Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Start up costs

• 27-05-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this in the right place so mods feel free to move.

Looking for some advice off the good people of boards. Currently I use public transport for my commutes, South Dublin to City center generally. Any who I'm sick of it and would like to begin driving. Now I know no one can give me exact costs as to petrol insurance etc but I'm looking for a rough estimate if at all possible.

Some info on me I'm 25 i will be looking to drive a 1 litre car no more than 10 years old. The car will be kept in an underground secured car park when not in use. I will be travelling from D24 to D1 five days a week. First time driver. So based on all that can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much insurance, tax, petrol would cost me on a monthly basis.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Have you any ncb?

A 2008+ small car will cost 150 tax per annum
    a pre2008 <1l will cost 200 tax
    <1.1l will be 300
    <1.2 will be 330

Have you free parking in D1?

Are you a man? if so, putting a woman on as named driver will probably lower insurance.

pick a car, get quotes online for insurance prices.

Dont forget to add in a hundred for a car service and 150 every 2 years for new tyres and 50 for the nct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The AA calculates the cost of running a car as anywhere between €2,500 and €11,000 per annum before even adding the cost of parking.

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Cost-of-motoring.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Thanks for all the answers very helpful :) yes im a man and i would have free parking. I dont have a license yet. Basically trying to figure out roughly how much it would all cost to see if i could justify getting a licence and driving from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's really too many variables OP...

- The car you go for will determine things like fuel efficiency/costs, insurance (some will be loaded more than others if they're classed as "boy racer" types etc)
    - Tax is easy enough to work out by going to the motortax.ie site and downloading the rates for older CC (pre-08) and newer CO2 (08+) based cars
    - Tyres say 50/70 per corner for new branded mid-range tyres in a 14/15" standard size. Don't skimp on Chinese rubbish. They're known as ditchfinders for a reason

What kind of cars are you looking at? Might be worth sticking up a post here as well in Motors. In fact there's a very similar thread already up :)

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    What kind of cars are you looking at? Might be worth sticking up a post

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    What kind of cars are you looking at? Might be worth sticking up a post

1 litre micra or equivalent. Thanks I'll give it a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Are you a man? if so, putting a woman on as named driver will probably lower insurance.

that isn't the case any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Why are you sick of public transport?
    Is it time taken?
    Your fellow passengers?
    Cost?

Could a Mod move this to the Motors forum please ?

Advertisement