Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Frame - Cervelo S3 or Argon 18 Nitrogen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

I have the s3 and wouldn't swap it for anything fantastic bike I mainly race on it have not done much climbing or endurance stuff on it but for a bike setup up to race I have had no comfort issues

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

I would go the S3 route, it combines the best of Cervélos S range (the aero front triangle) with the best of the R range (the rear pencil seatstays).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would go the S3 route, it combines the best of Cervélos S range (the aero front triangle) with the best of the R range (the rear pencil seatstays).
    Mullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Lumen wrote: »
    Mullet.

Tellum.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SOR2010

Cheers lads,
    Only fear with the Cervelo is will S3 be upgraded to follow the new S5, where as the argon is a new bike,

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    Tellum.
    That depends on which of hills or sprinting/solo breakaways you consider to be "party time" and "business".

Mullet.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

SOR2010 wrote: »
    Cheers lads,
    Only fear with the Cervelo is will S3 be upgraded to follow the new S5, where as the argon is a new bike,

Sure bikes change every year wouldn't let that put you off you won't be disappointed in the Cervelo go to base2race they stock both get a spin on either see what you like chat the lads there they will put you on the right path

???
    49835033.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

That depends on which of hills or sprinting/solo breakaways you consider to be "party time" and "business".

Nah, deffo tellum based on pure physical volume. And even if you insist on going abstract and define it in terms of purpose, big thick go-faster tubes are clearly party time; thin spindly tubes are sensible ooh-we-wouldn't-want-to-risk-a-sore-bottom time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Nitrogen, definitely a better looking frame.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    The Nitrogen, definitely a better looking frame.

I think so too, Not a lover of all the Red on S3 that's the only thing against it ;)

I was in B2R yesterday had a quick spin on Nitrogen and it's very nice but you can't really tell on a spin around a car park, didn't have time to try the S3

I think so too, Not a lover of all the Red on S3 that's the only thing against it ;)

I was in B2R yesterday had a quick spin on Nitrogen and it's very nice but you can't really tell on a spin around a car park, didn't have time to try the S3

You're getting a great bike either way. There's so little between them you may as well get the one you prefer the look of.

they/them/theirs

One thing to point out is the Argon only has a 5 year warranty while the Cervélo has a lifetime warranty
    chances of a warranty claim are slim with both bikes but in 5+ years your still covered with the Cervélo

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

One thing to point out is the Argon only has a 5 year warranty while the Cervélo has a lifetime warranty
    chances of a warranty claim are slim with both bikes but in 5+ years your still covered with the Cervélo

good point. I know of someone who had a 6 year old R5 replaced with a 2015 version lately due to a fault. great service from Cervelo.

I honestly don't know why people choose aero frames for non-serious-racing purposes.

Aside from the extremely marginal benefit of a very fractional reduction in drag, poorer ride quality and reported front-end floppiness (which may have been fixed in more recent versions) they need full carbon aero wheels to look right. And then you're stuck with something with is no doubt a little bit faster but not really ideal for non-racing use on Irish roads/weather from a ride quality and braking perspective.

The Europcar lads seem to manage fine in the pro peloton with a conventional frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

I honestly don't know why people choose aero frames for non-serious-racing purposes.

Aside from the extremely marginal benefit of a very fractional reduction in drag, poorer ride quality and reported front-end floppiness (which may have been fixed in more recent versions) they need full carbon aero wheels to look right. And then you're stuck with something with is no doubt a little bit faster but not really ideal for non-racing use on Irish roads/weather from a ride quality and braking perspective.

The Europcar lads seem to manage fine in the pro peloton with a conventional frame.

I am kinda thinking I agree. Perhaps on descents, or if you are really fast on the flat solo (40kph+) it will save watts, but at lower speeds, or in a group the aero advantage is not there and perhaps stiff and light might be better.

Because they look lovely. It's not that complicated. If I had the money I'd buy a Canyon Aeroroad or Litespeed C1R and stare at it a lot.

they/them/theirs

To explain:
    I was originally thinking about the Gallium Pro and saw the Nitrogen while in the store,
    I liked the look of it and was ready to purchase and showed it to a mate and he said "really nice bike looks like a Cervelo" did a quick search to see what a Cervelo frame would run me and was shocked I could afford it,
    That's why I said in the Original post about not wanting to hear alternatives or I'll never choose, (Very easily lead) So my budget is about €2500-3000 for a frame and the Cervelo was in budget so I asked for opinions and advise from anyone who has either,
    I have a cheap set of carbon wheels as well and agree maybe either bike is over spec'ed for my current standard but don't we all want to get better? That's the point of spending this kind of money and not buying a standard bike.

Full disclosure my old bike was a Chinnarello and I've always suspected I'm not getting the watts through the bike, but it is perfectly fine for sportives & cruising

The balance may just have been tipped :)
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭fat bloke

At those frame prices I think you're FAR better off buying a full build. Sell the groupset and wheels you have.

http://www.bikelineshop.de/en/bikes/cervelo/road-race-bikes/cervelo-s5-shimano-ultegra-2430.html

Only a 54 left but it gives you an idea.

Eg if you went canyon or rose you'd have range of high spec bikes you could buy for the price of a new mid range cervelo frameset

fat bloke wrote: »
    At those frame prices I think you're FAR better off buying a full build. Sell the groupset and wheels you have.

http://www.bikelineshop.de/en/bikes/cervelo/road-race-bikes/cervelo-s5-shimano-ultegra-2430.html

Only a 54 left but it gives you an idea.

Eg if you went canyon or rose you'd have range of high spec bikes you could buy for the price of a new mid range cervelo frameset

Thanks But 54 is too small for me, I know what your saying alright but my plan if I can stretch to it is to get a Di2 upgrade kit now or in the near future hence why I'm going for a Frame set
    A Di2 set up on the bike is over €4k as they say it's €1700 for the groupset but it can be got online for €1200 and about €800 for the upgrade kit

It looks like the S3 is winning though that and there are no Nitrogens available ( just on to B2R)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭custom_build

You're best bet would probably be talking to Paul out in B2R, he's raced both and is currently riding the argon. I'm sure he'd know better than most on here.

If it helps I know Hollingsworth Bikes in Kilmacud has a couple of S3s in stock

Thanks All the plan is to get in to B2R either tomorrow or Friday and have a chat with Paul re a build :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Another very happy S3 owner here, love the Gallium pro and Nitrogen too though and as someone said earlier you'll have a class bike either way.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Another very happy S3 owner here, love the Gallium pro and Nitrogen too though and as someone said earlier you'll have a class bike either way.

Cheers Charlie can't get the Argon so it looks likely I'll be joining Team Cervelo :D

Cheers Charlie can't get the Argon so it looks likely I'll be joining Team Cervelo :D
    I think you'll be very happy with it my friend. welcome to try mine any time by the way, it's a 54 though.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    I think you'll be very happy with it my friend. welcome to try mine any time by the way, it's a 54 though.

I need a 56 at least I'd say hopefully gets spin on 1 tomorrow and then have it fingers crossed middle of next week, all going well

• Advertisement

I need a 56 at least I'd say hopefully gets spin on 1 tomorrow and then have it fingers crossed middle of next week, all going well

No problem, best of luck with it if you decide to buy.

Advertisement