Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus route 63

• 02-12-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Has anyone ever noticed how some bus drivers go around the same roundabout 3 times?

So on the journey from Dun Laoghaire to Kilternan some buses which go to the retail park use the roundabout after crossing the m50 bridge 3 times.

Buses going to the retail park should go there first and this would make them use the roundabout after M50 bridge twice!

Very hard to explain , hopefully someone else feels the frustration!!!

Also why go into the retail park if you can clearly see that there is no one at that bus stop and that no one is getting off!!

Great bunch of bus drivers tho !! THanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Feedback is for feedback on boards.ie. moved to commuting and transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The road layout is nonsensical here. There should be a direct turn into/out of the retail park off Glenamuck Road in either direction, but there isn't requiring everything going from the M50 to double back on itself along Glenamuck Road.

The 63 routing ought to be Dun Laoghaire - The Park - Ballyogan - Kilternan and Kilternan - The Park - Ballyogan - Dun Laoghaire.

That would mean negotiating the roundabout west of the M50 twice going to Kilternan and once going back to Dun Laoghaire. However if the route is to be consistent in both directions, you have to have an additional circuit of that roundabout in at least one direction!

Of course if a driver goes to Ballyogan first going towards Kilternan that means doing another circuit of that roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

yeah so why cant all drivers go to the park first , makes more sense to me !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Eimear..It's an absolute nonsense of a routing,testament to the complete and total lack of communication between any of the relevant participants in Public Planning/Transport.

It's worth noting that there is in fact NO Bus Stop within the Park Centre...there is a shelter of some sort provided by the Centre but up to recently there was no Bus Atha Cliath specific Stop.

The reality here demands the Stop be on the public roadway perimiter of the Centre,commonsense demands it as does the bloody schedule.

Rarely would one see a queue of happy Park customers bearing 52" Plasma Screens waitin on the 63 to the Farm......;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

what they need to do is create access to The Park from Ballyogan Road.
    it would benefit both the 63 and motorists coming from the M50 side.

• Advertisement

what they need to do is create access to The Park from Ballyogan Road.
    it would benefit both the 63 and motorists coming from the M50 side.

Is that access already there,but blocked off.?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

simple solution is that all bus drivers driving buses that are going to The Park go there first! how have they not realised this themselves!

eimear10 wrote: »
    simple solution is that all bus drivers driving buses that are going to The Park go there first! how have they not realised this themselves!

Network Direct anybody...?????

Simpler solution,stay the hell out of the place until the centre management and BAC can provide a sensible method of access.

Some unfortunate's actually lose track of the situation here and may well have to double double the circuit in order to "serve" the Park...God alone knows how much fuel is being wasted on this carry on......

The greatest demand comes from Staff in the centre who could be served by a peak-time diversion at startin/finishin times.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gooddarts10

eimear10 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever noticed how some bus drivers go around the same roundabout 3 times?

So on the journey from Dun Laoghaire to Kilternan some buses which go to the retail park use the roundabout after crossing the m50 bridge 3 times.

Buses going to the retail park should go there first and this would make them use the roundabout after M50 bridge twice!

Very hard to explain , hopefully someone else feels the frustration!!!

Also why go into the retail park if you can clearly see that there is no one at that bus stop and that no one is getting off!!

Great bunch of bus drivers tho !! THanks

They go to ballyogan first in case someone living there wants to go to the retail park

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

The 63 is one of the routes up for Privatisation, be interesting to see if it goes private it the new operators will have to put up with the same ridiculous routing dublin bus is forced to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

steveblack wrote: »
    The 63 is one of the routes up for Privatisation, be interesting to see if it goes private it the new operators will have to put up with the same ridiculous routing dublin bus is forced to.

If it is going up for privatization, one would assume that a private operator would try to be more competitive and customer facing. If so, I would highly recommend splitting the route into two separate routes. One would go up to Kilternan while the other would go to Leopardstown Shopping Center. Each route would run on a half hourly basis Monday - Saturday and then 45 minutely to hourly on a Sunday.

The 59 is the same and it's a complete mess. It effectively goes back on itself to include Killiney "Village:rolleyes:". It is also one of the routes that is being mooted for privatization. I would suggest having two routes. One taking care of the Dalkey/Killiney area and the other taking care of the Glenageary area. The slack would be used to extend both routes up to the Luas Green Line. Anyway, I would hope that a private operator wouldn't make the same mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

I would hope that a private operator wouldn't make the same mistakes.

No mistakes, it is political interference.
    Every time dublin bus try to change a route which would result in a better service for the majority of people, they get stopped.
    Will the private operators be the same. If they get free reign to do as they please, it will in a way remove a lot of blame for bad services from dublin bus, and put the blame on the powers that be who meddle in the day to day operation of bus routes.
    Will it will be two services, dublin bus held back by political interference and private operators left alone to do what needs to be done.

steveblack wrote: »
    No mistakes, it is political interference.
    Every time dublin bus try to change a route which would result in a better service for the majority of people, they get stopped.
    Will the private operators be the same. If they get free reign to do as they please, it will in a way remove a lot of blame for bad services from dublin bus, and put the blame on the powers that be who meddle in the day to day operation of bus routes.
    Will it will be two services, dublin bus held back by political interference and private operators left alone to do what needs to be done.

That is not true anymore.

Virtually every route was changed during Network Direct.

The 63 is not a bad route at all. It's a community route linking Dun Laoghaire, Monkstown Farm, Deans Grange with Cornelscourt SC, Carrickmines LUAS, Ballyogan, Carickmines Retail Park and Kilternan.

I think people have to realise that providing a bus service is a mix of direct trunk routes and local community services. The latter will serve local communities and not necessarily take the fastest possible route.

lxflyer wrote: »
    That is not true anymore.

Virtually every route was changed during Network Direct.

The 63 is not a bad route at all. It's a community route linking Dun Laoghaire, Monkstown Farm, Deans Grange with Cornelscourt SC, Carrickmines LUAS, Ballyogan, Carickmines Retail Park and Kilternan.

I think people have to realise that providing a bus service is a mix of direct trunk routes and local community services. The latter will serve local communities and not necessarily take the fastest possible route.

There are considerable resources allocated to both the 59 and 63 routes,and as Lxf sez,it is NOT intended to be a trunk-route.

What the 63 route DOES underline is the total shambles into which Irish Planning and Development descended during the two decades of our "Boom".

The basic design and construction of Carrickmines Retail Park,once again barely interfaces with ANY of the Local Roads and,more importantly Public Transport Networks.

Instead,Dublin Bus is fully expected to cater for a facility with the most convoluted and unsuitable access arrangements imaginable (Do we actually have any Names for those responsible ?).Just take at look at the place from above to see about as many conflicts and omissions as you would wish to see in a lifetime :mad:

Now,as we begin to smell ourselves again,we see a shift in the retail mix of the "Retail Centre" with the higher end tenants now being joined by the more populist Low Cost Retailers and Fast Food Outlets,yet do we see any appreciation of the potential for developing some new business here...nope !...just more endless looping of those roundabouts and the enduring reluctance of the Planners/Developers to adequately provide for Public Bus Service access.

Eventually the Carrickmines Retail Park will go the way of The Square,Tallaght,with the Bus Routes turfed out to the periphery,in preference to having to battle their way in AND out of the place...lets face it,it's the preferred option for ALL of our Graduate Planners and Developers...whereas them oul Europeans tend to START their retail developments with a Bus-Stop and work out from that....Mad Ted is'nt it ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Reminds me of the old Blanch layout(still used partially by the 39), where buses would come in from Whitestown, head all the way in to the blue entrance by the cinema, then double back on themselves to come back out, then south down the Blanchardstown Road to Blanch village.

This was eventually solved through a combination of Network Direct and the 39a not serving Blanch village, and the shopping centre/council spending a lot of money improving the bus access route, creating a directish bus lane to a dedicated bus stop area, and adding an outlet to the N3 for buses only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Does anyone understand why 1 bus a day in either direction on the 63 divert to serve Cornelscourt village and Foxrock Village seems really pointles in my opinion.

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Does anyone understand why 1 bus a day in either direction on the 63 divert to serve Cornelscourt village and Foxrock Village seems really pointles in my opinion.

It's called retaining a service to an area - the 63 used to go that way all the time.

It retains a link for anyone who wants to go to Dun Laoghaire for shopping/pensions etc.

It's called retaining a service to an area - the 63 used to go that way all the time.

It retains a link for anyone who wants to go to Dun Laoghaire for shopping/pensions etc.

I can't how its useful as its only one bus a day maybe it keeps up drivers knowledge in case there is roadworks on cornelscourt hill. Also why are there bus stops on Torquay Road no bus has ever gone up there has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I can't how its useful as its only one bus a day maybe it keeps up drivers knowledge in case there is roadworks on cornelscourt hill. Also why are there bus stops on Torquay Road no bus has ever gone up there has it.

Its to serve as said mostly oap to be able to collect pension or do a shop.

It isn't to keep any knowledge of route.

The 45a does the exact same thing down to shanganagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

It provides a connection to the post office and is used by locals. It's what a public service is about really. Adapting to how people use the service.

The 45A via Shanganagh Cliffs is another example. The last time I took this service about 12 people boarded.

• Advertisement

Does anyone understand why 1 bus a day in either direction on the 63 divert to serve Cornelscourt village and Foxrock Village seems really pointless in my opinion.

To understand this,you need an appreciation of Social History for starters....back in the day when Foxrock Village had a regular service via the 46/63/86 route,including the Mart Lane schools !!! :)

Most of the impressive residences in the area employed domestic staff,some living-in,but most came from the surrounding Dun Laoire/Mounttown/Cabinteely areas and as a result public transport was a requirement.

Even up to relatively recent times,there were a small number of cleaning ladies,mainly foreign these days,who would use the handful of journeys.

Look at the timetable again.

There is a bus to Dun Laoghaire at 10:45 that will get there for 11:30 or so.

That gives the OAPs until 12:45 to collect pensions or do a shop.

The timetable is designed to facilitate just that.

Incidentally I'd recommend a trip on one of those buses just to look in at the huge houses - quite a sight!

There most certainly was a bus route on Torquay Road. You are, I am afraid, showing your age as clearly you have no recollection of the 86.

There most certainly was a bus route on Torquay Road. You are, I am afraid, showing your age as clearly you have no recollection of the 86.

Which is long gone what I am wondering why there are still stops along this road what with newly painted bus bays does the 86 still exist as a one a day ghost bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,144 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

remember what i explained to you about the concept of "socially necessary" . well, this particular re-routing is just that.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Didn't the 86 use Torquay Road many years ago?

Tarabuses wrote: »

Yes it did.

Tarabuses wrote: »

Yes but the 86 is gone why are there newish looking bus stops on the road

Yes but the 86 is gone why are there newish looking bus stops on the road

That you will have to ask Dublin Bus or DLRCoCo - but you seem to be ignoring the fact that you claimed no bus ever went along that road, and that's what people are responding to.

There no bus routes currently running along Torquay Road between Leopardstown Road and Foxrock Village.

Advertisement