Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle lanes? cycle against traffic flow?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The combined contra-flow bus/cycle tracks are more common alright.

(Good to hear about that new set-up (South Richmond Street??). Never liked doing that loop around by the Luas track.)

I could be wrong, but, off-hand: In Dublin and in Ireland overall, there's a larger number of contra-flow cycle lanes than contra-flow bus lanes. The latter may just be more prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I've noticed recently yield signs for cyclists been put at bus stops not all bus stops just the ones where the bus has to pull into the stop from the road, surely the bus should yield to the cyclist ??
    I've seen these too, on the N11 - seem to have appeared about a week or two ago! I've been wondering what exactly they are supposed to signify... If a bus pulls in ahead of a cyclist (assuming it hasn't actually rolled over them, as almost happens from time to time :rolleyes:), then the cyclist would usually pass the stationary bus on the right (in the bus lane). Are the signs suggesting that the cyclist just stops and waits for it to pull out again? Very cryptic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

cython wrote: »
    Just one of the litany of major design flaws associated with the majority of "dedicated" cycle infrastructure in this country. Similar to the Phoenix Park cycle lanes (don't get me started on salmon cyclists in those!), whereby right of way is taken away from cyclists when crossing entrances on Chesterfield Avenue, whereas if they were on the road the traffic in the entrance must yield (e.g. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.35285,-6.308661,3a,75y,259.16h,65.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFEpVydqt0EYFefIUOWw89Q!2e0?hl=en). Now to be fair, a lot of drivers yield to cyclists if they see them, but having this official double standard just discourages cyclists from using lanes.
    Continuing on your tangents :P ...

Re salmon on 'off-road' cycle paths: I'm intreigued as to what the etiquitte is supposed to be for correct-direction cyclists meeting salmon on the N11 between Cornelscourt and Wyattville Road (Loughlinstown). The latter seem to think nothing of barralling along the inside (farthest from the road) with the implied expectation that the former should pass on the right (next to edge with road). Even if the path is nowhere wide enough to pass safely :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind so much if the salmon stopped, in which case I'd be passing a stationary obstruction, in the same way I would an almost-stationary walker (the latter are also annoying, but not so dangerous unless they're walking same-direction, with headphones, and dogs...don't get me started :rolleyes:)

Re loss of right-of-way: One of the many reasons why off-road paths seem to cause more problems than they solve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

During May while cycling through the Glen of the Downs I've seen a cyclist more then once cycle on the hard shoulder against the traffic.
    I can only guess he is too lazy to cross over at the flyovers.

I have seen a guy do that too...(would say it's the same guy). I don't think they are Irish. Pretty stupid behaviour. As you said, too lazy to go the way of normal traffic via flyovers. Their chance of getting caught by Garda? I would say slim to none, and probably nothing will happen if they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

cython wrote: »
    Similar to the Phoenix Park cycle lanes (don't get me started on salmon cyclists in those!), whereby right of way is taken away from cyclists when crossing entrances on Chesterfield Avenue, whereas if they were on the road the traffic in the entrance must yield (e.g. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.35285,-6.308661,3a,75y,259.16h,65.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFEpVydqt0EYFefIUOWw89Q!2e0?hl=en). Now to be fair, a lot of drivers yield to cyclists if they see them, but having this official double standard just discourages cyclists from using lanes.
    I think they are not the most dangerous since those roads are not often used. The real danger is crossing beside the roundabouts where the cyclists must yield right of way and somehow manage to cross the road while watching the roundabout traffic and traffic coming from the road itself. I have emailed the OPW a year ago about this and they said they were starting a review then. I have just emailed them looking for an update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

When on dedicated (on pavement/off roadway) cycle lane, the requirement for a cyclist to yield to traffic either crossing the lane from a roadway to the left (housing estate or premises) or to traffic turning left into same roadways highlights the poor thought or lack of thought that goes into these. If there was no dedicated lane, the cyclist would have the right of way and traffic exiting from another roadway or turning left off the roadway would have to yield to the same cyclist. Example of this lunacy is the pathway past Wesley College towards M50/Dundrum exit. The cycle lane is intersected by two entrances to housing estates and cyclists are meant to yield to traffic entering or leaving, but crucially, traffic exiting the estate has to yield at the roadway junction, including traffic going the same direction as the cyclist. Why not then have the traffic yield for cyclist on the cycle lane? Seems like common sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

You have to stay left. That's why the back brake is on the left side of the handlebar. Brake with left and lift your right hand to tell if you are stopping or turning right. In europe or any other place where they drive on the right side of the road, the bikes have the brakes the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yanu wrote: »
    In europe ........
    Have we moved to another continent?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

My rear brake is on the right, I'm so continental.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My rear brake is on the right, I'm so continental.

I prefer it that way as I trust it more to stop me, or at least the bike, if needs be.

• Advertisement

Have we moved to another continent?

What?

For the ones with the rear brake on the right… the guy who sold you the bike didn't bother swapping them when they got the bike

Yanu wrote: »
    For the ones with the rear brake on the right… the guy who sold you the bike didn't bother swapping them when they got the bike

I put mine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CramCycle wrote: »
    I prefer it that way as I trust it more to stop me, or at least the bike, if needs be.

front brake has more stopping power surely?

loyatemu wrote: »
    front brake has more stopping power surely?

Yes, hence my front brake on the left, if I am stopping or turning right, I use my right hand to indicate and stop with my left brake slowing/stopping the front brake.

Well… I guess where you put your brakes can be personal preferences so…
    But if you are cycling on the left side of the road and want to communicate to the driver behind you that you are going to turn right, I believe what you do is to point right with your right arm. That leaves you with the left on the handlebar and if I have to brake only with one brake, I prefer to do it with the rear one.

Anyway, the original question I believe was about cycling on left or right and my opinion is to stay on the left side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

I have all my bikes set up with right to rear.
    Your main stopping power is with the front brakes not the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Yes, hence my front brake on the left, if I am stopping or turning right, I use my right hand to indicate and stop with my left brake slowing/stopping the front brake.

Sheldon Brown reckons that the current systems grew up based on the notion that the primary brake would be under the non-signalling hand when doing turns (I presume he's thinking of the old system in the states, where all hand signals were done with the left hand), and unfortunately they decided that the rear brake was the primary brake.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html
    (" Which Brake Which Side? ")

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Advertisement