Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can someone walk me through satellite tv +/- broadband options

• 11-10-2015 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi there.
    So i bought a little rundown bungalow in st margarets county dublin and have been doing it up. Im now looking at getting broadband and tv in and find myself in a tiny black hole in terms of 21st century technology! The fastest eir can provide is 1mb, not good enough for a tv package. Ditto for upc using their address finder.
    I think this is leaving me with only a satellite dish for tv and satellite or mobile phone mast for internet...unless someone has other suggestions! ive never found myself in this situation before and hoping for some direction as to finding out about the various options. I would historically be a moderate to heavy internet user between movies and netflix so am thinking mobile mast for that though happy to be told otherwise if that thinking is flawed...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Sky for TV if you want the subscription channels or Freesat/Saorview if not.

For broadband, maybe a local Wireless ISP might be a better option than a mobile provider. Have a look at the Ireland Offline coverage map, place the marker on your location and tick the Wireless ISP box (top left).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭brianiac

The Cush wrote: »
    Sky for TV if you want the subscription channels or Freesat/Saorview if not.

For broadband, maybe a local Wireless ISP might be a better option than a mobile provider. Have a look at the Ireland Offline coverage map, place the marker on your location and tick the Wireless ISP box (top left).

So I can get the subs? I wasn't sure! Only the poverty 1-4 as a young 'un.
    Thanks for the wireless isp idea, had never heard of it. Does line of sight in this context only refer to the mast being above the horizon?.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

brianiac wrote: »
    So I can get the subs? I wasn't sure! Only the poverty 1-4 as a young 'un.

Once your dish has a clear los to the SE, i.e. no nearby obstacles such as trees or tall buildings, Sky and/or Freesat (same dish) will be available to you. Using the dish, the Irish channels are only available via the Sky sub, if you opt for Freesat for the UK channels then an aerial will be required for the Irish channels (Saorview).
    brianiac wrote: »
    Thanks for the wireless isp idea, had never heard of it. Does line of sight in this context only refer to the mast being above the horizon?.

Basically yes, clear los required between an external antenna mounted on your house and the WISP base station. They will do a site test to check the signal.

Advertisement