Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been swayed by a thread??

Options
  • 18-01-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I am an avid reader of this forum (and the A&A) and have to admit that am still on the fence reading the thoughts, arguements and reasoning of all sides.
    Would consider myself more an athiest I suppose but on the other hand I seem to see too many things around me that I cannot just put down to mere evolutionary chance.

But I was wondering has anyone ever been swayed or queationed their faith in any way (even a little) due to discussions in this forum. I myself have often gotten lost in a thread and tipped one way or the other because of the points being made by contributers (except for hell and damnation scripture quoting - just doesn't do it for me). The sheer amount of debate that has gone on month after month and post after post - has anyone ever got someone around to their way of thinking by the end of a thread??

Should probably post this on the A&A forum as well but in my general experience it seems a lot easier/more common for someone to question their faith than it is for an "unbeliever to find it (especially for a confirmed athiest;))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

gramlab wrote: »
    I am an avid reader of this forum (and the A&A) and have to admit that am still on the fence reading the thoughts, arguements and reasoning of all sides.
    Would consider myself more an athiest I suppose but on the other hand I seem to see too many things around me that I cannot just put down to mere evolutionary chance.

But I was wondering has anyone ever been swayed or queationed their faith in any way (even a little) due to discussions in this forum. I myself have often gotten lost in a thread and tipped one way or the other because of the points being made by contributers (except for hell and damnation scripture quoting - just doesn't do it for me). The sheer amount of debate that has gone on month after month and post after post - has anyone ever got someone around to their way of thinking by the end of a thread??

Should probably post this on the A&A forum as well but in my general experience it seems a lot easier/more common for someone to question their faith than it is for an "unbeliever to find it (especially for a confirmed athiest;))

Never caused me to question my faith. It has forced me to rexamine my theological beliefs and maybe to try and articulate them better.

I hope that makes sense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I seem to see too many things around me that I cannot just put down to mere evolutionary chance.
    If you think that evolution is "chance" then you don't understand evolution. Ask something in the creationism thread if you want to take this further -- we're a helpful lot :)
    But I was wondering has anyone ever been swayed or questioned their faith in any way
    I don't believe that anything in this forum has ever caused any religious believer to question the religious beliefs that they write about with such zeal. Mostly, I believe, because defense of one or more fixed ideas is a central part of most religious systems where believers are geared to propagate ideas, rather than to question or change them.

For my own irreligious part, I've certainly learned a lot about biology, and changed quite a few of my opinions about religion since I started posting hereabouts two or three years ago, but these opinions are probably better suited to a thread in A+A.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Most of these threads have inclined me even more toward atheism than I ever was, though I'm not an actual atheist
    Or at least away from christianity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

bluewolf wrote: »
    Most of these threads have inclined me even more toward atheism than I ever was, though I'm not an actual atheist
    Or at least away from christianity

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Some of my debates when I was involved in this forum, especially with a certain Japan-based moderator caused me a lot of thought and consideration. I still think about some of the things he raised. Equally, I think Wicknight has reminded me a few times of the moral emptiness that can be hidden by religious rhetoric. On the whole though, I stopped moderating and participating here because no matter how much work I put it into explaining things, people didn't want to understand where Christians came from- they just wanted us to capitulate. It wasn't a dialogue really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I have been prompted to think my positions over more carefully by some of the more thoughtful posters - but the amount of trolling is becoming increasingly off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Excelsior wrote: »
    Some of my debates when I was involved in this forum, especially with a certain Japan-based moderator caused me a lot of thought and consideration.
    Fun times, I learned a lot, I enjoyed a lot.

I'll answer honestly. Some threads on this have personally caused me to look to the meaning behind certain relevant verses and have prompted me to learn a lot more about my faith as a Christian, and yes I have doubted at times. All people do, whether or not they expose it is another matter. However I believe doubt makes me a better Christian after I resolve it. I don't know what the general consensus about this is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jakkass wrote: »
    How so?

I used to have a vague respect for christianity as I would for many religions. But it's definitely been worn away the more posts here I read.

In the demeanor or just the way by which Christian theology and apologetics operate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I have learned a great deal from opposing viewpoints. Questions posed by Christians and non-Christians alike have forced me to ask questions that I wouldn't have bothered asking before. Despite the obvious taunting poster here and there, I think that my faith has been enhanced by this fora and the lively debates.

In the demeanor or just the way by which Christian theology and apologetics operate?

Both I guess? I couldnt pinpoint it for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Not particularly I have to admit, but the great thing about my debates with Wicknight amongst others on the A&A forum is that I have learned to try to make my spiritual thinking more clear both to myself and others.
    I love it when others find an angle to challenge my theories which helps me refine them or develop them further.

Since I think atheism and China will have a big influence over our lives in the next fifty years I think it's great to get an insight into the thought-process behind both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

I've not yet been swayed from my faith by atheists or brought closer to my faith by Christians in this forum. I believe that if God exists then He is the answer to all questions and is not afraid of them.

If a confirmed atheist has a valid question that he/she wants an answer to then it is they're right to ask such questions and it is they're right to not be swayed by what they would consider an inadequate answer.

What I find in here for the most part though (please do not assume I'm talking about everybody, there are a lot of good posters on both sides of the fence) are two equally wrong reasons for posting. They are mostly from Atheists who don't actually want answers to their own questions; they just want Christians to get on the defensive about their faith. And also from Christians who get on the defensive and cry hell and damnation on the questioners because they (the Christians) can’t answer their (the Atheist’s) questions. Both positions do not produce a good debate.

If atheists are so convinced that Christians are wrong then why bother them at all? Let us be wrong. We have a right to be wrong don't we? Plus all Christians that post here post from a personal viewpoint and are not posting from a strictly Christian viewpoint which causes a lot of confusion. Atheists then take their viewpoint as a Christian view point when its not and then proceed to bash Christianity with it.

Take Bishop Ussher’s dating of the earth for instance. Christians have been put on the defensive for a long time about this becuase he (Ussher) used the chronological record of the descendants of Adam to date the earth at just over 4000 years old. He was wrong to do this because there is nothing in the Bible that suggests that the earth is only 4000 years old. The source that states it took God six days to create the heavens and the earth is in the same book as the other source that says “a day with the Lord is as a thousand years”. It states that “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” and then the next verse says literally from the original Hebrew that “and the earth became a waste and a desolation”. There could be a vast gulf of time between these two verses but it doesn’t say how long. It doesn't say that the earth was "void and without form", it says it became a waste and a desolation. What happend to make it so? Don't know but it was before Adam was created. What we have in the bible is a re-creation as the former became desolate.

The point I’m trying to make with this illustration is don’t judge God’s Word through the ignorance of others. That’s what most atheists do here. They judge Christianity through other posters’ (who claim to be Christians) ignorance on the subject. To Christians: If God's Word is not your basis for argument then point out that it is your opinion that you are giving. To Atheists: If God's Word does not have the answers to your questions then it doesn't have the answers to your questions. Why not? You may ask. I haven' got a clue. God just didn't include them in His Word. Why? Don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Not in a while, but definately some great points made that got me thinking anyway. With Wolfsbane, PDN, and recently SoulWinner I have found a great base for knowledge encouragement and heart, not always agreeing with them, but certainly seeing them as a very good source for informed answers. Some of the questions the atheists raise definately get the brain going, however, i find that the discussions with them can frequently descend into tit for tat for whatever reason. One thing i did learn from the atheists, was that i was a phoney, with a pretentious Christianity. It was when I was a newbie, i said some line in the creation thread about feeling sorry for them etc, real condescending tripe TBH:o I think it was Son Goku who brought my attention to it, and I did indeed cop myself on. I am quite thankful for that. So even if thats the only thing that this forum ever achieved for me, its been worth it. thats my story anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

They are mostly from Atheists who don't actually want answers to their own questions; they just want Christians to get on the defensive about their faith.
    You may find a few seagull atheists doing that, but few of us longer-serving posters are here to annoy christians. For my own part, I'm fascinated by religions and how they "work", but the kind of patient questioning that needs to take place is what some posters find offensive to the point of thinking it trolling. Which is unfortunate because that's not what it is.
    If atheists are so convinced that Christians are wrong then why bother them at all?
    Because christians wield the kind of political power that produces large-scale and very visible effects in society. You may (or may not?) remember that contraception was first made legally available in Ireland in 1979 with a doctor's prescription, and for "bona fide family planning purposes" only. And it took until the early 90's for condoms to become generally available without a prescription. Both events being vigorously opposed by the catholic church. If religious belief had no side-effects, then religious beliefs religion wouldn't be much more interesting than knowing which end of an egg people crack open.
    Let us be wrong. We have a right to be wrong don't we?
    Firstly, christians generally do not reciprocate that right. There are perhaps millions of christians (and those of other religions) trawling the world looking to convert people to their "right" beliefs. Engaging, in one area of ideas, in what I suppose one could reasonably term the cultural equivalent of genocide.

Secondly, yes, of course you have a right to be wrong. But christians should be more honest and not claim that their ideas are infallible, or that they are speaking or working on behalf of a deity who chooses to remain mysteriously invisible.
    To Atheists: If God's Word does not have the answers to your questions then it doesn't have the answers to your questions. Why not? You may ask. I haven' got a clue. God just didn't include them in His Word. Why? Don't know.
    I admire your honesty in admitting at least some imperfection in the text of the bible. It's not something we see here very often.

However, as above, religious texts are not the focus of most atheists ruminations. Rather it's what religious believers do with these religious texts that we find interesting, and that's as varied as the believers themselves, and quite possibly for a very good reason too.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

If atheists are so convinced that Christians are wrong then why bother them at all? Let us be wrong. We have a right to be wrong don't we?

Who knows, maybe athiests are afraid christians may be right and want them to come round to their way of thinking as a safety blanket of sorts - equally the other way round. If we all think the same way we are all saved or doomed together!
    What would be the minimum amount of evidence either way to change an individuals belief - for a committed athiest, the big man himself showing up himself and performing an act only god could would probably be the bare minimum, but for a devout christian, could there possibly be anything that could do it i.e how can you physically disprove gods existence???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I read Richard Dawkins' "The Ancestors Tale" last year. It took me 3 months to finish it. He begins with man today and goes backawards in evolutionary time meeting cousins in the animal kingdom right back to LUCA, (Last Universal Common Ancestor).

I never had a problem thinking we evolved from a common ancestor shared with all Apes - it seems intuitive. However, the further you go back in evolution time i.e fish, insects, plants the more counter intuitive it becomes. I accept but it takes a lot of logical reasoning because it's so counter intuitive. Reminds me of the Monty Hall problem.

The biggest thing that puts me off atheism is the arrogance and ignorance I have experienced from quite a lot of them. I hate that sort of Chris Hitchens style - full of sloppy logic, dumbed down arguments and insensitive biggotry.

As for changing my view, I'd have no problem doing that, if some objectiive evidence manifested. I accept the "power of prayer" but I put this down to its mediative properties not because of some blessed Deity.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The point I’m trying to make with this illustration is don’t judge God’s Word through the ignorance of others. That’s what most atheists do here. They judge Christianity through other posters’ (who claim to be Christians) ignorance on the subject.

I think one of my biggest problems with Christianity is the fact that it is so open to interpretation. You have clearly studied the bible and come to an informed conclusion about what you believe, but so did lots of other people, and came to equally informed but very different conclusions based on the same texts.

You are certain that these people are wrong and you can justify this by reference to the bible, But they are certain that they are right, and they can justify it with reference to the bible

You complain about how atheists argue against people who have ignorant interpretations of the bible, But even from reading this forum, practically every single christian has a different interpretation and a different conception of what christianity is, about the nature of God and what it takes to please him. If I argue against the claim that the earth is only 6000 years old you might come on and give out to me for arguing against a straw man, but Brian Calgary might try and defend the young earth position.

If I try and question the existence of the Great flood or the garden of Eden, some people would insist that they're just metaphores, while others would vehemently defend their validity as historical events.

Christian ideas are a many headed hydra. If you cut the head off one, another grows back in its place. It used to be essential to Christianity that the Earth was the center of the universe. To fundamentalist christianity in the U.S. it is essential to christianity that god created everything in its current form (and evolution is wrong) but to moderate christians evolution is no big deal and God was just the uncaused cause who knocked over the first domino....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Welcome back Tim
    Guys, this thread is way off topic. If you would like to start your own thread be my guest, otherwise, back to the original OP
    Asia

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    You may find a few seagull atheists doing that, but few of us longer-serving posters are here to annoy christians. For my own part, I'm fascinated by religions and how they "work", but the kind of patient questioning that needs to take place is what some posters find offensive to the point of thinking it trolling. Which is unfortunate because that's not what it is.

Patient questioning is fine, and no Christian should have a problem with that. After all, Christians are encouraged to always be ready "to make a defence to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence" (1 Peter 3:15). (I personally find the defence bit easier than the gentleness or reverence :) )

However, the following tactic, in my opinion, certainly falls under the category of trolling rather than patient questioning. This is where atheist posters deliberately quote Scriptures in ways that are contrary to accepted Christian interpretations (and indeed contrary to academic standards of exegesis and hermeneutics). Then, when Christian posters point out that the atheist interpretation (invariably one which tries to portray Christianity and the Bible in a bad light) is mistaken, the atheist replies with, "But how dare you suggest that my interpretation isn't as good as yours?". That is not patient questioning - it is just spoiling for a fight in a particularly childish manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

robindch wrote: »
    You may find a few seagull atheists doing that, but few of us longer-serving posters are here to annoy christians. For my own part, I'm fascinated by religions and how they "work", but the kind of patient questioning that needs to take place is what some posters find offensive to the point of thinking it trolling. Which is unfortunate because that's not what it is.Because christians wield the kind of political power that produces large-scale and very visible effects in society. You may (or may not?) remember that contraception was first made legally available in Ireland in 1979 with a doctor's prescription, and for "bona fide family planning purposes" only. And it took until the early 90's for condoms to become generally available without a prescription. Both events being vigorously opposed by the catholic church. If religious belief had no side-effects, then religious beliefs religion wouldn't be much more interesting than knowing which end of an egg people crack open.Firstly, christians generally do not reciprocate that right. There are perhaps millions of christians (and those of other religions) trawling the world looking to convert people to their "right" beliefs. Engaging, in one area of ideas, in what I suppose one could reasonably term the cultural equivalent of genocide.

Secondly, yes, of course you have a right to be wrong. But christians should be more honest and not claim that their ideas are infallible, or that they are speaking or working on behalf of a deity who chooses to remain mysteriously invisible.I admire your honesty in admitting at least some imperfection in the text of the bible. It's not something we see here very often.

However, as above, religious texts are not the focus of most atheists ruminations. Rather it's what religious believers do with these religious texts that we find interesting, and that's as varied as the believers themselves, and quite possibly for a very good reason too.

I can understand that reasoning. A lot of evil has been done in the name of Christianity over the centuries as it has in other religions and ideologies but that does not mean that the ideologies or religions in question dictate these evils. Christianity started off with a few people reporting that Jesus the Christ rose from the dead and ascended into heaven with a promise to return. Oh how it has strayed from that purpose for the most part. The Church's function is to preach Jesus. Anything else is purely add-on traditions which Jesus says makes void the word of God. It is not the Church's role in this world to convert people and cultures to Christianity. Only God can do that, the Church is a people that belong to the Lord and is not restricted by denomination, its men and women of faith no matter what the denomination. There are many people in all denominations that have no faith in God. They think their works of the flesh will get them in. The purpose of the Church of Jesus is to proclaim the Gospel i.e Good News of Jesus. Which said good news is that He died and paid the penalty for all mankind's sins and is raised from the dead and is alive and promises to never leave you nor forsake you, and all that He wants is your trust in His word. Simple doctrine until it gets confused with worldly matters like war and issues that pertain to government and worldly entities. No wonder the world is turned off on Chrsitainity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

However I believe doubt makes me a better Christian after I resolve it.

I totally respect your diagnosis of the situation but it reminds what Hitchens recently said of the whole Mother Theresa affair:
    'when she revelaed to rome that she couldn't believe in her religon at all anymore
    they replied: that's good you're doubting, it means you're struggling with the issues which means you're really going over the material with great scrutiny

He (Hitchens) concluded 'you can't argue against that' it's the ultimate argument, the more you doubt it (religon) the better a christain you'll become..
    I'm sure you know my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

PDN wrote: »
    This is where atheist posters deliberately quote Scriptures in ways that are contrary to accepted Christian interpretations (and indeed contrary to academic standards of exegesis and hermeneutics). Then, when Christian posters point out that the atheist interpretation (invariably one which tries to portray Christianity and the Bible in a bad light) is mistaken, the atheist replies with, "But how dare you suggest that my interpretation isn't as good as yours?". That is not patient questioning - it is just spoiling for a fight in a particularly childish manner.
    I'm not arguing with your main point, which I think is fair comment.

Being truthful, I never like it when a favourite ugly scriptural quote can be illustrated to have an acceptable interpretation. However, I think it is fair to point out that frequently the initial view of the quote can be coming from ignorance of that interpretation - hence the subsequent shouting can simply reflect the slowness of any human to yield ground in an argument, even when they should.

But, indeed, what we should be aiming for is a meaningful discussion. There's no point in shouting about stuff that's actually not at issue. For what its worth, stepping out of discussion of religion in general and into Christianity in particular, I'd describe the focus of any questioning I might do as simply on how people see all that stuff - a sucession of Jewish prophets, followed by this Messiah who didn't seem to turn out like they expected - as a coherent whole. I think there is enough 'legitimate' questioning out there to keep any debate going.

Schuhart wrote: »
    I'm not arguing with your main point, which I think is fair comment.

Being truthful, I never like it when a favourite ugly scriptural quote can be illustrated to have an acceptable interpretation. However, I think it is fair to point out that frequently the initial view of the quote can be coming from ignorance of that interpretation - hence the subsequent shouting can simply reflect the slowness of any human to yield ground in an argument, even when they should.

But, indeed, what we should be aiming for is a meaningful discussion. There's no point in shouting about stuff that's actually not at issue. For what its worth, stepping out of discussion of religion in general and into Christianity in particular, I'd describe the focus of any questioning I might do as simply on how people see all that stuff - a sucession of Jewish prophets, followed by this Messiah who didn't seem to turn out like they expected - as a coherent whole. I think there is enough 'legitimate' questioning out there to keep any debate going.

I have just moved into a new house (at last - I've been building it for the last 5 years) and Eircom are making me wait for a phone line, so my internet access is currently limited. So I'm replying to posts much slower than usual.

To be fair, Schuhart, I've never found you to be a troll. You seem prepared to listen to what your opponent is saying, even if you disagree - which is fair enough. (I've noticed you do the same in the Islam forum). The same would apply to some other long-term posters such as Scofflaw. Robin, while he gets carried away sometimes in his zeal (something I can identify with), also seems to be prepared to modify his stance in the light of reason and debate. There are others, however, who have no desire to understand what Christians really believe and simply come on here to misrepresent and to misquote.

PDN wrote: »
    However, the following tactic, in my opinion, certainly falls under the category of trolling rather than patient questioning. This is where atheist posters deliberately quote Scriptures in ways that are contrary to accepted Christian interpretations (and indeed contrary to academic standards of exegesis and hermeneutics). Then, when Christian posters point out that the atheist interpretation (invariably one which tries to portray Christianity and the Bible in a bad light) is mistaken, the atheist replies with, "But how dare you suggest that my interpretation isn't as good as yours?". That is not patient questioning - it is just spoiling for a fight in a particularly childish manner.
    Well not meaning to insult christian scholars and so on, but "accepted christian interpretations" doesn't mean they're unquestionably right.
    I know there's a lot of context etc to take into account for a lot of these things, and maybe one line quoting and sniping is what you meant, but the rest... *shrug*

stevejazzx wrote: »
    I totally respect your diagnosis of the situation but it reminds what Hitchens recently said of the whole Mother Theresa affair:
    'when she revelaed to rome that she couldn't believe in her religon at all anymore
    they replied: that's good you're doubting, it means you're struggling with the issues which means you're really going over the material with great scrutiny

He (Hitchens) concluded 'you can't argue against that' it's the ultimate argument, the more you doubt it (religon) the better a christain you'll become..
    I'm sure you know my opinion!

I was watching the Four Horsemen on Youtube over the weekend. Which consists of him, Daniel Dennett, Richard Dawkins, and Sam Harris. Was interesting, but I believe I would doubt atheism if I had it. It seems logical to me that a God exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭interestinguser

It seems logical to me that a God exists.
    A god, or your religions particular notion of god?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well not meaning to insult christian scholars and so on, but "accepted christian interpretations" doesn't mean they're unquestionably right.
    I know there's a lot of context etc to take into account for a lot of these things, and maybe one line quoting and sniping is what you meant, but the rest... *shrug*

I certainly agree that "accepted Christian interpretations" are not unquestionably right. Indeed, I would see one of the purposes of this board being for us to discuss differing interpretations.

However, that is different from where a poster deliberately takes a minority interpretation and uses it to say, "Look, I told you the Bible is evil and that all those who believe it are potential genocidal murderers" - all the while ignoring the fact that no Christian has ever shared, or ever will share, their rather unique and creative twisting of Scripture to suit their own ends.

Incidentally, I feel exactly the same about Christians who deliberately quote the Koran or Richard Dawkins out of context so as to misrepresent them.

• Advertisement

A god, or your religions particular notion of god?

The Christian notion of God seems to be the most rational to me.

Advertisement