Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein to meet the Queen

• 22-06-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18552221
    Mr Adams said the decision was a "significant initiative, involving major political and symbolic challenges for Irish republicanism".

However, he said it reflected Sinn Fein's "genuine desire to embrace our unionist neighbours".

Following a special meeting of the Sinn Fein leadership, Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland Martin McGuinness will, next week, meet Elizabeth II at a charity reception in Belfast.

Probably more symbolic than anything, it does however represent a major shift in the doctrine of the party.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Didn't she die in 2002? (The Queen Mother?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

the queen mothers dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

:P

Ignore that. Was a mistake and I can't change the name of the thread unfortunately!

EDIT: Or maybe I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeBrugha

Why do Irish people say ''the Queen'' still??

It sounds like that she is your queen when you say that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

because no one gives a **** about the queen of holland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Haha, Kevin Myers' head must be exploding - even Martin McGuinness gets to meet the Queen, while nobody in the British establishment seems to give a **** that Myers exists. This whole "normalisation" of relations process must be giving a lot of WestBrit types a painful reality-check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

DeBrugha wrote: »

Because in the context of an official duty of the Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland she is "the Queen".

And she is useful when the property speculation goes tits up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

MadsL wrote: »

And she is useful when the property speculation goes tits up.

You've lost me with that one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

i dont see the big deal. psf already support the presence of her army in ireland. they support her police and law in ireland. they draw a wage from her coffers. why wouldnt the queen meet on of her loyal employees?

he'd have met her long ago only for they know it will piss of the growing number of dissillusioned grassroots. i suspect thats why the handshake will be behind closed doors. sure the dissos still loving rolling out the pic of mcguinness standing shoulder to shoulder with the queens police and political reps to call irish insurgents "traitors" after the masserene job. pic of him cap tipping her royal highness would be disso gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

At this stage it's literally SF looking out for their own interests. At this point in time there are a lot of Irish voters who will soften their feelings on SF if this happens leading to more voting for them and an SF lead country withing 5-10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Because they are attempting to communicate. And when they say "The Queen" everyone understands what they mean.

i dont see the big deal. psf already support the presence of her army in ireland. they support her police and law in ireland. they draw a wage from her coffers. why wouldnt the queen meet on of her loyal employees?

he'd have met her long ago only for they know it will piss of the growing number of dissillusioned grassroots. i suspect thats why the handshake will be behind closed doors. sure the dissos still loving rolling out the pic of mcguinness standing shoulder to shoulder with the queens police and political reps to call irish insurgents "traitors" after the masserene job. pic of him cap tipping her royal highness would be disso gold.

If Sinn Fein are an all Ireland party, as they claim to be, then they cannot appeal to the views of Northerners in isolation.

The recent visit of the queen has shown the more populous part of Ireland to be in favour of good relations with the royal family so why should a party, which claims to be attempting to embrace democracy, not mirror public opinion?

If Sinn Fein are an all Ireland party, as they claim to be, then they cannot appeal to the views of Northerners in isolation.

The recent visit of the queen has shown the more populous part of Ireland to be in favour of good relations with the royal family so why should a party, which claims to be attempting to embrace democracy, not mirror public opinion?

But they surely have to take there opinions into very careful consideration,What they don't want is some sort of Nationalist backlash from the dissidents who have more support here than is acknowledged from the media,SF in the republican/nationalist community still walk a fine line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Nodin wrote: »
    You've lost me with that one...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/priory-hall-residents-welcome-quashing-of-mcfeely-bankruptcy-status-in-uk-555577.html

Former hunger striker hides behind the Queen's skirt when it comes to declaring bankruptcy and claims Ireland is a 'foreign jurisdiction'.

realies wrote: »

But they surely have to take there opinions into very careful consideration,What they don't want is some sort of Nationalist backlash from the dissidents who have more support here than is acknowledged from the media,SF in the republican/nationalist community still walk a fine line.

Because the backlash would lead to a drop in support at the polls or because the dissidents will go out and murder a few more policemen?

If Sinn Fein want to normalise a 32 county view then they should strive to make what is normal in the 26 normal in the 6. And given the success of last year's royal visit then why not do the same in NI?

Because the backlash would lead to a drop in support at the polls or because the dissidents will go out and murder a few more policemen?

If Sinn Fein want to normalise a 32 county view then they should strive to make what is normal in the 26 normal in the 6. And given the success of last year's royal visit then why not do the same in NI?

Both as imo there is a sizeable minority of nationalists who are/maybe getting disillusioned with the way SF are going,The last thing the people here need is another spilt or a rerun of the officials/provisions of the early 70,s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Don't like this news .........don't agree that they should meet , let alone shake hands .

Don't like this news .........don't agree that they should meet , let alone shake hands .

Why not ? Imo its a very positive step, Cant see one thing wrong with it,But as always I am open to other peoples opinions.Tell me why you think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Anybody asked the queen wether or not she wants to meet mcgunniess

• Advertisement

junder wrote: »
    Anybody asked the queen whether or not she wants to meet mcguinness

I am sure there where lots of people asked before this announcement, Today's events where just for media and publicity purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

junder wrote: »
    Anybody asked the queen wether or not she wants to meet mcgunniess

Apparently she was all for it. Mentioned in an article somewhere.

I wonder what unionists and loyalists will make of it. Dawn Purvis seemed positive but I expected some might be upset and see it as betrayal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

She is my queen I'm a British sleeper agent.

It sounds more succinct than "the Queen of England".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

don't be fooled by this wolf in sheeps clothing. martin mcguinness and the rest of sinn fein had their chance to shake the queens hand on her trip here in 2011. sinn fein refused and even cleansed the garden of rememberance after her visit.

they are only doing this now because we, the irish people shuinned them for it. they alienated themselves the decent people in this country that saw how the queen was dignified, respectful and gracious during her visit.

i do however, have respect for Michael Browne, the sinn fein mayor of cashel because he shook the queens hand. the party denounced him immediately.

lets not be fooled, sinn fein play reverse politics, this is in an attempt to win back the support they lost for there childish behavior in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

lets not be fooled, sinn fein play reverse politics, this is in an attempt to win back the support they lost for there childish behavior in 2011.

I thought SF's support had increased since 2011?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

So what's left now, Ian Paisley meeting the Pope ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

don't be fooled by this wolf in sheeps clothing. martin mcguinness and the rest of sinn fein had their chance to shake the queens hand on her trip here in 2011. sinn fein refused and even cleansed the garden of rememberance after her visit.

they are only doing this now because we, the irish people shuinned them for it. they alienated themselves the decent people in this country that saw how the queen was dignified, respectful and gracious during her visit.

i do however, have respect for Michael Browne, the sinn fein mayor of cashel because he shook the queens hand. the party denounced him immediately.

Exactly! It's all a game, nothing about "moving on", all about the votes and the lost support. To me, it is authentic as any scene on the X-Factor.

Michael Browne met the Britihs Queen and shook her hand and welcomed her because it was natural and civic and the right thing.

SF are doing it now because they have analysed, and polled and saw how stupid they looked and are now trying to make this some propaganda victory of their maturity.

How many times have we seen this with SF? They castigate and condemn so many people who are progressive, only to then a short time later do the exact same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Two people shaking hands, I know so controversial. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Exactly! It's all a game, nothing about "moving on", all about the votes and the lost support. ......

You've evidence of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Nodin wrote: »
    You've evidence of this?

No offense Nodin, but SF have done this plenty of times before, they castigate some party or person who attempts to do something, then a short time later, do the exact same thing.

I don't think anyone in politics forum will argue that the number one objective of any party or politician is stay elected and in power and will change their minds based upon what they think will get them votes even if it is something, one year ago, thought was a terrible and premature act.

Advertisement