Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noonan and Feta Cheese.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Feta cheese is the last thing I'd put in my basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

He is the man to lead us to the promised land :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

He is the man to lead us to the promised land :eek::eek:

Atlantis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

It was a harsh comment but grimly accurate. The only exposure to Greece is from the usual parasites who play their little credit default swap betting games. It's a sad state for a country to find itself in. Ireland is diametrically opposite - we've practically busted our asses to boost exports, improve competitiveness, attract investment and show we don't wear yellow trousers or talk about stupid tigers any more... It hasn't been nice but it beats being in Greece right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I prefer his comments, telling it as it is, compared to the utter crap for example that is expounded by the likes of SF and the Left on the Fiscal treaty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Im not sure how one isolated comment taken out of context means anything. Have you got a link to the full interview? (the link on the site doesnt seem to be working)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Greece would be as dependent on tourism as we'd be on multi-nationals so he has a point. It is broadsheet.ie though so probably taken out of context.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I heard his comment on the 12 O clock news. Newstalk had an economist on thier lunch time show talking about the contagion effect, and she didn't mention feta cheese. I had such high hopes for this governemnt but at the moment the comments;
    Noonan - "economy will take off like a rocket"
    Enda- "get a job"
    HOgan- "go home and look after the kids"

Varadakar made some inane comment recently as well but too early in the morning to remember it.

K-9 wrote: »
    Greece would be as dependent on tourism as we'd be on multi-nationals so he has a point. It is broadsheet.ie though so probably taken out of context.

I'm sure it's available to look at. It was pathetic to talk of another countries woes with little or no regard for its citizens. And he was laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭golfball37

I prefer his comments, telling it as it is, compared to the utter crap for example that is expounded by the likes of SF and the Left on the Fiscal treaty.

We are in hock to Greek banks for just under a billion of OUR money. I wish someone would put aside petty concerns over political nobodies and see the big picture.

The man is an embarrassment to this country end of, this has nothing to do with treaties or upcoming votes either. The man is a caricature of a creature and completely out of his depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

Greece - only recently joined the Euro. Up until they joined, what were their financial difficulties? I have a vague memory that they 'fiddled' the books in order to be accepted into the Euro.

- Was their financial position worse than now? If not, was it joining the Euro that caused
    the meltdown?

- Was their financial position better than now? If so, exiting the Euro may allow them to
    re-invent themselves back into Greeks, and re-develop their economy.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

Here he is telling us as it is. (From Bloomberg, yesterday) http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-16/noonan-says-ireland-alone-can-pass-eu-treaty-in-region.html

"There isn’t a country of the 17 euro countries at present who could carry this in a referendum, there isn’t a single country bar Ireland. If we can carry this that will send a signal out to Europe.”

What signal? The signal to say that we, if we vote no, are in disagreement with the majority of the population of the 17 countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

blowtorch wrote: »
    Greece - only recently joined the Euro. Up until they joined, what were their financial difficulties? I have a vague memory that they 'fiddled' the books in order to be accepted into the Euro.

- Was their financial position worse than now? If not, was it joining the Euro that caused
    the meltdown?

- Was their financial position better than now? If so, exiting the Euro may allow them to
    re-invent themselves back into Greeks, and re-develop their economy.

?

Here is a good article on Greece's problems from Vanity fair.
    http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2010/10/greeks-bearing-bonds-201010

Link taken from another thread on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

blowtorch wrote: »
    Here he is telling us as it is. (From Bloomberg, yesterday) http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-16/noonan-says-ireland-alone-can-pass-eu-treaty-in-region.html

"There isn’t a country of the 17 euro countries at present who could carry this in a referendum, there isn’t a single country bar Ireland. If we can carry this that will send a signal out to Europe.”

What signal? The signal to say that we, if we vote no, are in disagreement with the majority of the population of the 17 countries?
    What he means is that of the 17 countries, he believes that Ireland is the only country whose population would vote yes to this if given the chance.

And he's probably right - for many of the other countries like Germany or France, the treaty is a self-imposed shackle that could kick them in the arse later on. For other countries like Greece or Spain, voters are so scattered and disillusioned at the moment that any government-backed treaty would likely fail out of protest.

Yet it appears in this country that there's fairly strong support for it.

The "signal" he refers to is the signal to the rest of Europe that the Irish population are still committed to the european project and to finding reasonable and sensible ways to pay back our debt and work out our issues.
    Which may be a surprisingly important sentiment in the markets, when we have other countries like Greece who appear to saying the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Metro headline in August:

IRISH HOLIDAYMAKERS ATTACKED IN GREECE FOR NOONAN'S ANTI-GREEK RANT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Very ill informed comment by Noonan, also laughing while saying it, so much for European solidarity. Also where is our cheese thought we were supposed to be getting some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

20Cent wrote: »
    Very ill informed comment by Noonan,
    How so?

sarumite wrote: »
    How so?

You think his comments and laughter was appropriate?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Who or where gives any indication that he was laughing about it?

seamus wrote: »
    Who or where gives any indication that he was laughing about it?

He was laughing while saying it. Have you watched the interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I heard his comments, sad reflection on a senior representative of our country. He has form for letting himself down before and should be retired, so someone with tact could fly the flag abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

He was laughing

He was laughing while saying it. Have you watched the interview?
    Nobody's posted a video yet.

I heard his comments, sad reflection on a senior representative of our country. He has form for letting himself down before and should be retired, so someone with tact could fly the flag abroad.

Exactly. He is an embarrassment.

Appropriate is not the same as ill informed.

Appropriate is not the same as ill informed.

He is representing this country while he is abroad or talking with international media. And him laughing like a fool while talking about Feta Cheese and the woes of the Greeks is wholly inappropriate and embarrassing. It's one thing to give it to us straight but his performance yesterday was pathetic, small minded and worrying.

He is representing this country while he is abroad or talking with international media. And him laughing like a fool while talking about Feta Cheese and the woes of the Greeks is wholly inappropriate and embarrassing. It's one thing to give it to us straight but his performance yesterday was pathetic, small minded and worrying.

Again, I didn't ask about the appropriateness of it. Ill informed and inappropriate are not the same thing.

Again, I didn't ask about the appropriateness of it. Ill informed and inappropriate are not the same thing.

The OP is not about "ill informed" it's about appropriateness of our politicians. Where have I mentioned the term "ill informed"? Your the one going off topic.

The OP is not about "ill informed" it's about appropriateness of our politicians. Where have I mentioned the term "ill informed"? Your the one going off topic.
    :confused:

20Cent wrote: »
    Very ill informed comment by Noonan,

How so?

I specifically asked 20cent how his comment was ill informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

How so?

I think our connections with Greece consists of more than a few products on the shelves and holidays.

Advertisement