Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks Dublin City: New Wapping Street / Sheriff Street

Options
  • 14-01-2015 1:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

These roadworks are a pain the proverbial

as far as I can recall, They started before the Christmas, but below says only started on 5th January and not finished until bl00dy April :(

Anybody know what they are actually doing.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic/current-roadworks-temporary-road-closures

New Wapping Street, Dublin 1.

New Wapping Street (from Sheriff Street Upper to Mayor Street Upper), Dublin 1 from 0.00hrs on Monday 5th January 2015 to 24.00hrs on Friday 3rd April 2015.

Traffic Management Plan

Traffic travelling east or west on North Wall Quay wishing to travel on New Wapping Street to Sheriff Street Upper will be diverted via Castleforbes Road.
    Traffic travelling east or west on Sheriff Street Upper wishing to travel on New Wapping Street to North Wall Quay will be diverted via Castleforbes Road.
    Traffic travelling south on East Road wishing to travel south on New Wapping Street to North Wall Quay will be diverted via Sheriff Street Upper and Castleforbes Road.
    Pedestrian and local access will be maintained.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

They have being digging up that junction for the last 2 years or more, it's something to do with sewage pipes I believe. your right about causing traffic jams, before Christmas it took me 45 minutes to get from the 5 lamps to the sheriff street East wall road junction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

iopener wrote: »
    They have being digging up that junction for the last 2 years or more, it's something to do with sewage pipes I believe. your right about causing traffic jams, before Christmas it took me 45 minutes to get from the 5 lamps to the sheriff street East wall road junction.

yeah, they are a long time around that junction alright, think initially it was just on new wapping street only, but now its directly affecting sheriff street upper near the docklands train station.....as they have installed temporary traffic lights and only 1 lane allowed through at a time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They re-started on the 5th - the site was completely filled in, temp surfaced and the kit removed over Christmas. Been on and off for well over a year. Really can't figure what they're actually doing that's taking so long in one place.

L1011 wrote: »
    They re-started on the 5th - the site was completely filled in, temp surfaced and the kit removed over Christmas. Been on and off for well over a year. Really can't figure what they're actually doing that's taking so long in one place.

Yeah, its taking way too long. its causing me a 10 minute delay to my journey every morning

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just realised, the given date for the traffic management to end is Easter - they may do the infill and restart job again for that!

• Advertisement

ah for fook sake.
    Was down this road as usual this morning and remembered it was ending soon, just checked website to be sure and seen this, pain in the bollix, an extra 4 months added on.

"New Wapping Street, Dublin 1.

The City Council’s Project Management Office intends to extend the closure of the following road to facilitate major drainage construction works:

New Wapping Street (from Sheriff Street Upper to Mayor Street Upper), Dublin 1 from 0.00hrs on Saturday 4th April 2015 to 24.00hrs on Friday 17th July 2015.
    This is an extension to the existing temporary road closure which was due to end at 24.00hrs on Friday 3rd April 2015."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Unbelievable, their traffic management around that construction has been absolutely terrible, and the work has been going on for so so long. Are they uncovering buried treasure or something?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Unbelievable, their traffic management around that construction has been absolutely terrible, and the work has been going on for so so long. Are they uncovering buried treasure or something?

Must be looking for a fookin lost city.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

I noticed yesterday that they were tarring the road and all holes had been filled in, is this work due to be completed early or am I being too optimistic?

Maybe, although part of me reckons they're just moving the treasure hunt to another part of the street.

Either way, when this reopens, it better never flood again, or it'll be farcical.

• Advertisement

I noticed yesterday that they were tarring the road and all holes had been filled in, is this work due to be completed early or am I being too optimistic?

I hope you are not !

There's no hole, no lights and nobody left on site now

L1011 wrote: »
    There's no hole, no lights and nobody left on site now

So are the road works finished ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭StreetLight

So are the road works finished ?

I passed this way earlier tonight. Looks finished alright. Temporary traffic lights gone, new permanent ones working away. Road re-surfaced with just some markings to be done properly.

I passed this way earlier tonight. Looks finished alright. Temporary traffic lights gone, new permanent ones working away. Road re-surfaced with just some markings to be done properly.

Lovely stuff. Will be in work now 10 minutes sooner

They are finishing almost 2 months before what they said they would (17th July )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I wish they had have fixed the road over that bridge while they were at it. Unbelievably bad road.

I wish they had have fixed the road over that bridge while they were at it. Unbelievably bad road.

Which one? Sheriff Street is in an awful state, but so is that other one (East Road?) which also has an inexplicable traffic light controlled, artifically narrowed section.

I know the bridge your on about. Fecker of a road. All cobbles

Drove this road this morning for the first time in a while and these bloody roadworks are now finished, thanks be to god.

Advertisement