traditions besides those written in the New Testament?

No, I don't believe that the apostles passed their authority on to others. I believe that such authority was, and still is, conferred by God independently of the actions of men. Peter's authority died with him. John's authority died with him. John Wesley's authority died with him. Every Christian has a measure of authority that is given by God, not the Church, and that authority dies with each of us.

I find the concept of the apostolic succession of authority farcical, given that many of the men in that chain of authority were obviously lacking in any spiritual authority at all. Can't you see that many of the links in your chain of authority(including some Popes) were murderers, heretics, adulterers etc? That is a matter of historical record.

The authority of the Bible does not rest on the fact that it was written by apostles. It rests on the fact that they were inspired by God. There were books of the New Testament that were not written by apostles (eg Jude) and the apostles were not infallible (Galatians records that Peter engages in some decidedly unapostolic compromising). Not everything that the apostles wrote would have been inspired by God (eg if we found a shopping list written by Peter then it would carry no authority for us today).

Of course there were other traditions other than those written in Scripture. Some of those traditions would have been good and some would have been destructive, as is true of all the products of human reasoning, even when apostles are involved.

Scripture says: If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness 1 John 1:9. But Catholic tradition says we must confess our sins to a Catholic priest or else they are not truly forgiven.
    How do you know that "confess" means confession to a lay person or to God? Tradition show that confess mean confession to a priest.
    Scripture says: “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.” 1 Tom 2:5. But Catholic Tradition says that there is also Mary and the Saints.
    Scripture is true. What's wrong with asking Mary or the saints to Pray to Christ on our behalf?
    Scripture says referring to the table of the Lord: “If you partake unworthily (i.e. not discerning the Lord’s body) then you eat and drink damnation to yourself.” 1 Cor 11.26. But Catholic Tradition says that we must be worthy to partake of the host????

Being worthy to partake and partaking worthily are two very different things. We partake worthy when we recognise that we are not worthy and that we are made worthy by the blood of the Lamb. If we were worthy then we would have no need to partake of these elements.
    According to the Church, being worthy in this case means being in a state of grace.
    Scripture says: “Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body (substance) is of Christ” Col 2:16-17. Paul was talking about legitimate Jewish feast days that were supposed to be observed under the law, but now that Christ (the substance which cast these shadow) has come there is no need to observe these days because they have been fulfilled in Christ.
    This verse supports the change from observing the sabbath (Saturday) to Sunday. See also:

Acts 20:7 And on the first day of the week, when we were assembled to break bread (The first day of the week is Sunday)

1 Cor 16:2 On the first day of the week let every one of you put apart with himself, laying up what it shall well please him; that when I come, the collections be not then to be made.

http://www.catholic.com/library/Sabbath_or_Sunday.asp
    The acts of the sinful nature (so called sins) are but the result of an inherent condition Paul calls “Harmatia” literally to “fall short of the mark of the Law” and an inch is a good as a mile. The only thing powerful enough to deliver you from the law of sin in your nature is the Holy Spirit. Confessing your sins will bring God’s forgiveness but it is the fact that you are acting on God’s Word that puts His Spirit in you. This is supposed to be a daily activity, not a once off altar call-once saved always saved-never move another muscle of faith for the rest of your life activity. Without God’s Grace already given to us in Christ while we were yet sinners then access would have been impossible. It is by Grace that we are saved...
    I agree. Are you claiming this is what the catholic faith is like??
    Yes a catholic priest. But I’m talking about everyday ordinary individuals who need Christ in their lives where they live it but are denied it because they don’t adhere to Church teachings
    :confused: Church teachings keep Christ out of peoples lives? Are you serious??
    first, which as I have pointed out in several earlier posts including this one is totally wrong and against God. People need to hear the “Good News” of Christ not the “Bad News” of Church Teachings.
    :confused: Which bad news are you talking about???

I find it very hard to believe that you came to your conclusions about the Church by yourself. Are you honestly telling me that you haven't been influenced by things you been told or read? Be honest please.

Basically you're tell me me that Christ founded a Church and that His Church fell into error despite Christ assurances that the Church would keep the Church in truth and that the gates of Hell wouldn't prevail and that He would be with His Church to the end of time. You don't appear to have a whole lot of faith in Christ's assurances about the Church!

Sacred tradition, "...same business on the other side of the street..." AW Tozer.

Matt 15:1-9

"Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, "Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!" Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, 'Honor your father and mother' and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death. 'But you say that if a man says to his father or mother, 'Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is a gift devoted to God, 'he is not to 'honor his father' with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: " 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men." (emph added)

No, I don't believe that the apostles passed their authority on to others. I believe that such authority was, and still is, conferred by God independently of the actions of men.
    If Paul received all his authority from Christ, why was he later ordained by Ananias in Acts 9:17?
    I find the concept of the apostolic succession of authority farcical, given that many of the men in that chain of authority were obviously lacking in any spiritual authority at all. Can't you see that many of the links in your chain of authority(including some Popes) were murderers, heretics, adulterers etc? That is a matter of historical record.
    By the same argument, Jesus wouldn't have chosen Peter as an apostle. Remember Peter's denial of Jesus and when He tried to prevent Jesus from being crucified and Jesus said get thee behind me Satan!
    The authority of the Bible does not rest on the fact that it was written by apostles. It rests on the fact that they were inspired by God. There were books of the New Testament that were not written by apostles (eg Jude) and the apostles were not infallible (Galatians records that Peter engages in some decidedly unapostolic compromising). Not everything that the apostles wrote would have been inspired by God (eg if we found a shopping list written by Peter then it would carry no authority for us today).
    I agree.
    Of course there were other traditions other than those written in Scripture. Some of those traditions would have been good and some would have been destructive, as is true of all the products of human reasoning, even when apostles are involved.
    The thing is you and I don't know the full picture of what went on between Jesus and His apostles. The NT is quite short and it can't possibly deal with every matter that the Church teaches or its traditions. You cannot definitively say that confession to a priest is invalid or that the Eucharist is only symbolic. Scripture is not very explicit a lot of the time.

How do you actually know that the apostles didn't transfer authority to successors? You don't and it's only an assumption that they didn't.
    What do you think the laying on of hands in Acts and elsewhere is about?

The apostles had charisms that their successors didn't such as healing, bringing people back to life and individual infallibility. But they still transferred the the authority to minister the sacraments.

What's your view on the writings of the Early Church Fathers? Were they preaching error in your opinion? I suppose it doesn't mean a whole lot to you if you don't accept the validity of ordination.

God bless,
    Noel.

Matt 15:1-9

"Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, "Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!" Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, 'Honor your father and mother' and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death. 'But you say that if a man says to his father or mother, 'Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is a gift devoted to God, 'he is not to 'honor his father' with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: " 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men." (emph added)
    OK, you've raised this before but it certainly does not mean that all tradition is bad. Traditions such as baptism, the Eucharist, confession etc are all based around doing God's will. It was the will of Jesus that we have a Church and He wants us to obey the authority of the Church. See these verses:

Heb 13:17 Obey your prelates, and be subject to them. For they watch as being to render an account of your souls;

1 Thess 5:12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them who labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you: 13 That you esteem them more abundantly in charity, for their work's sake. Have peace with them.

This is the terrible evil of the Reformation. It caused people to reject the authority of the Church.

How do you know that "confess" means confession to a lay person or to God? Tradition show that confess mean confession to a priest.

Yes tradition shows that but it is clear that the scripture fails to make that distinction and point out that it is to a priest that we must confess our sins. It merely says confess your sins and He is faithful and just to forgive them. When David penned Psalm 51 was it to God or to a Priest? Read it and find out.
    Scripture is true. What's wrong with asking Mary or the saints to Pray to Christ on our behalf?

Nothing wrong with it at all. Work away. I personally have no problem with it. I just know I don’t have to do it based on God’s Word. But what would happen to me if I were a Catholic in the 15th century and held a meeting in my local parish and proclaimed to the Arch Bishop and all in attendance that I don’t believe I need to pray to Mary or the Saints any more? That all I need is Christ Jesus because the Bible (if I could find one I could read back then of course) says He is the only mediator between man and God? How do you think that would that go down? I can nearly smell the flames.
    According to the Church, being worthy in this case means being in a state of grace.

The word Grace in the Greek is “Charis”. This word means un-merited favour which means it is the kind of favour that cannot be earned. If it could be earned then it ceases to be “charis” the reward as Paul says is now reckoned of debt. In order to get access to this Grace we must have faith. “For by Grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast” Now the word faith in the Greek is “Pistis” (the noun) “Pisteo” (the verb) and it is an action word. It is something you do, not merely something that you have. The scripture says without it, it is impossible to please God. The literal meaning of the word Pisteo in the Greek is to act upon a belief and to continue that action in the confidence that the thing being believed in is true and solid. In the Christian sense this is God’s Word of promise. So we are saved by unmerited favour through acting on God’s Word namely His promises. We are only in this state of grace when we are doing these kinds of actions daily. Merely adhering to the traditions of men with a checklist mentality will not pass muster with God. He wants faith and faith Alone!!! It is written!
    This verse supports the change from observing the sabbath (Saturday) to Sunday. See also:

Acts 20:7 And on the first day of the week, when we were assembled to break bread (The first day of the week is Sunday)

Is this a command from God? Did Paul say that this was to be done in response to a Word from the Lord? Paul spoke for himself and made a distinction when it came from the Lord or Him e.g. “And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife. But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.” 1 Cor 7:10-14
    The writer to the Hebrews says that there remains a rest or “sabbathing” for the people of God Heb 4:9. That rest or “sabbathing” is what I explained above. Acting in faith on God’s Word and ceasing from your own works of righteousness which cannot save you.

Yet more debunking of tradtions by scripture:

“Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using; after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.” Col 2:20-23
    1 Cor 16:2 On the first day of the week let every one of you put apart with himself, laying up what it shall well please him; that when I come, the collections be not then to be made.

This quote has to do with giving. Do you want to talk about giving? Tithes and Offerings?
    I agree. Are you claiming this is what the catholic faith is like??

Absolutely not. And how can you say you agree when it is blatantly clear from your posts that you don’t?
    :confused: Church teachings keep Christ out of peoples lives? Are you serious??

Catholic Church teachings do. For instance; if I wanted to get my child to make his first holy communion in a Catholic Church he would need to get baptised and then he would need to confess his sins to a priest then he’d need to say a few Hail Marys and an Our Father or two and probably a decade of the rosary and only then could he be deemed worthy to make his first holy communion, am I wrong? Why can he not just take communion at home? Just get a little wine and a little bread and partake of it at home whilst discerning what Christ done for him on the cross and in so doing is discerning the Lord’s body as he partakes which Paul defines as partaking worthily? Now why can’t he do that without all these catholic add-on obstacles in the way?
    :confused: Which bad news are you talking about???

The bad news that God cannot accept us until we jump through several self compromising Catholic hoops en route to Him who freely gave Himself for all mankind not just Catholics, that bad news is what I’m talking about.
    I find it very hard to believe that you came to your conclusions about the Church by yourself. Are you honestly telling me that you haven't been influenced by things you been told or read? Be honest please.

I never said that I came to my conclusions about the Catholic Church by myself. And I am honestly telling you that I have been influenced by things that I have been told and have read. What of it? Is that now a sin also that I must do penance for? My eyes were open to the truth of God’s Grace by His own word, that He takes me as I am and you as you are and you do not need to pass Catholic boot camp (or anyone else’s boot camp) before He’ll accept you. “God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8 We did nothing to deserve it and cannot do anything now to deserve it either, all we can do is trust in His Word.
    Basically you're tell me me that Christ founded a Church and that His Church fell into error despite Christ assurances that the Church would keep the Church in truth and that the gates of Hell wouldn't prevail and that He would be with His Church to the end of time. You don't appear to have a whole lot of faith in Christ's assurances about the Church!

It is quite evident from my posts that I have a lot of faith in Christ’s promises. Including the one that the gates of hell shall not prevail against His “out called ones” or “Church”. What you seem to be confused about is that you think that those “out called ones” that He is referring to is just the Catholic Church. Well its not. He is referring to an invisible body of believers in the world, who have one thing in common, and that is that they trust in God’s Word of promise. They could be from any walk of life including Catholic, Anglican, Protestant, Mormon, Islamic, Hindu, Buddhist and so on they could be of any race or creed. The thing is God knows who they all are today and who they all were throughout history and I believe He is not far from making up His intended number to fill that void in heaven left by Satan and his minions. Christ died for all of us and it is the Church’s (any Church’s) primary function to proclaim this Good News to the whole world. That is what Christianity started out as and that is what it still is and that is all it ever will be. Now no matter what Church you belong to, it needs to understand this and that their house rules should only be the criteria for getting into their particular Church and those who want to be part of it should obey those rules but those rules are not the criteria for eternal life.

• Advertisement

This is the terrible evil of the Reformation. It caused people to reject the authority of the Church.

Well as Jackass and others have pointed out to you on several previous impenetrable occasions, without this "evil" of the reformation (as you call it) you would not have been able to get access to, or even if you could have gotten access to, would most likely not have been able to read the verses that you have heretofore quoted from the real sacred texts.

The evil of the reformation, ha ha ha ha that’s a good one :rolleyes: What do you think of Hitler? Was he evil in your opinion? He has yet to be excommunicated from the Catholic Church so much for hating evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Well as Jackass and others have pointed out to you on several previous impenetrable occasions, without this "evil" of the reformation (as you call it) you would not have been able to get access to, or even if you could have gotten access to, would most likely not have been able to read the verses that you have heretofore quoted from the real sacred texts.

The evil of the reformation, ha ha ha ha that’s a good one :rolleyes: What do you think of Hitler? Was he evil in your opinion? He has yet to be excommunicated from the Catholic Church so much for hating evil.
    Speaking of Adolf Hitler, Its interesting to note that during Hitler’s rise to power Vatican censors, after long deliberation, had decided not to ban Mein Kampf. This, despite the fact that between 1542 and 1966 the Church put more than 5000 books and authors on the Index of forbidden books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Keep ol' Adolph out of it. He had no bearing on th edevelopment of Roman Catholic doctrine nor the development of the doctrine of any other Christian churches.

If Paul received all his authority from Christ, why was he later ordained by Ananias in Acts 9:17?
    He wasn't. Acts 9:17 doesn't mention ordination. Ananias prayed for Paul to receive his sight and to be filled with the Spirit. I am amazed that you want to use this as an example, particularly since there is no record of Ananias being an apostle. Are you claiming that a non-apostle (Ananias) conferred the apostolic succession on Paul? :confused:
    By the same argument, Jesus wouldn't have chosen Peter as an apostle. Remember Peter's denial of Jesus and when He tried to prevent Jesus from being crucified and Jesus said get thee behind me Satan!
    So you see Peter denying Christ as equivalent to murder and sexual immorality? That is interesting.
    The thing is you and I don't know the full picture of what went on between Jesus and His apostles. The NT is quite short and it can't possibly deal with every matter that the Church teaches or its traditions. You cannot definitively say that confession to a priest is invalid or that the Eucharist is only symbolic. Scripture is not very explicit a lot of the time.

How do you actually know that the apostles didn't transfer authority to successors? You don't and it's only an assumption that they didn't.
    What do you think the laying on of hands in Acts and elsewhere is about?
    How do you know that Jesus didn't prophesy about pink giraffes, or predict that a man called Mohammed would arise with a greater revelation? We have to base our lives on what Scripture does teach, not swallow any load of old nonsense and say, "Well, the Bible doesn't say it didn't happen so it must be OK".

How do I know that the apostles didn't transfer to successors? Well, for a start, Paul makes it clear that his apostleship was not conferred by men:
    Paul, an apostle—sent not from men nor by man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead (Galatians 1:1)
    But when God, who set me apart from birth[a] and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus. (Galatians 1:15-17)

The fact is that Paul was opposed by those who questioned his apostleship. In both Galatians and 2 Corinthians he defends himself - yet he never mentions apostolic succession because he was unaware of any such concept.

OK, you've raised this before but it certainly does not mean that all tradition is bad. Traditions such as baptism, the Eucharist, confession etc are all based around doing God's will. It was the will of Jesus that we have a Church and He wants us to obey the authority of the Church. See these verses:

Heb 13:17 Obey your prelates, and be subject to them. For they watch as being to render an account of your souls;

1 Thess 5:12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them who labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you: 13 That you esteem them more abundantly in charity, for their work's sake. Have peace with them.

No, we hold to the teaching of the Church, as handed down to us infallibly in the Holy Scripture. We esteem our pastors as they faithfully teach that word.

But we reject the false shepherds who entered in to the flock, teaching things contrary to the Bible - things like priests, idols, mediators other than Christ, salvation by faith + merit, etc. These false pastors are specifically warned of by the apostles:

Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves.

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.

2 Peter 2:1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.

The true Church continued throughout the ages, meeting everywhere where godly souls loved Christ and sought to follow Him. The false Church ruled over men's consciences and used the sword to enforce her will. Pomp, luxury, and the blood of the faithful whom she slaughtered, characterised her.

Look at the New Testament church, and look at the others today - which bear the most resemblance to the original, in teaching and in practice?

Keep ol' Adolph out of it. He had no bearing on th edevelopment of Roman Catholic doctrine nor the development of the doctrine of any other Christian churches.

That whole Positive Christianity thing never took off.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Christianity

He wasn't. Acts 9:17 doesn't mention ordination. Ananias prayed for Paul to receive his sight and to be filled with the Spirit. I am amazed that you want to use this as an example, particularly since there is no record of Ananias being an apostle. Are you claiming that a non-apostle (Ananias) conferred the apostolic succession on Paul? :confused:
    True, ordination is mentioned but the laying of hands is mention several times in scripture. What do you think this laying of hands is about? It can't be baptism can it? Examples...
    Acts 6:2 Then the twelve calling together the multitude of the disciples, said: It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables. 3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. 4 But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word. 5 And the saying was liked by all the multitude. And they chose Stephen, a man full of faith, and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas, a proselyte of Antioch.
    6 These they set before the apostles; and they praying, imposed hands upon them. 7 And the word of the Lord increased; and the number of the disciples was multiplied in Jerusalem exceedingly: a great multitude also of the priests obeyed the faith.

Acts 13:2 And as they were ministering to the Lord, and fasting, the Holy Ghost said to them: Separate me Saul and Barnabas, for the work whereunto I have taken them. 3 Then they, fasting and praying, and imposing their hands upon them, sent them away.

1 Tim 4:14 Neglect not the grace that is in thee, which was given thee by prophesy, with imposition of the hands of the priesthood.

1 Tim 5:22 Impose not hands lightly upon any man, neither be partaker of other men's sins. Keep thyself chaste.

I did a bit of research on Ananias and he is believed to be the first Bishop of Damascus so he would have the authority to ordain Paul.

Since apostolic succession is key to our discussion, why don't we focus on that?

God bless,
    Noel.

Since apostolic succession is key to our discussion, why don't we focus on that?

God bless,
    Noel.

Curiously, Could you detail the gifts of Spirit that the Pope has? and the gifts the last 10 popes have had?

Also, is the pope the only apostolic successor? Seeing how there were 12 apostles, all of whom could pass on their apostleship, who else are apostles?

Also, we seen in Acts what happened to those who sinned against the spirit, they fell down dead!

Now, if the Pope is an apostle, and they sin against the spirit, which some have done (that is if they actually had the spirit), then would they not have died instantly also? And if there is a pope in history who was corrupt and not an apostle, then surely the apostolic line ends does it not? Or are cardinals apostles too? Or does the laying of hands not actually matter in the RC church? Is it if the Cardinals decide on a new Pope/apostle, God automatically makes them an apostle?

If this can be done, then why was laying of hands needed back in New Testamant times?

Curiously, Could you detail the gifts of Spirit that the Pope has? and the gifts the last 10 popes have had?
    No I can't, sorry.
    Also, is the pope the only apostolic successor? Seeing how there were 12 apostles, all of whom could pass on their apostleship, who else are apostles?
    Every bishop is a successor to the apostles. That is not to say that bishops have the very same charisms as the apostles. The apostles had the gifty or prophesy, healing and individual infallibility (I think). The Pope is the only successor of the apostles who has the gift of invividual infallibility (when it comes to ex cathedra declarations on matter of faith and morals).
    Also, we seen in Acts what happened to those who sinned against the spirit, they fell down dead!

Now, if the Pope is an apostle, and they sin against the spirit, which some have done (that is if they actually had the spirit), then would they not have died instantly also?
    What to you mean by sins against the spirit?
    And if there is a pope in history who was corrupt and not an apostle, then surely the apostolic line ends does it not? Or are cardinals apostles too? Or does the laying of hands not actually matter in the RC church? Is it if the Cardinals decide on a new Pope/apostle, God automatically makes them an apostle?
    The pope, bishops and cardinals are not apostles. The Apostles were all appointed by Christ unlike bishops etc. The laying on of hands is part of every ordination and is the use of blessed oils.

• Advertisement

The pope, bishops and cardinals are not apostles.
    Ok now I'm confused? We are talking about Apostles passing on their apostleship no? What is apostolic sucession then?
    The Apostles were all appointed by Christ unlike bishops etc.

Matthias was chosen after Jesus had ascended. The apostles prayed and cast lots to decide on his apostleship.

Advertisement