Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find a job?

Options
  • 14-01-2015 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

How to find a job in Galway
    I am having a problem finding a job in Galway. I have done a job bridge for six months which didnt work out.

I have a bachelors degree in something I dont want to work in so i think that this works against me with ****ty jobs e.g. working in tesco.

i am looking for anything at the moment, I have tried on linkedin, monster, irish jobs, jobs.ie, galway advertiser and other places and i just seem to be getting nothing back. I have tried medtronics.

I dont know what else to do, is there any hidden gem somewhere in Galway? I could try move to Dublin but I really dont like it there and its so expensive to live!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

There are a lot more manufacturing plants in Galway besides Medtronic.

Boston Scientific
    Creganna
    Lake Region Medical
    Covidien
    Thermo King
    Merit Medical
    HP-Compaq

Try their HR departments to see if they have any unlisted vacancies or if they recruit through someone like Cregg recruitment/Kelly Services etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

A lot of jobs in Galway are found through word of mouth. Network as much as you can, maybe even take a low paid job just to build up contacts. I took a job I wasn't that keen on but met someone who recommended me for a better job when it came up. It's much easier to find work when you are already working and this seems especially true in a place like Galway where everyone knows everyone else! Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mymy88

Ok new to boards, so don't really know how this quoting stuff works, haha!

Anyways ya I am in contact with Cregg but it seems they only advertise the high level jobs, or maybe there just isn't that many normal level.

I am trying to get a low paid or basically any job, within reason at this point, seems I am over qualified or under qualified! Travelled to Dublin last week for an interview where it seemed she couldn't be less interested in me from the moment I sat down! Some people are so heartless and just don't care how much money people have to spend traveling to interviews! *rage face*

Thanks for your advice, pain in the ass looking for a job! Don't know what to do with myself!

Love some more advice from others too if anyone has anything else to say....

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Would you consider merchandising jobs?

Anything from 10 - 20 hours a week?

Depends, I need something for my CV at the moment cos i have been unemployed since September. Depends on the duties of the job? why do you know somewhere that is hiring?

• Advertisement

Depends, I need something for my CV at the moment cos i have been unemployed since September. Depends on the duties of the job? why do you know somewhere that is hiring? Like im not picky with a job but if its part time or casual it would have to be good because I would be losing some of my dole

mymy88 wrote: »
    Depends, I need something for my CV at the moment cos i have been unemployed since September. Depends on the duties of the job? why do you know somewhere that is hiring?

I'll PM you there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

get any job..get money..get off the dole.. get confidence, and it will hopefully snowball for u

best of luck

Did you get my PM?

Depends, I need something for my CV at the moment cos i have been unemployed since September. Depends on the duties of the job? why do you know somewhere that is hiring? Like im not picky with a job but if its part time or casual it would have to be good because I would be losing some of my dole
    chrysagon wrote: »
    get any job..get money..get off the dole.. get confidence, and it will hopefully snowball for u

best of luck

I'm hoping the dole situation doesn't cause issues here.

A lot of people don't want to earn less than what they get on the dole, which is a shame.

As already mentioned in the thread, you get more contacts when on the ground building up contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,705 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ned14 wrote: »

HP-Compaq

Bus Éireann haven't caught up, but most of the rest of the world knows it's just called HP now, and has been since 1998 :-)

Don't know that there's much manufacturing there any more, though. CPL handle what lower level jobs they have - and also ISS who do the catering and suchlike.

OP, if you're applying for low level jobs, say you were at college but don't go into detail about qualifications and the like. Don't lie outright, but don't tell the full story either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

It all depends on what you want to do really. If money is your main concern, go work in a call centre & try work your way up.

If your CV is your main concern, I would almost go with JobBridge, assuming getting a job isn't happening. From a career standpoint, it will be of far more benefit (assuming you pick a worthwhile role) & no one needs to know that it was a JobBridge position. Builds the CV nicely & gives you some experience. There's always the odd JobBridge position popping up amongst the nonsense where you gain useful, tangible skills, like this one for example.

If anyone is interested in a few hours merchandising every couple of days then feel free to give me a PM.

Normally 7am start till finish (normally about 2 hours or so).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'd recommend the Dublin move. If only until things improve. At least you'll get good experience.

ned14 wrote: »

Boston Scientific
    Creganna
    Lake Region Medical
    Covidien
    Thermo King
    Merit Medical
    HP-Compaq

Try their HR departments to see if they have any unlisted vacancies or if they recruit through someone like Cregg recruitment/Kelly Services etc.
    Bus Éireann haven't caught up, but most of the rest of the world knows it's just called HP now, and has been since 1998 :-)

Don't know that there's much manufacturing there any more, though. CPL handle what lower level jobs they have - and also ISS who do the catering and suchlike.

OP, if you're applying for low level jobs, say you were at college but don't go into detail about qualifications and the like. Don't lie outright, but don't tell the full story either.

Ya i have just applied for one in CPL they get loads of CVs tho i think cos they are a massive recruitment company. I havent heard of ISS, i dont think, must google it! Most of my experience is in hospitality which i hate but i dont care what i get at the moment. By OP do you mean factory jobs like operative? I hope its not a blonde moment.

token101 wrote: »
    It all depends on what you want to do really. If money is your main concern, go work in a call centre & try work your way up.

If your CV is your main concern, I would almost go with JobBridge, assuming getting a job isn't happening. From a career standpoint, it will be of far more benefit (assuming you pick a worthwhile role) & no one needs to know that it was a JobBridge position. Builds the CV nicely & gives you some experience. There's always the odd JobBridge position popping up amongst the nonsense where you gain useful.

Ya the problem with call centers are a lot of them are looking for bilingual people which is really annoying. Ya im applying for job bridges which are good but i need money but at the moment having something on my CV is my main priority, i do some volunteer work to try fill the gap but sur that can only go so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Any language skills? Whats you degree in?

jenno86 wrote:
    Any language skills? Whats you degree in?

No second language, my degree is in Earth Science :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

Ya i have just applied for one in CPL they get loads of CVs tho i think cos they are a massive recruitment company. I havent heard of ISS, i dont think, must google it! Most of my experience is in hospitality which i hate but i dont care what i get at the moment. By OP do you mean factory jobs like operative? I hope its not a blonde moment.

By saying OP the person is referring to you ( Original Poster)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

remember op, companies are seeking out competencies as opposed to skills per se... so have an honest inspection of your competencies (problem solving, teamwork, dispute resolution, etc... Google for more)... then think about scenarios - work or non-work - where you applied yourself and a particular competence and what was the positive outcome.... I know this all sounds theoretical but it'll build up your confidence and it's the type of interviewing you'll more than likely encounter... best of luck

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

cringe!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

I have a bachelors degree in something I dont want to work in so i think that this works against me with ****ty jobs e.g. working in tesco.

Trust me, Having done numerous interviews this very week, there is no such thing as overqualified for a so called "Sh*tty" job, Any business would be happy to employee such an overly qualified person, if they fit the criteria that they hire from. (I Hired people with a Degree in a field they didn't want to work in, and their positive attitude is why they got the job.)
    Travelled to Dublin last week for an interview where it seemed she couldn't be less interested in me from the moment I sat down! Some people are so heartless and just don't care how much money people have to spend traveling to interviews!

To Be honest, its up the the person being interviewed to make the interviewer interested, They would have interviewed ten, twenty people that day and if the person being interviewed doesn't make themselves stand out, they just become a crossed out name on the sheet.
    it would have to be good because I would be losing some of my dole

Its amazing how much peoples beliefs seep through when having an interview, without saying it, people betray their own feelings, Always need to be thinking positive about every aspect when interviewing
    jkforde wrote: »
    remember op, companies are seeking out competencies as opposed to skills per se... so have an honest inspection of your competencies (problem solving, teamwork, dispute resolution, etc... Google for more)... then think about scenarios - work or non-work - where you applied yourself and a particular competence and what was the positive outcome.... I know this all sounds theoretical but it'll build up your confidence and it's the type of interviewing you'll more than likely encounter... best of luck
    Very good advice, being able to give real life examples and not just hypotheticals makes all the difference

That Bus put Compaq in my head every morning... Makes me second guess myself.

Trust me, Having done numerous interviews this very week, there is no such thing as overqualified for a so called "Sh*tty" job, Any business would be happy to employee such an overly qualified person, if they fit the criteria that they hire from. (I Hired people with a Degree in a field they didn't want to work in, and their positive attitude is why they got the job.)

do u want to hire me? haha, I was working in a company and they wouldn't hire someone over qualified because they knew they wouldn't stay

To Be honest, its up the the person being interviewed to make the interviewer interested, They would have interviewed ten, twenty people that day and if the person being interviewed doesn't make themselves stand out, they just become a crossed out name on the sheet.

ya, I'm great in interviews, it's getting the interview that's the problem

ned14 wrote:
    That Bus put Compaq in my head every morning... Makes me second guess myself.

how do u mean?

how do u mean?

There's a Bus Eireann run from Knocknacarra area to outside HP every morning and evening. But the bus still says HP-Compaq.

On the note of "over qualified", businesses see you as taking the job as a gap filler and assume you'll leave after a while. In a lot of cases, they would prefer to hire someone they know won't move onto something bigger and better soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A jobbridge can only take you so far. Maybe consider doing another one if the last one didn't go well. Have you done interviews with a recruitment agency they might be able to help or a professional job coach? I understand what you mean its getting the interviews is an issue and doing well in interviews probably means competition is a bit more fierce! It depends with Galway, are you looking outside of the city areas as well in neighbouring towns say? Galway can vary about the job situation.

I'd recommend a Dublin move if you can get a paying job there. Sometimes you have to do something you don't like to get ahead in your career if you not happy you need to make that change as much as possible. Cork or Limerick is another option. Depending on the field of study you are in if you fancy a career change either do a jobbridge in something different or do a springboard/night course? A sales job or working in a shop or charity organisation shop might help? Volunteering in something else might help, what ever you can do to fill in the gap on CV!

I do think its easier to land another job when in a job already as you have less of a gap in between but that may not always be the case. I can only ever remember been offered one interview while on a job at any time so its not always easy to get anything sometimes. Its what you do to fill in the gaps on CV I think is more important be it volunteering, unpaid work, jobbridge, a course or working abroad. Be clear about what roles you are looking for though. Its a bit easier to get a job and go from job to job but some people aren't so lucky. Keep applying.
    Best of luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nigelpenman

Best thing to do man is just dress up nice on go on a massive resume drop, thats how i got a job and no one would hire me online as i only have a crappy 1 year visa

• Advertisement
Advertisement