Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a router to get a wifi signal from a Vodafone mobile broadband stick

Options
  • 04-09-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hoping that someone here can help me to get a wifi signal from a mobile broadband stick! I've tried googling but others don't seem to have this particular problem.

I have a Vodafone mobile broadband stick (Huawei HSPA USB stick) that Vodafone customer support told me would "plug and play" with a Vodafone modem. This doesn't seem to work though.

I've tried plugging the stick into an older (Bewan) Vodafone modem and it doesn't seem to recognise the stick is even there. I've also tried it with a newer Huawei Vodafone modem and here it gets stuck on the username and password. The username and password that I use to get into 192.168.1.1 on my PC doesn't seem to work here at all.

I know that the stick works, as when it's plugged directly into a laptop/PC, it will connect to the internet just fine. However, I need to get a wifi signal from this broadband stick sent around the house.

Should I give up on trying to use a vodafone modem for this purpose, and buy something like this? http://www.dabs.ie/products/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-3g-router-77RW.html If I go for a router with 3G capability, is there anything else I need to look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are you sure you're using the right username/password? The one for the admin page would just be for the web management GUI, you need the one for accessing the cellular network. Is there a password section in the software you use on the computer? It's probably something like vodafone@vodafone.com/vodafone or something like that (don't have a clue for Vodafone though).

Edit: Which dongle model are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'll try that, thanks! Didn't realize that there might be different sets of passwords :o

Oh and the dongle model is K3765.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Morgase wrote: »
    I'll try that, thanks! Didn't realize that there might be different sets of passwords :o

I could be totally wrong though! Never used this.

I've had a look in the admin page and there is a password in there alright, but no sign of a username. I've tried all sorts of combinations that I think could have been used but no joy.

Would you think the problem is then with the Vodafone modems that I'm trying to use? If I'm locked out because of username/passwords, I might be as well to get a 3G router gizmo I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement