Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cannonballs find

Options
  • 10-11-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Found these while out diving, they are old cannon balls, can anyone tell me anything about them or where they might have came from, they are 6" and approx 15kgs in weight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Did you intend to post a photo or something?
    And where were you diving?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Afaik over 100 years and is considered a protected wreck and is owned by the state, under that and it should be sent to the receiver of wrecks and then is no official owner is found for stuff it reverts back to you. Well dodgy if you are removing artifacts from a site. Just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Afaik over 100 years and is considered a protected wreck and is owned by the state, under that and it should be sent to the receiver of wrecks and then is no official owner is found for stuff it reverts back to you. Well dodgy if you are removing artifacts from a site. Just so you know.

Coming from an archaeology and scuba background I can confirm this. Wrecks do need to be protected just like land monuments.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I can understand the shallower wrecks need protecting cos there are more people who can view them potentially whereas the deep wrecks will have very few people going to view them so theyre just going to rust away

Advertisement