Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New DB route from Phoenix Pk. to Tara St. DART

• 19-05-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭

According to this site (which has always been accurate before), a new Dublin Bus route will be operating between Phoenix Park (Chesterfield Avenue) and Tara Street DART station.

http://www.dublinbuses.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bit of a strange one considering how much of it's route is the same as the 145.
    could this end up being effectively a shuttle bus for drivers from the Conyngham Depot to and from the city centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Chesterfield Avenue? :confused: Some sort of tourist zoo bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

Interesting.

They must have come to an agreement with OPW, regarding running a public bus service through the park aside from tours bus. Must be to give park patrons more choice.

A pity they didn't experiment with extending it a bit more to castleknock or blanchardstown village. Im sure people would have used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

thomasj wrote: »
    Interesting.

They must have come to an agreement with OPW, regarding running a public bus service through the park aside from tours bus. Must be to give park patrons more choice.

A pity they didn't experiment with extending it a bit more to castleknock or blanchardstown village. Im sure people would have used it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OPW would only agree to it being a bus into/out of the park rather than truly through it. Not to mention that over the last few years, there is a chunk of Chesterfield Avenue closed to traffic at the weekend during the summer, which would mean either the bus detouring significantly at those times (assuming it ran over the weekend, which it probably should if just to serve the zoo and potentially concerts), or surrendering this option, and the latter is unlikely to happen.

I will say that I would have a concern about this turning the PP into effectively a park and ride though, as there are already a lot of people who park in the hard shoulder, and that's without having a transport link as close by as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There was talk of short workings on the 145 or an amended 90 during the summer. It's mainly to improve passenger access to the park and particularly the zoo, the little I had heard about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭trellheim

If it was Sat and Sun only it would make sense with pickups at Zoo and the Aras. Not sure where it would drop off though safely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

cython wrote: »
    I will say that I would have a concern about this turning the PP into effectively a park and ride though, as there are already a lot of people who park in the hard shoulder, and that's without having a transport link as close by as that.

A three hour parking restriction would sort that one out without affecting users of the park who generally wouldn't stay longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A three hour parking restriction would sort that one out without affecting users of the park who generally wouldn't stay longer.

Apart from say those visiting the Zoo, for one little example

trellheim wrote: »
    If it was Sat and Sun only it would make sense with pickups at Zoo and the Aras. Not sure where it would drop off though safely

At the first roundabout on the park side would make sense to me. The last time I was at the zoo I recall that some of the traffic chicanes were pretty tight for cars; buses would certainly struggle to cope with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We've been longer than 3 hours on any visit to the zoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

At the first roundabout on the park side would make sense to me. The last time I was at the zoo I recall that some of the traffic chicanes were pretty tight for cars; buses would certainly struggle to cope with them.

If farmleigh was to be included (a lot goes on there over the summer) it would have to run to the castleknock gate or 1st roundabout after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

<snip>
    Don't start.
    I remain stunned at how it can be let that the likes of the 37 can take an hour to get to the City centre from Carpenterstown and its just considered as one of those things. Unchangeable and something the People of that area just have to suffer with.
    The park is a ready made path to provide a link from Blanch etc to Heuston (just the main rail Station in Dublin and Luas line to Tallaght and main industrial Areas) and the quays and a quicker way to town, but the busses have to be routed all over the shop in order to provide a local bus Service every 30 seconds for the cabra road.
    Crazy stuff.

If farmleigh was to be included (a lot goes on there over the summer) it would have to run to the castleknock gate or 1st roundabout after that

True; it's an attraction in itself. The roundabout on Chesterfield Avenue as is would need remodelling to allow for buses to navigate it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

True; it's an attraction in itself. The roundabout on Chesterfield Avenue as is would need remodelling to allow for buses to navigate it.

Buses use all the roundabouts in Chesterfield Avenue daily... how can there be an issue?

monument wrote: »
    Buses use all the roundabouts in Chesterfield Avenue daily... how can there be an issue?

Including that at the Farmleigh end?

Coaches do, yes.

Maybe I'm missing something? Has it been redesigned again recently? Or what's the issue with it? https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.366469,-6.34164,3a,75y,40.75h,70.92t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1szcd_u39zOtoY74WTi5WSUw!2e0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Most posters appear to be unaware of the OPW's OTHER presence in the Phoenix Park....The Phoenix Park Visitors Centre.

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/visitorcentre/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Coaches do, yes.
    I am surprised... that is a very tight squeeze.

trellheim wrote: »
    I am surprised... that is a very tight squeeze.

It was a tight squeeze in a car when last I used it :) Perhaps it's been widened since but I just can't see a bus manoeuvring it too easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm surprised too

• Advertisement

Are we all talking about the same roundabout? Click images for larger views:

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/[/IMG][/URL]

Was this changed again since only being changed in the last few years?

The only thing which it restricts is speed. As can be seen below the space is massive:

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/5842/349682.JPG[/IMG][/URL]

i think thats been changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't think I've ever seen a coach on that roundabout. But they can run over the cobbles I guess. I wouldn't have called it a massive roundabout by any stretch.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.366469,-6.34164,3a,75y,40.83h,69.28t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1szcd_u39zOtoY74WTi5WSUw!2e0

http://africaday.ie/dublin-bus-to-provide-free-shuttle-bus-to-africa-day/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It used to be like this but that was changed five years ago and as far as I know, it still looks like this.

beauf wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen a coach on that roundabout. But they can run over the cobbles I guess. I wouldn't have called it a massive roundabout by any stretch.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.366469,-6.34164,3a,75y,40.83h,69.28t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1szcd_u39zOtoY74WTi5WSUw!2e0

http://africaday.ie/dublin-bus-to-provide-free-shuttle-bus-to-africa-day/

I have more than a few times after the last redesign.

Having a second look, it's more restrictive than I had first thought (the way it's curved and its dimensions) -- although a Dublin Bus double decker should just about fit without using the cobblestones, but using a bit of the cobblestones is a design allowance on such roundabouts so not a big deal.

Entering/exiting Ordnance Survey Rd or North Rd with a bus could be harder than using the main avenue or going around the roundabout to turn back.

Advertisement