Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Imelda May Show

Options
  • 07-09-2014 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

Filmed in front of a live studio audience, The Imelda May Show celebrates Ireland's love of music, hosted by the one and only Imelda May.

The show will feature chat and live performances from legendary musicians and brand new acts from Ireland and around the world. Guest include a host of international artists as well as Irish favourites and upcoming acts; Mary Black, Aslan, The Script, Paolo Nutini, Jools Holland, Wanda Jackson, The Riptide Movement, Damien Dempsey, Sinead O'Connor and many more.

Fans of the show can also watch extra exclusive online content on RTÉ Player, including additional performances and interviews with artists from The Imelda May Show, exclusive to RTÉ Player.

On Radio 1 each Friday beginning September 5th, Imelda May will take over The Ronan Collins slot for ten minutes between 12.15 and 12.30. During this segment she will introduce two songs and discuss the acts that people can catch on her television show.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/imeldamayshow.html

Seems like a bit of fun so far.

A bit like an Irish Later with Jools Holland ... with Jools Holland as one of the guests.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Imelda may is grossly overrated IMO. Very average, and if she had a normal haircut nobody would care less about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

What happened to her eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

nc6000 wrote: »

"Road rot" apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

nc6000 wrote: »
    Imelda May
    Well the Imelda May Show extravaganza is going very well. Still filming the series. Every act had been amazing so far!!! Only problem is my eye has mutated into a golfball (ice bucket challenge maybe?). So with the help of the crew and director Hilary at my side I'm now doing my best pirate impression..... Oooh Arrrgh Matey!!!

https://www.facebook.com/ImeldaMayOfficial/photos/a.118447191469.110792.108926911469/10152227650196470/?type=1

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Harmless enough show, but I don't get the fascination with Imelda May. She's very average in my view and seems to have been indulged by RTE over the years on the strength of Gaybo being a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Take the f**king patch off!!

Right so, let's make a Jools Holland style show with Imelda May hosting. Just so everyone knows it's supposed to be like Jools Holland we will make it very clear that the show is a rip off of his show and then, we'll get Jools Holland on...

Please stop saying Boogie Woogie...

Showcasing such up and comers like... Mary Black....

Imelda tries but she really can't interview people. She was almost starstruck by Jools and contantly fidgiting with that bloody patch which is clearly uncomfortable in both of the interviews so far. Nice work by the director to have the camera on her right side too there....

It's sad to see the Grannies and Grandpa's are always always to audience most considered by RTE with Mary Black so far and a bit of trad to come later. Sorry about the brief interupption by the Riptide Movement folks, normal service will resume asap.

EDIT: Didn't know about the eye issue but it still sucks balls so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I like imelda May. Her music is happy and it makes me smile.
    I do sometimes wonder if her accent is put on a bit. It seems a bit strong to be real but I don't see any harm in her at all.

I do agree that Gaybo adores her in a similar way to Sinead o Connor .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

genericguy wrote: »
    , and if she had a normal haircut nobody would care less about her.

So you mean people would still like her as much as they do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fair play in fairness to rte putting out a prime time music show, I can just mute the Imelda bits and enjoy it in sweet ignorance :pac:

Now if they could only get the quality of acts JH gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Her music isn't really my thing, but her laugh is infectious. And she seems genuinely nice, without a hint of ego.

Ah, she's lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

why are ye all in bad form people ? if you dont like some thing just get the remote and press 3e .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

That accent. :( (shudders)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,912 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

To echo Ray's sentiments, she seems genuinely nice with no ego.

If this was American, they would have her doing 'Hi Honey, I'm Home' sketches in between songs :D

*doorbell*

Oh, who could that be?

*opens door*

Why, it's Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats!

*wild applause*

What brings you here?

Well Imelda, we were just in the neighbourhood when our tourbus broke down.

Wanna jam, Brian?

Well, I dunno...hit it! Two! Three! Four!

*rockabilly*

:)

blond45 wrote: »
    why are ye all in bad form people ? if you dont some thing just get the remote and press off .:)

I turned it on to give it a chance so I'll watch the whole thing and express my opinions, positive or negative as they may be.

There is no sign above the door here saying "Only post here if you have nice things to say about the show" is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

To echo Ray's sentiments, she seems genuinely nice with no ego.

If this was American, they would have her doing 'Hi Honey, I'm Home' sketches in between songs :D

*doorbell*

Oh, who could that be?

*opens door*

Why, it's Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats!

*wild applause*

What brings you here?

Well Imelda, we were just in the neighbourhood when our tourbus broke down.

Wanna jam, Brian?

Well, I dunno...hit it! Two! Three! Four!

*rockabilly*

:)

Sounds great! I'd watch that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

RayM wrote: »
    Her music isn't really my thing, but her laugh is infectious. And she seems genuinely nice, without a hint of ego.

Ah, she's lovely.

I fully agree and the interview with imelda and Gay Byrne was lovely. Really nice to see her relationship with her parents and they had some funny stories. Seemed like a nice normal happy madcap family.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,284 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who were the guests tonight?

Just switched on.

Eeek! Why didn't they have Imelda sitting on the other side of the table and the eye patch wouldn't be so visible?

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's The Imelda May Mary Black Show!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It's Jools :)

• Advertisement

Who is this guy in the white shirt?

HOOTENANNY!

*checks calendar*

:O :)

Oh dear god she even just admitted that they (tried to) completely rip off Jools Hollands show LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Is "me aunty Kathleen" at it?

Imelda's interviewing style is like when someone chatty you haven't seen in ages bumps into you, and won't let you answer

"How are you?, haven't seen you in ages? Are you still working in the same place? Did you hear about Mary? That was a shock wasn't it?"

But she's so genuine and likeable, it's a nice chance from the usual misery questions you get on RTE1 talk shows.

Lead singer of The Riptide Movement

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Lead singer of rip tide movement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Oh dear god she even just admitted that they (tried to) completely rip off Jools Hollands show LOL

Apparently she sought his permission first, and he told her to go for it.

Instead of their usual live New Year car-crash 'effort', RTE should just pre-record a special episode of this. Although it would be funny if Imelda appeared on Hootenanny simultaneously.

On Radio 1 each Friday beginning September 5th, Imelda May will take over The Ronan Collins slot for ten minutes between 12.15 and 12.30. During this segment she will introduce two songs and discuss the acts that people can catch on her television show.

Should that not be a 15 minute slot, if it goes from 12.15 until 12.30

Ah well, I hope her preview is more accurate than the one Joe Duffy does for Liveline on Ronan Collins' show every day.

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    Should that not be a 15 minute slot, if it goes from 12.15 until 12.30

Ah well, I hope her preview is more accurate than the one Joe Duffy does for Liveline on Ronan Collins' show every day.

She'll need to press the button for the 5 min ad break so 10 mins is probably right :)

Advertisement