Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50m Men's Prone Rifle dropped from the Olympics?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Fastnet50

Is Rathdrum not a 25-metre range. Shame to see all the prone positions lying idle during the multi-discipline events. Personally, I hate to see any shooting sport going downhill. I know the Eagles and BRC still do a bit of 50 metre prone and would like to see it returning.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Fastnet50 wrote: »
    Is Rathdrum not a 25-metre range.

Yup, but all the competitions there are shot as scaled-down 50m competitions thanks to the way the targets work. The same rules, the same course of fire, the same everything except for the lack of weather. It's great for training in winter when the hours of daylight don't allow for much outdoors.
    Shame to see all the prone positions lying idle during the multi-discipline events.

The course of fire isn't particularly helpful when mixing with other disciplines so it really depends on how the range is laid out and whether or not the ceasefires can be done independently of other events on at the same time.

I'd love more options for shooting prone matches, but sadly it's not always as simple as clubs just adding one to the schedule for a day's competition.
    I know the Eagles and BRC still do a bit of 50 metre prone and would like to see it returning.

I've met one member from BRC recently at a prone match but he's been the only one I've seen in years. I can't remember ever seeing someone declare for Eagles, but maybe some of the lads declaring for some of the other clubs are also members in Eagles.

I know the eagles have 50 metre prone which is still active and not sure if the NASRPG hold a prone shoot there yearly. I see a few lads shooting prone on occasions in various clubs. Other than that and you would have to enquire. As I said before the other shooting disciplines have taken over from it to a large extent and BRC which shoot a lot of silhouettes still do prone matches albeit some of the less agile members shoot from benches as lying down and getting back up is too difficult. Still worth an email to find out.

The NASRPC is holding a 50 metre prone shoot in the Eagles grounds on the 11 march this year. Up on events on target shooting on this forum.

The NASRPC is holding a 50 metre prone shoot in the Eagles grounds on the 11 march this year. Up on events on target shooting on this forum.

That's a sporting rifle prone match, right? Are those shot scoped or unscoped? Which target diagram is used for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭SVI40

Normally. they are shot with a scoped rifle, and jackets and slings are allowed. The target is similar to the one the target rifle shooters use, but has a black bull, with, if I recall correctly, 3 to 9 rings in white.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Yes sporting rifles for the NASRPC shoots, and not too many shooting it around the country, I have to say I do enjoy it. I enjoy having to adapt from shooting say a 10/22 Gallery match where you could be firing 6 rounds at 2 targets in 8 seconds in some practices , and then head to the 50 m range and shoot a prone match where your skills or lack of them and the mental side come into play.
    Even though I have never shot it I'm sad to see the 50m prone being dropped from the Olympics.

SVI40 wrote: »
    Normally. they are shot with a scoped rifle, and jackets and slings are allowed. The target is similar to the one the target rifle shooters use, but has a black bull, with, if I recall correctly, 3 to 9 rings in white.

Ah yeah, I know that target. It's this one, right? I've shot it before using just my regular ISSF sights. It's just about doable if the lighting is right, but the black outer ring can be hard to resolve when you're used to a solid black ISSF target.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

IRLConor wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I know that target. It's this one, right? I've shot it before using just my regular ISSF sights. It's just about doable if the lighting is right, but the black outer ring can be hard to resolve when you're used to a solid black ISSF target.

Correct, 6 on a page, 4 to score, 2 for sighting.

A man at Harbour House last Friday with a new out of the box Walther KK555. Said he was going to shoot prone with it.

Got it sighted in all hitting the 9/10 ring at 50m after a while. Was a cold day with stout wind from the left.

IRLConor see you have an old match 54 Anschutz? how does it shoot for you.

• Advertisement

IRLConor see you have an old match 54 Anschutz? how does it shoot for you.

It's been a while since I've been shooting a match 54. I shoot a Bleiker these days, albeit in an Anschutz stock. It shoots pretty damn well. :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPSnChjB6XU/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMMAeSWhgUt/

Nice what ammo do you use.

Nice what ammo do you use.

Mostly Eley Tenex or Eley Edge over the last while.

Tenex is a rip off here to be honest, I use RWS R50s myself and find them as good. Hope to batch test some Lapua Midas this summer.

Tenex is a rip off here to be honest, I use RWS R50s myself and find them as good. Hope to batch test some Lapua Midas this summer.

It just depends on what tests best in your rifle and what price you can get it at.

I've had tested batches of Eley Tenex and Lapua Center-X. Thankfully the time I tested with Lapua it was Center-X and not Midas+ that gave the best result for me on the day.

I've only ever had the chance to test R50 in Germany and there wasn't really a way of getting the ammo home so I didn't bother testing. Their test system is a little weird too. They clamp the barrel, not the action.

Tested Eley Tenex in Birmingham and they clamp your action. Tested 18 batches and all of them showed fliers. Bought some of the best grouping but way too expensive. Harbour house sell R50s on Saturdays and you can test a few different batch numbers, also Hilltop carry a fair supply and will also let you batch test one box at a time. Both have proper bench rest 50 metre ranges to test on. In harbour house it is 118 euro a brick and Hilltop 125euro a brick. Heard some good results on Center X so hoping to try some at the Lapua testing. I shoot a lot of bench rest so ammo is vital as a point lost can drop you way down the leader board. Currently have an Anschutz 1913 with a new Benchmark barrel fitted and a Sako finnfire with a profiled Benchmark barrel for international sporter and also have a 1913 Anschutz with aluminium stock which shoots great. All in all I found the R50s to be more consistant with little or no fliers.

Tested Eley Tenex in Birmingham and they clamp your action.

Yup. I've tested with them and Lapua in Dungannon and both used the same rig (action in a vice in a polytunnel onto an electronic target).
    Tested 18 batches and all of them showed fliers. Bought some of the best grouping but way too expensive.

Yeah, you're not guaranteed to get a batch that works with your rifle. Rounds that work well in one rifle might pattern like a shotgun in another. It's why testing is so important.
    Harbour house sell R50s on Saturdays and you can test a few different batch numbers, also Hilltop carry a fair supply and will also let you batch test one box at a time. Both have proper bench rest 50 metre ranges to test on. In harbour house it is 118 euro a brick and Hilltop 125euro a brick.

That's roughly the same as Tenex if you buy it in bulk from Intershoot at the current GBP-EUR rate. If you buy 5,000 or more you get a 5% discount, so in those volumes Tenex is £104.50 / €121 a brick. Edge is £61.75 / €71.50 a brick. They're also selling Lapua Center-X at £70.30 / €81.40 per brick. Even if you're not getting 5,000+ you can probably do a good bit better than ~€120/brick for competitive ammo.

Checked that out already. Know a guy paid over 18 euro a box down here and we all know who the agent is. A total rip off and I wouldn't buy a box of matches off them typical of what has been going on here for ages.

Advertisement