Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTCC coming to Nordschleife in 2015

Options
  • 19-06-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

This is probably the greatest thing to happen to motorsport this century.

It's going to be absolute madness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Magown3

Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Given how short WTCC races are, my question/worry is how many laps are they going to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Given how short WTCC races are, my question/worry is how many laps are they going to run?

3 at a guess!

Races are about a half an hour typically arent they? So thats 3-4 laps Im guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

How is TV going to cover that? By helicopter for most of the lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How is TV going to cover that? By helicopter for most of the lap?
    There are a few series that already run at Nordschleife with TV coverage, there are blind spots from what I've seen but I'm sure an organization like WTCC can afford to cover most of it. Even so they're probably going to have to count a whole lot on onboards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Just look at the coverage there was for the 24h Nürburgring 2014 recently, plenty of coverage.

But this will be great.

This is on the 16th of May,
    Part of the 24 hours Nurburgring weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Eurosport run Live rally stages fine so Id say they will be using the same kit as that.

The north west 200 also offer live coverage on the red button. We might have alot of helicopter shots & incar cameras for bits but should be fine

It's test day today for WTCC at the ring
    http://demo.bridgetogantry.com/wtcc-test-day-at-the-nurburgring/#more-359

And Sabine Schmitz will be joing for the race for ALL-INKL.COM Münnich Motorsport Chevrolet,
    http://www.fiawtcc.com/queen-of-the-ring-schmitz-to-challenge-wtcc-drivers/

Times from todays test
    http://tracktime.info/ergebnisse/2015/Wige/FIA%20World%20Touring%20Car%20Championship/WTCC%20-%20Practice%20Session.pdf

Fastest
    JOSE MARIA LOPEZ
    8:38.027

Slowest
    MIKHAIL KOZLOVSKIY
    9:57.660

Rather big gap there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Given the limited number of full laps you could really run on the ring, it makes you wonder whether the large gap is down to learning the track rather than pushing.

Still disappointed they're sticking with two separate 3-lap races rather than a mini-"enduro".

Sabine Schmitz (queen of the ring :D ) fastest time was 9:01.040 although she only ran 7 laps,

I'd put it down to learning the track, there is no such thing as a perfect lap on the nordschleife, and for those drivers who have little or no running on the north loop it is a very very steep learning curve.

I'd put the 3 lap races down to them not wanting to have cars falling too far off the back or the pack.

Shane_ef wrote: »
    I'd put the 3 lap races down to them not wanting to have cars falling too far off the back or the pack.
    It's quite possible the fuel tank size won't allow them to do more than 3 laps.

Currently 5 parts up on the WTCC youtube channel..
    Make for good watching if your not too familiar with the ring

If you enjoy it... your not going fast enough..

Loeb - Citroën Full lap

Shane_ef wrote: »

Currently 5 parts up on the WTCC youtube channel..
    Make for good watching if your not too familiar with the ring
    Thanks to a laser scanned version of the nords in Assetto Corsa I know every turn by heart. :cool:

ScumLord wrote: »
    Thanks to a laser scanned version of the nords in Assetto Corsa I know every turn by heart. :cool:

I'm in the same boat but it's very different once there :pac::o:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Wonder what would happen if Loeb had pacenotes read out to him over the radio. No doubt its banned but I wonder would he go quicker. His style of notes would definately help him out over the course of the lap.

Of course with so many simulators out there, they all know the track before they arrive. Still, I think Leobs ability to read the road is better than anyone elses on the grid due to his rallying background

They have cameras all around the track. Seen a few laps during practice. Only problem is getting stricken cars off the circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

is this race on tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

kooga wrote: »
    is thiis race on tv?

Yeah, on Eurosport.

Saturday
    7am on Eurosport Warm up
    9:45 Eurosport 2 race 1 & 2

Is there any official online stream?

Eurosport player but it costs.

Live now and its like rallying with the helicopter following like it was a rally car.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Really looks fast

Not many over takes :(

Only 1 car went off so far which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Thought the first race was exciting, very hig speed. It's not like normal track racing, more like watching the northwest 200 but for touring cars! The TV director needs a good talking to though, kept cutting away from the battles at crucial times, saw a couple of good overtakes though.

Very odd start to 2nd race. Wet race declared too?

Nice close finish. Race two was probably better race. Another lap or two would have been good, races felt a bit short

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Not sure what happened but the start protocol wasn't followed, no green flag from the back of the grid and according to Matt Neal there were still grid girls trying to get off the track as the cars pulled away!

Really exciting final lap, I though both races were really enjoyable, hopefully we'll see more races at the 'Ring in future, DTM maybe?

Advertisement