Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast TT Roads in South Dublin City

Options
  • 27-05-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there,

Has anybody got any suggestions for a road in Dublin that meets the following criteria:
    1. Is flat
    2. Is straight
    3. Has minimal traffic lights

I'm essentially looking for a straight strip where I can do my own personal TT if you will and I can go near flat out without having to deal with traffic lights, merging lanes etc.

I'm thinking the N11 might be a contender but there are a lot of junctions to deal with.

(I'm in Ranelagh if it helps by the way)

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi there,

Has anybody got any suggestions for a road that meets the following criteria:
    1. Is flat
    2. Is straight

I'm essentially looking for a straight strip where I can do my own personal TT if you will and I can go near flat out without having to deal with traffic lights, merging lanes etc.

I'm thinking the N11 might be a contender but there are a lot of junctions to deal with.

Thanks!

Donut first thing in the morning. Traffic lights are geared for traffic on the N11. Also the cost road from donnybrook to dun Laoghaire is good. Same deal.

But you would need to be on the road early

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭magicmonkeys

godtabh wrote: »
    Donut first thing in the morning. Traffic lights are geared for traffic on the N11. Also the cost road from donnybrook to dun Laoghaire is good. Same deal.

But you would need to be on the road early

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the donut? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Ranelagh to Lamb's Cross as warm-up. Then Lamb's Cross to the petrol station at the Y-junction before Enniskerry as your TT. Turn around and do it again on the way back.

Flattish, not too many lights. Best I could find close to home.

If you want to go further afield and don't mind a climb first, then Johnnie Fox's to the Pine Forest is a good 5k TT, with a kicker at the end.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The N11 isn't flat either. It's got an incline out of town until the Leopardstown exit and then it goes downhill again.

It's not a massive incline but it's noticable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Hi there,

Has anybody got any suggestions for a road in Dublin that meets the following criteria:
    1. Is flat
    2. Is straight

Thanks!

Dublin Airport has one. Pretty busy though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Old n2...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    Donut first thing in the morning...
    Pre-ride breakfast? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

MediaMan wrote: »
    Ranelagh to Lamb's Cross as warm-up. Then Lamb's Cross to the petrol station at the Y-junction before Enniskerry as your TT. Turn around and do it again on the way back.

Flattish, not too many lights. Best I could find close to home.

If you want to go further afield and don't mind a climb first, then Johnnie Fox's to the Pine Forest is a good 5k TT, with a kicker at the end.

if you start at the grange star shop down at the junction of marley park/3 rock pub there is a good strava segment loop up to the petrol station and back.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5121126

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

if you start at the grange star shop down at the junction of marley park/3 rock pub there is a good strava segment loop up to the petrol station and back.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5121126

Hardly a flat TT course though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Hardly a flat TT course though

Hardly mountainous either. About 300 meters over 20KM.
    But i was referring more to the lack of traffic lights. After the right turn at lambs cross its pretty much clear all the way,especially if done in the evening or morning time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Pre-ride breakfast? :pac:

My phone can read my mind some times!

Probably meant do it first thing in the morning when there is no traffic. If you are on the main road ie N11 the lights are generally in your favor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MediaMan wrote: »

+1, about as flat as you will get, slight descent at the end but a decent one if you g from Johnnie Foxes flat out to the next junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭columbus_66

What about out the N4 from Kilmainham-Palmerstown, good speed road, bus lane, a few drags, good distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

What about out the N4 from Kilmainham-Palmerstown, good speed road, bus lane, a few drags, good distance?

I used to commute to Leixlip on this section. If you were lucky a bulk tanker coming out of Dublin port would be just taking off from the last set of lights on the Con Colbert road and you could draft all the way to the lights at Palmerstown. Good times. I wouldn't even consider it now, it was great to be younger and invincible.

In terms of a safe TT I think you are looking at the older National grade sections of the road network where a motorway has gone and taken the traffic. So your warm up is getting beyond the M50.

The N2 northbound after the M50 and so on, now called the R135

N11 from Kilmacanogue southbound is good, albeit with a hefty warm-up from Ranelagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Haven't been on it for a while but the N81 once past Brittas is flat and has no traffic lights. bit of a hike through the embankment to get there.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Top of Calary Hill to Roundwood (and back). It's a bit of a hike from Ranelagh and then there is long hill, but you could park up there and potter around before embracing the pain.

Advertisement