Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Co. Donegal or Thinking of Moving Here? Post In This Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

Pique wrote: »
    Before you ask, avoid Long Lane, Meadowbank, Manor View etc.

There's a reason they're so cheap...and it ain't good.

Hey, I'm going to be looking for accomodation too in Letterkenny near the hospital, was looking at those places you wrote, Long lane, Meadowbank etc -Thought I was sorted with them being so cheap! Whats the story with them? Why are they so bad? Pm me if you don't want to post here, I'd really appreciate the info. Thanks!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Parafox

For those of yee in the know whats Knocknamona Cresent area like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Medic475 wrote: »
    Whats the story with them? Why are they so bad?
    Take 3 guesses and Im sure all 3 answers will be correct ;)

Medic475 wrote: »
    Pm me if you don't want to post here, I'd really appreciate the info.
    Mod hat on: Yes, if anyone wants to comment specifically on that area then please do so through PMs. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Naraic32

Can anyone tell me if Fairgreen Park is an alright spot?

pm sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

Im going to be purchasing a house in letterkenny in the coming year and I already live in the town but Im unsure of some of the areas if anyone can advise. Ive been looking at a number of properties in the Glen Tain area up above prumerica. I was up there today and it looked peacefull, can anyone provide anymore details for the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

grugni wrote: »
    Im going to be purchasing a house in letterkenny in the coming year and I already live in the town but Im unsure of some of the areas if anyone can advise. Ive been looking at a number of properties in the Glen Tain area up above prumerica. I was up there today and it looked peacefull, can anyone provide anymore details for the area?

Glen Tain is a nice development, only slight concerns would be there are a lot of rented houses in it, houses with flats on the side etc. While I'm sure most renters are ok, your always gonna have a lot of people moving in and out.
    Other concerns would be it is an unfinished estate, do you really need the hassle? Also it is a real pain to get onto main road if you want to go into town, traffic is always backed up

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

One bit of advice I would give you. If you are looking at a house try going up on a windy windyish day. Some places are really noisy at night with the wind. Also I would only buy in an estate beside an area of well maintained house with work done on the garden etc. as you know people probably own the houses. Most people renting are grand, but it only takes one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

Thanks for the info guys, Im going for a viewing in that area shortly

Im looking at another property in glendale manor, Im suspicious as the price is cheap for the size of the house. Does anyone know anything regarding that area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

Thanks for the info guys, Im going for a viewing in that area shortly

Im looking at another property in glendale manor, Im suspicious as the price is cheap for the size of the house. Does anyone know anything regarding that area?

AVOID

• Registered Users Posts: 1 abubakerbader

Hi there,

I'm new in letterkenny, i will stay a month!

Which place i should visit? where to have fun on the city?

Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Morelli's is good - nice ice-cream and pretty good coffee. The newsagents next door has killer slushies. There's Burrito Loco nearby, good burritos. The Yellow Pepper has a pretty awesome Early Bird special - food is very good here. La Fantasia for pizza and Italian. Up the High Road, Cafe Blend has great lunch offerings and pretty good coffee.

The shopping centre in the middle of town is a bit boring, but has free WiFi. There's a TK Maxx in the shopping estate - they have some wicked threads.

Universal Books has plenty of used books, CDs, movies - and and, these days, a big pile of guitar amps. The owner here knows things and is a great source of local info. Gallagher's shop is a must-see as it is a virtually unchanged example of the pre-supermarket 'Self-Service Store' that was the height of fashion in its heyday (over 50 years ago). I have yet to leave there without the item I went in looking for - they really have everything!

You can use Letterkenny as a base to explore the rest of Donegal, there are other threads in this forum that describe the good places to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

TroutMask wrote: »
    Gallagher's shop is a must-see as it is a virtually unchanged example of the pre-supermarket 'Self-Service Store' that was the height of fashion in its heyday (over 50 years ago). I have yet to leave there without the item I went in looking for - they really have everything!

Closing down sale now on.

The end of an era in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

Oh no! My favourite shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aaronbyrne1991

Hey just moved to letterkenny monday and there nobody around long lane were does ever1. Hang about. Also whats the graffiti scene like here

• Advertisement

Also whats the graffiti scene like here
    I dont understand the question unless you are simply asking if there is much graffiti around. If thats the case have a wander about and have a look for yourself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Multiple Threads on this topic merged. hopefully this will help answer some questions that people may have when moving to Donegal.

muffler wrote: »
    I dont understand the question unless you are simply asking if there is much graffiti around. If thats the case have a wander about and have a look for yourself :)

Is graffiti big down here and is there crews? ?//

Anyone in long lane area want to show me were to party, hang etc and were to avoide. Pm mr

Nope, there's nothing like that AFAIK

• Advertisement

Good God, you're in Donegal man

yea i guessed as much thanks its just there in dublin and even dundalk

you might get one in Derry but again not sure.

Edit: stuff like this COI
    Nothing stopping you from forming your own group though (as long as its legal etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

And they can stay there, it's a small town. and a nice one at that. don't need grafitti "artists" here.

And they can stay there, it's a small town. and a nice one at that. don't need grafitti "artists" here.

While I dislike the "tagging" seen in towns I do think that when done correctly and in conjunction with local authorites or businesses it can be very nice.

The beirhaus in Galway is a great example of this.

Before
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8088/8387714782_203c80e01e_h.jpg

After
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3091/2731515607_8e4ebf4a02.jpg.

The wooden boards over town that are painted by school kids or the other ones (like near the grill) show that it isn't always ugly or stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

danniemcq wrote: »
    While I dislike the "tagging" seen in towns I do think that when done correctly and in conjunction with local authorites or businesses it can be very nice.

The beirhaus in Galway is a great example of this.

Before
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8088/8387714782_203c80e01e_h.jpg

After
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3091/2731515607_8e4ebf4a02.jpg.

The wooden boards over town that are painted by school kids or the other ones (like near the grill) show that it isn't always ugly or stupid
    I agree it can make some run down places (pasts of dublin) look good when done correctly but when its just "my name" in a fancy font it can ruin the look of a place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

It's not the Bronx you're in now hey!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

Hi moving to letterKenny in 3 weeks can can any tell me nice quite areas thanks

vanessamee wrote: »

Do you drive? Is there anything you need nearby (parks, shops etc), and renting or buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Like Dannie mentioned above, if you're driving, there are a few nice areas. Out kiltoy is very quiet - Harmony Hill, Meadow Hill and Carolina Park. All three are very well maintained, quiet estates. Mostly young professionals and families. It's about a 2 - 3 mile walk into town and maybe 8-10 Euro in a taxi, depending on the time of day/night! Some do 5Euro runs too I think!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

Do you drive? Is there anything you need nearby (parks, shops etc), and renting or buying?
    Hi have a car, renting I would have to be close to schools and town centre.,

Hi have a car, renting I would have to be close to schools and town centre.,

Both secondary school afaik are both located near the bottom of town, around the area known as St. Eunans, These are both located near the center of town too and have houses around the area.

With the car though there are plenty of houses for rent on the outskirts of town but you will be moving away from a handy walk to anywhere due to a pretty silly layout and hit and miss local bus service

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sara_Howard

My friend has 2 free rooms coming available in his house, (which is lovely & cosy) at the end of march, I think he is going to advertise them on daft, I can send a link :)

Sorry but no direct links, this is more a Q&A and area guide not for advertisting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

Hey, hoping someone from Letterkenny can help me!

I am thinking of renting a lovely 3-bed house in Ballymacool Wood the green area.

Could someone from there give me some advice on the place I am seeing lots of bad reports about the place PM me so I can ask a few questions?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

I have a friend moving to Letterkenny on contract work and he is looking for digs or a rent a room accommodation. It will be arrive on Monday and gone again Friday for the next few months. Does anybody have numbers or contacts for people that may be interested. Thanks.:)

Iwernia wrote: »
    I have a friend moving to Letterkenny on contract work and he is looking for digs or a rent a room accommodation. It will be arrive on Monday and gone again Friday for the next few months. Does anybody have numbers or contacts for people that may be interested. Thanks.:)

There should be a few opertunities now around town for accomodation with students heading home for the Summer. Do they have any preference to parts of town or anything?

If not and they are just looking for a room try http://www.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/donegal/letterkenny/

The ads seem to be up to date too so should have some luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Well everyone, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here and point me in the right direction. I have only just heard disevening that I have to move up here for work,for about 4/5 months. Its based in a small village, Crolly. Where or what towns would you recommend me to begin looking for accomadation? Starting early next week so I d'ont have much time to gain knowledge of the area.
    Thank you

Well everyone, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here and point me in the right direction. I have only just heard disevening that I have to move up here for work,for about 4/5 months. Its based in a small village, Crolly. Where or what towns would you recommend me to begin looking for accomadation? Starting early next week so I d'ont have much time to gain knowledge of the area.
    Thank you

What are your considerations about where you live?

Do you mind a commute? if not how long?
    Do you drive?
    Any other needs required for the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not much in Crolly bar a service station and a pub, Gweedore would be close by and would have more amenities. Annagry & Dungloe are not too far the other direction & all of these areas seem to have places to rent on daft.

A lot of the rental properties in that area would be short term rentals to holidaymakers, so there should be no problem paying week to week or being tied down to leases or stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Thanks for the replys lads. Just heard im not starting until the week later so I have a bit of time, heading up on Wednesday to see what I can come up with, I was thinking of perhaps booking into a small B&B until I get settled in and find my feet.
    I do drive Dannie yea,and dont mind a small commute, up to half an hour. I seen ur post about renting rooms and that seemed very suitable if I could find somewhere close enough to the area. I'll get back to ya's during the week when Ive a better idea of the area and what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Hey I only saw this thread now!

Moved to ramelton just outside letterkenny on the 1st, can anyone give me advice regarding internet in that area? Feel lost without wifi!

Hey I only saw this thread now!

Moved to ramelton just outside letterkenny on the 1st, can anyone give me advice regarding internet in that area? Feel lost without wifi!
    My co-mod here, danniemcq, will probably be able to offer up some advice :)

Mates that are living in Ramelton are using vodafone broadband (or at least they were last time i was chatting to him) I'll send him an email now and see what he is on now cause i know he was thinking about changing it.

EDIT:

just got email back from him, vodafone does him fine for streaming and all usual internet stuff. Would that be what you would use it for or would you need something more (online gaming, heavy uploads/downloads for work)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

danniemcq wrote: »
    Mates that are living in Ramelton are using vodafone broadband (or at least they were last time i was chatting to him) I'll send him an email now and see what he is on now cause i know he was thinking about changing it.

EDIT:

just got email back from him, vodafone does him fine for streaming and all usual internet stuff. Would that be what you would use it for or would you need something more (online gaming, heavy uploads/downloads for work)?

That would suit me grand, my theory is if I want to download anything really big I can get my parents to do it and send it to me over a USB, damn them and their 100mb internet ha. Vodafone broadband seems to be the winner according to a lot of people, now all I need is for the last tenant to cancel their subscription, it's been over two weeks now and they still havnt done it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 JonnyMcC

Hi, I know a family who are looking at moving to North Donegal, with Portsalon being a possible location.

One important thing they'll need to consider is the internet - he works in video production from home and could be quite a heavy internet user. Would anyone know what sort of speeds would he be likely to get in Portsalon? How would it compare with somewhere a bit further south (e.g. Milford)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Benjyismydog

Hiya, I'm looking for a man with a van kind of a thing for tomorrow(16/04/15). Apartment removal. No furniture needs moving just boxes and things like that from one side of Letterkenny to the other. At reasonable price. The guy who normally does this is away and unable to do it.

If you know of anyone who could help pass them my way.
    Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

On a seperate note, whats letterkenny like to live in if one was to be successful in securing a role.

zweton wrote: »
    On a seperate note, whats letterkenny like to live in if one was to be successful in securing a role.
    Have a read through the thread where Im moving your post to and also have a root around the forum generally as there are lots of previous threads on this topic.

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Folks, I work from home and may need to move to Donegal town in a few months for my husband's job. My employer is based in the UK and doesn't much care where in Ireland I live so long as I can still access the company VPN. Does anyone know what providers offer good broadband with VPN capability to Donegal? (No, Vodafone won't support it; we have gone round and round with them already.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement