Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under The Dome [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **] (Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ep.2 out now. No cows were injured in this installment. A vital safety lesson is included about firing live rounds at immovable objects. There is also a tutorial on how not to burn rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Apart from the absolute stupidity of Coggins, thought it was a great second episode and managed to keep the action going...

It seems to be moving almost entirely away from the book at this point, so should be plenty of surprises for the readers as well as the non-readers...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

some silly bits, junior went from normal boy to pyscho in 6 seconds without explaination

i don't think drugs could explain the actions of the priest

the doctor fella was very old maybe redhead is need of some younger blood, but barbie is such a bad liar

and why weren't we shown the kid communicating with the scientist on the other side, and then later when the guy said the smoke was going to kept inside, we get a shot of the kid but he doesn't say anything, shouldn't smoke have been rising through the dome a little bit

if i was them i'd map it and go to the center in ep one,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

don ramo wrote: »
    tumblr_moymslDoc61r6y67yo1_250.gif

The cow got cut......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Excellent second episode. Just the right mix of progression on local sh*t (Junior, the propane, Barbie) and dome mystery (the kid maping it, stumbling on to the army experiment with the water, the radio station). They're also approaching the reality of the situation in great detail - Barbie hoarding cigarettes, the cemetery on the other side of the dome, the danger fire now presents, the first person to get cabin fever. Good stuff.
    some silly bits, junior went fomr normal boy to pyscho in 6 seconds without explaination

He seems like he was always quite unbalanced. He's just snapped. Quite enjoying that plot line.
    i don't think drugs could explain the actions of the priest

I think they do. He was high and careless, leading to the fire.
    and why weren't we shown the kid communicating with the scientist on the other side, and then later when the guy said the smoke was going to kept inside, we get a shot of the kid but he doesn't say anything, shouldn't smoke have been rising through the dome a little bit

I kinda wish he had shown the scientists... how else would they know the results. As for the water passing through but the smoke not....very minor, probably not even, book spoiler
    the water was being pushed through at high pressure from the hose, the smoke was just... floating around
    if i was them i'd amp it and go to the center in ep one,

I'm liking the kids exploration of the dome. I expect they'all start thinking about the centre point soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The pilot was quite good I thought, built up the story nicely and had a nice bit of mystery.

The second was only ok there are aome very annoying characters and some terrible acting.

We'll see how it develops, hopefully the acting gets better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Well said bacchus.

I didnt like how Truman the dog just ran off with the lads. I dont know why, I just dont :/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well said bacchus.

I didnt like how Truman the dog just ran off with the lads. I dont know why, I just dont :/

I thought the same. He stood there all that time with his owner's legs then went easily with the boys.

How long until Angie is noticed to be missing? And Junior was showing how unhinged he was getting when he grabbed Angie before the Dome came down/went up(Hasn't said yet whether it came from above or below)

Someone was worried about running out of air, but they should be okay with the amount of trees around. Other things will be a problem though with rationing having to start soon.

Nice to see Samantha Mathis in something as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Other things will be a problem though with rationing having to start soon.

There's a fine slab of beef just waiting to be bbq'd.

Anybody read the book? Does the book go into rationing much?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

There's a fine slab of beef just waiting to be bbq'd.

Eventually

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Well said bacchus.

:) I LOL'd when this happened... I imagined the train of thought in the dogs head... "Buh bye old owner! These owners can run!"
    How long until Angie is noticed to be missing? And Junior was showing how unhinged he was getting when he grabbed Angie before the Dome came down/went up(Hasn't said yet whether it came from above or below)

Is it only the brother she has that would be looking out for her? He's doing stuff so might not have noticed yet. It's only the 2nd day of it now I think and she was kidnapped on the first night.

Also, it came down, we saw it fall and the impact it made falling. Also, a dome rising up would have had a much different result :)

If I recall correctly,
    rationing and panic for food was only brought up late in the book, by which time the plot escalated very quickly and that aspect was never really fleshed out.
    . Considering this is planned to go for multiple seasons, I expect food rationing will feature heavily in the plot. Also, at this point it's fairly obvious they are diverging a lot from the book. Aside from some key plot points, I expect this will continue so events in the book aren't that relevant.

Bacchus wrote: »
    the water was being pushed through at high pressure from the hose, the smoke was just... floating around

i'd consider the heat from burning house as enough pressue, and why did they give us a shot of the boy if not for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Meh, some encouraging signs in episode one but episode two was pretty boring tbh. Don't see a whole lot of scope for development over multiple seasons but you never know.

Pretty ironic the role 'Hank' from Breaking Bad has got in this series...

i'd consider the heat from burning house as enough pressue, and why did they give us a shot of the boy if not for that reason

Seeing as you've already unspoilered my comment... :P

The water was being power hosed at the dome, gradually seeping through.

The smoke however, was just air molecules floating about. i.e. they weren't being forced through the dome. Also, who says no smoke was getting through. We're only taking one crazy guys word for that. A very small amount could be seeping through for all we know.

I think that shot with the kid and the water was just a nod that the army don't have a clue what it is and are experimenting while giving us a bit more info about the properties of the dome. I do think they could have had some sort of exchange with the scientists in that scene though.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Seeing as you've already unspoilered my comment... :P

The water was being power hosed at the dome, gradually seeping through.

The smoke however, was just air molecules floating about. i.e. they weren't being forced through the dome. Also, who says no smoke was getting through. We're only taking one crazy guys word for that. A very small amount could be seeping through for all we know.

I think that shot with the kid and the water was just a nod that the army don't have a clue what it is and are experimenting while giving us a bit more info about the properties of the dome. I do think they could have had some sort of exchange with the scientists in that scene though.

there was no reason for it to be spoilered?

when the crazy guy spoke about the smoke we got a shot of the kid.

a roaring house on fire is pressure, if it did get through you would have seen smoke on the other size of the barrier, i don't know the relative size of the make up of smoke and water, size of what can get through the barrier

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There was a lot of water being sprayed at the dome, but only a relatively tiny amount made it through. If a proportionately small amount of smoke made it through, it very possibly wouldn't be visible at all. Especially if you are trying to see it through all the smoke on the inside.

What I didn't get is why the kid didn't even try to show the scientists that at least some water was getting through.

there was no reason for it to be spoilered?
    I was just being overly cautious, so as not to spoil any of the mystery of the dome. No harm though really :)
    when the crazy guy spoke about the smoke we got a shot of the kid.

I didn't even notice that to be honest. I think that kid is the viewers proxy to learning about the dome so perhaps they are emphasising that he is connecting the dots or that he knows better.
    a roaring house on fire is pressure, if it did get through you would have seen smoke on the other size of the barrier, i don't know the relative size of the make up of smoke and water, size of what can get through the barrier

It was hardly roaring and heat is a different kind of pressure to physical force. This argument is getting a bit ridiculous at this point TBH. There are better things to discuss than the rate at which smoke passes through the dome vs water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,601 ✭✭✭squonk

I wikipedia'd the book so I have a fair idea of the general story and how it pans out. I'm delighted though to hear people who've read the book say that the show is deviating already from the novel. That'll be very good! Even so, I love the way the story pans out and it will make for great television I'd say. You can certainly see elements of that coming into play now. I just hope they don't go for the book ending really!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

stevenmu wrote: »
    There was a lot of water being sprayed at the dome, but only a relatively tiny amount made it through. If a proportionately small amount of smoke made it through, it very possibly wouldn't be visible at all. Especially if you are trying to see it through all the smoke on the inside.

What I didn't get is why the kid didn't even try to show the scientists that at least some water was getting through.

they know that the army/mad scientists cant hear them from inside the dom.
    if the smoke cant escape how is there enough air for theme to breath
    and why in the name of god did they call your man barbie

• Advertisement

Because his surname's Barbara.

There's obviously something about the dome that light and water(kind of) can get through but sound can't. Want to see other experiments like can heat get through if they were to heat it from the outside and what is it made from that they only get shocked the first time and it affects the machines.
    Early days yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

Because his surname's Barbara.

There's obviously something about the dome that light and water(kind of) can get through but sound can't. Want to see other experiments like can heat get through if they were to heat it from the outside and what is it made from that they only get shocked the first time and it affects the machines.
    Early days yet.
    i know is Barbara,could they not get some thing better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

It's a shotgun not a rifle :rolleyes:

Junior is annoying, and stupid, the female cop is getting very angsty too. Cop going postal was very predictable. Fair amount of ohmygodwhatarewegoingtodo Americanism in it, we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Didn't mind the Pilot but thought the second episode was turgid stuff altogther.

The acting was awful for a start and when the climax of an episode is a load of people trying to put out a fire (with awful sfx btw... i mean there's no excuse for a fire to look - special effects 101), it's not s great start for a show.

I'm all for a slow drip system for unraveling mysteries but it needs to be accompanied by a bit of action, decent characters and decent plotting. This show has none of these at the moment.

Hoping it improves though.

The whole house on fire scene was ridiculous I thought, littered with typical American show cheese.

I'm just waiting to see what episode the pregnant woman appears. She always turns up at some point in these types of shows.

The whole house on fire scene was ridiculous I thought, littered with typical American show cheese.

I'm just waiting to see what episode the pregnant woman appears. She always turns up at some point in these types of shows.

It'll be during an emergency where she suddenly goes into labour.

So that deputy is the one who played the hot girl from Death Race.

It'll be during an emergency where she suddenly goes into labour.

Probably.

It wont take place in the hospital (because that wouldn't have enough of a sense of urgency or danger). And most of the main cast members will be present for some reason or will have been arguing about something trivial.

When the baby is born all the cast members will look at each other giving that look of "look at this new miracle, we've been arguing about something so silly"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Don't forget that the baby will have some kind of magic/alien/superpower, probably being able to pass through the dome (along with the obligatory accelerated growth).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Footoo wrote: »
    Didn't mind the Pilot but thought the second episode was turgid stuff altogther.

The acting was awful for a start and when the climax of an episode is a load of people trying to put out a fire (with awful sfx btw... i mean there's no excuse for a fire to look - special effects 101), it's not s great start for a show.
    I'm all for a slow drip system for unraveling mysteries but it needs to be accompanied by a bit of action, decent characters and decent plotting. This show has none of these at the moment.
    Hoping it improves though.

This pretty sums up exactly my thoughts after watching the this 2nd episode. The acting was awful, that red haired character who is a journalist is so bad in this show. Still a air of mystery about the show that will keep me watching for another episode but more of the same and il have to leave it off.. heres hoping it gets abit better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

They have totally deviated from the book which I won't go into for spoiler reasons, but it's a lot darker. There isn't a single likable character you can identify with and root for. The way the fire started was an insult to the viewers intelligence.

Advertisement