Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergy problems to new hair product

Options
  • 22-06-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

looking for some advice on this.

My GF is an trainee hairdresser and about 10 months ago developed an allergic reaction to a new hair dye product.

She has been off on full pay since 1st sept 2010 and as been going to test to try find the root cause.

Eventually they found what she was allergic to and after a bit of discussion internally with health and safety, she was allowed to return to salon working as a receptionist and not in contact with the product.

However, after a week back she has started developing the same symptoms again and has been sent home from work today and asked to attend a meeting with HR.

She's quite worried that her employer will want to pull the plug on her. Obviously not great for someone with just a leaving cert and no qualifications (as she hasn't finished her time) given the current state of the jobs market.

I'm just wondering what her rights are in this situation? I should point out that this new product was introduced with out skin testing their staff for an allergic reaction (as they would first time customers of the salon)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say they could rightly terminate her employment as she is unable to perform the duties she was hired to do... They are giving her the opportunity to go to work, they tried to facilitate her with the only alternative they had... I'd say her days are numbered ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

the employer must provide approate ppe for your girlfriend , however by the sounds of it she would need a hazmat suit , best to get advice from the citzens advice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is going to sound harsh, but I think the plug needs to be pulled.

If she's been off on full pay for nine months, she's been pretty well treated, TBH. But that cannot last forever. The sooner she leaves, the sooner she can focus on starting a different career.

Product allergies are a pretty well-known hazard in the beauty industry. Some folks seem to be more susceptible than others, and what's adequate PPE for most people doesn't work for them.

Yes, I know this advice may not line up 100% with her legal rights. But it's my pragmatic take on getting her into a better situation long term.

Advertisement