Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is elected member of the Dail causing havoc at Protest not sitting in Dail?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

johngalway wrote: »
    nice to see people stand up for rural Ireland for a change.

You are kidding right? Rural Ireland runs the country right now.

This from 2007 but it tells the story

http://politicalreformireland.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/fgsupport2007.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MadsL wrote: »
    You are kidding right? Rural Ireland runs the country right now.

This from 2007 but it tells the story

It shows nothing except a single political party with less than 50% of the vote in EVERY constituency it contested. That is what it shows. :)

The green party got an average of about 2% in that election in Rural Ireland. Despite being roundly rejected by the entire rural electorate they ended up in government, which is a calculated insult if you ask me.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It shows nothing except a single political party with less than 50% of the vote in EVERY constituency it contested. That is what it shows. :)

The green party got an average of about 2% in that election in Rural Ireland. Despite being roundly rejected by the entire rural electorate they ended up in government, which is a calculated insult if you ask me.

Would you prefer first past the post? Of course a single party will have less than 50% of the vote under a PR system. Whether you think it true or not rural TDs have a great deal of power (perhaps had) Look at the likes of Healy-Rae and Lowry.

By the way did you forget to respond to the other thread? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79351766&postcount=85

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

From The Irish Times:
    "Three-fifths of the State's population now lives in urban areas that take up just 2.4 per cent of the country’s land mass, according to a further breakdown of Census 2011 statistics released by the CSO today."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0426/breaking48.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

johngalway wrote: »
    I don't agree with Ming on much, but fair play to him for supporting the turf cutters, nice to see people stand up for rural Ireland for a change. We don't have a bog any longer, it was blanket bog and cut by hand, have to buy it in now.

Poor rural Ireland - it's almost like watching a re-run of The Field.

• Advertisement

Aw here, less of the rural ad hominem.

There are no Urban Independents is why they had no deal, except Finian McGrath who had a deal post 2007.

2/3 of the Cabinet members represent Cork Limerick and Dublin only. The only _really_ rural cabinet ministers are Deenihan and Hogan.

County Dublin, Limerick City and Cork city have around 1/3 of the population between them, that is all. The rest of the country has 2/3 of the population and is largely unrepresented at cabinet.

If rural means everyone not living in a town with 5000 people or more ...over half the population is rural. The 2/3 urban measure referred to by Monument includes metropolitan Woodford and Ahascragh in Galway and Lyre in Cork. :D

2/3 of the Cabinet members represent Cork Limerick and Dublin only. The only _really_ rural cabinet ministers are Deenihan and Hogan.

Simon Coveney isn't rural minded? And...

County Dublin, Limerick City and Cork city have around 1/3 of the population between them, that is all. The rest of the country has 2/3 of the population and is largely unrepresented at cabinet

Kenny and Gilmore are in the key positions -- Kenny may be from a mid-size town but is as rural minded as you get and Gilmore is from the "metropolitan area" of Caltra, County Galway. Then there's Coveney as mentioned above, Rabbitte grew up in Ballindine, Fitzgerald is from a village, Noonan is from a country area, and even Reilly is from the most rural of Dublin constituencies.

Then there's junior ministers. Kehoe went to agricultural college, McGinley is from Donegal, O'Sullivan may represent Limerick City but comes from Clare, Perry is from Ballymote, Ring is likely one of the rural minded people in the Dail, O’Dowd is very rural minded, Hayes might represent Dublin West but went to school in Ballinasloe, McEntee is a county lad, Creighton is a Mayo FG girl at heart, Sherlock is also from a country town and Kelly is from a village.

Ah yeah Monument, correct origination data ( and the Ahascragh I mentioned a whiel back IS the Urban bit of Caltra :D ) but those people play to their own electorates which are Urban. Enda represents Castlebar in the main. I drove past his ancestral home in Islandeady last week.

Nothing that Rabbitte or Gilmore did in their entire political careers has benefitted Ballindine or Ahascragh...they have both spent 2/3 of their lives either in Galway or Dublin.

If I suddenly arrived in DSE (Creighton) or DLD (Gilmore) explaning Turbary rights &c I'd hardly be electable would I.?? I'd tend to know my frappa from my mocha on day 1 I would. :p

And Junior Ministers have no clout in our system, we have a Cabinet and a Chief Whip to organise the backbenches......many of whom harbour dreams of a junior ministry in 2014 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

fair play to Ming

if other politians cared as much about the organisations they purport to be members of...

Are we going to rehash the rural vs urban whinging or discuss turfcutting and TDs civil disobedience?

@Sponge Bob - You still haven't answered my questions by the way .

• Advertisement

Enda represents Castlebar in the main. I drove past his ancestral home in Islandeady last week.

Enda is very, very rural or 'country' focused. You're joking your self if you think otherwise.

Nothing that Rabbitte or Gilmore did in their entire political careers has benefitted Ballindine or Ahascragh...they have both spent 2/3 of their lives either in Galway or Dublin.

You've jumped from the idea of been rural or urban minded to the idea of clientelism. Big difference.

If I suddenly arrived in DSE (Creighton) or DLD (Gilmore) explaning Turbary rights &c I'd hardly be electable would I.?? I'd tend to know my frappa from my mocha on day 1 I would. :p

No, but one of my local very central Dublin FG TDs voted for stag hunting not because he cared about it, but because it was the FG party line.

And not every rural area in the county cares about Turbary rights.

And Junior Ministers have no clout in our system, we have a Cabinet and a Chief Whip to organise the backbenches......many of whom harbour dreams of a junior ministry in 2014 or so.

Err... yes, yes they do have clout in the system. Everything from day-to-day clout in their offices to a closer working link to cabinet and, more importantly, a closer link to the political system of the top tier of government than others.

Since you mentioned chief whip: As already mentioned, FG's whip went to agricultural college and is from a country area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MadsL wrote: »
    Would you prefer first past the post? Of course a single party will have less than 50% of the vote under a PR system. Whether you think it true or not rural TDs have a great deal of power (perhaps had) Look at the likes of Healy-Rae and Lowry.

By the way did you forget to respond to the other thread? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79351766&postcount=85

MOD NOTE:

Please don't pull up issues from other threads.

Advertisement