Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumcondra - Additional Bus Lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Surely the fact they're pushing the road 5 or 6 metres to the west means that they won't have to demolish any buildings?

Is it that wide? I thought they were adding a single bus northbound bus lane. If they did widen it fully at that point, it would be more of a chicane than a road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

Yeah its just a extra buslane northbound ,there's not enough space for the southbound side of the road , there's 4/5 properties on the eastern side of the road that would need to be demolished to widen the road for a southbound bus lane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭jd

iopener wrote: »
    Yeah its just a extra buslane northbound ,there's not enough space for the southbound side of the road ,
    You sure about that?

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-major-transport-projects/swords-road-qbc-enabling-works-st-pats
    These Works [known as the “Enabling Works”] comprise the setting-back of the existing stone boundary wall to St. Pat’s College (directly opposite the Cat & Cage Public House) in order to widen the road, and in-turn, accommodate the subsequent provision of both inbound and outbound bus lanes – these bus lanes (and associated road construction) will be carried out by a separate Contractor (again under the supervision of Dublin City Council), immediately following completion of the “Enabling Works”.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Subpopulus wrote: »

Ahh will you go away with your ole drawings and dont be trying to confuse the issues with facts. We were just getting it all worked up nicely in to a good ole rant about how we cant do anything properly in Ireland and if this was in another country they'd have fitted in a 7 tier free flow airport as well :-)

I cant wait to come up through this in the evening rush hour when it's open. i dont care if it makes any difference, I just have a sever hate for that piece of wall that juts out blocking the bus lane.

On another note they should re-designate the lanes on hte bridge and make the bus lane continuous. There's always cars going up the inside, legally, and then having to queue to try get back in and avoid the bus lane (unless they are driving a van with Northern plates!!) . It's only a very short section and the disruption to the flow is probably not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

cargo wrote: »
    On another note they should re-designate the lanes on hte bridge and make the bus lane continuous. There's always cars going up the inside, legally, and then having to queue to try get back in and avoid the bus lane (unless they are driving a van with Northern plates!!) . It's only a very short section and the disruption to the flow is probably not worth it.

The lanes are very narrow here, especially with the right turn filter for Richmond road, I dunno if there's room for full width bus lanes.

They could build a new pedestrian route above the existing bridge and use some of the existing path to make bus/bike lane space.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Any updates folks? Is this near completion? Any pics? Dont get down near the area to check it out myself.

I was at a meeting about transport in North Dublin last week. What happened here, according to Cllr. Noel Rock, is that DCC missed their slot for works on the road, and work at St Pat's College commenced. They should be able to commence the final stage soon, and finish within a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

thanks for the above explanation, what an absolute joke though! I attempted to come down the swords road at 8am this morning, big mistake, absolute joke at Collins avenue, no doubt compounded by the bus lane merging at the cat and cage, several years for a critical 80-100m bus lane, pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

What's left to do exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭SeanW

Collins Avenue has it's own problems :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Surely this is one of the least complex transport projects in the City. Why the delay for such a simple yet badly needed project.

The Corpo allowed Bord Gais/St Pats build a gas main just inside the old walls of st pats about 7 years ago.

This had to be moved, before any widening could happen.
    The project was then split up into smaller projects of lower cost.
    I don't know if this project splitting would have avoided open tendering rules?

The Drumcondra road got downgraded from a N to R road, so the funding is from the corpo pockets, not the nra's

Probably none of the decision makers in the corpo were affected by the slowness of the work...

just a few reasons/excuses

There are now two lanes in each direction. :) Think there's just some minor tidying up to be done.

:-D anybody up that way have any pics? will be v handy getting to airport

cgcsb wrote: »
    :-D anybody up that way have any pics? will be v handy getting to airport

Will be down that way in a while,

I went last night. The cycle lane's ... "interesting" northbound...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Thank God!

here's a few
    356200.jpg

356201.jpg

356202.jpg

356203.jpg

356204.jpg

and some more
    356205.jpg

356206.jpg

356207.jpg

356208.jpg

356209.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

I went last night. The cycle lane's ... "interesting" northbound...
    The one to no where? .Thank god its finished ,nearly 2 years of the house windows and cars destroyed with dust. Hopefully they repair the rest of the road and pathways they have destroyed during the works.

The one to no where?

Here I think
    356203.jpg

yep, there.
    It leads onto a footpath with big trees on the kerb side. and there's a cycle lane on the road right of them.

hard to see how the cycle lane works from the photos. Is there a new cycle path up on the foot path?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

hard to see how the cycle lane works from the photos. Is there a new cycle path up on the foot path?
    Hopefully because they have destroyed the footpath from the skylon to the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

What has the impact on traffic been since it opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Very hard to tell until the schools go back. It'll make little difference to traffic as the bottleneck will move further into Drumcondra but it means buses will be faster and more reliable as they won't have to merge there.

The cycle lane is only in operation 6 days, 7-10 & 12-19:00
    This includes the bit on a raised kerb with stanchions to seperate it from the bus lane passing St Pats college....
    :facepalm:

The cycle lane is only in operation 6 days, 7-10 & 12-19:00
    This includes the bit on a raised kerb with stanchions to seperate it from the bus lane passing St Pats college....
    :facepalm:

so what on Earth could it double up as outside those times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

so what on Earth could it double up as outside those times?

Parking.

Advertisement